Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single click/knock noise when accelerating or slowing to a stop - MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a brand new MYP, and ever since pick up, I've noticed that when accelerating even just very lightly to say, 10mph, there will be a small short clicking noise coming from what sounds like the driver's side rear axle.

When I slow down to a stop, it also seems to be triggered. It's quite frustrating to have this on a new car... I did a search and all I could find was what sounds like a similar issue for an older MX.

Any MYP owners having this issue?

Reactions: beachmiles
I recently took delivery of a MYP a few weeks ago and I noticed the sound today. I found it was the seat making the clicking sound. I was able to reproduce the sound by leaning in the seat in different directions and moving it with my hand when I was out of the car. I sent a message to the service advisor and I'm waiting on a response. its loud and very aggravating.

What ended up being the cause of the clicking?
They greased the axle and it’s mostly dissipated. I might bring it in again later to see if they can look at any other causes.
I recently took delivery of a MYP a few weeks ago and I noticed the sound today. I found it was the seat making the clicking sound. I was able to reproduce the sound by leaning in the seat in different directions and moving it with my hand when I was out of the car. I sent a message to the service advisor and I'm waiting on a response. its loud and very aggravating.
I will try to see if it’s also my seat too.
because as you know sound can be difficult to find the location of and sometimes it sounds like it’s coming from the back of the car when they’re actually underneath you

I am hearing a clicking noise in the same scenario; slight acceleration to about 10mph and also regen from same speed. I hear 2 clicks. SC recently (about a month ago) replaced both front shafts but since I don’t normally have my windows down I’ve only heard this recently.

Mine has seemingly gone away - SC said they greased the rear axle or something like that. AT first when I received it back after service it still happened sometimes, but now maybe after it's been broken in, I think it maybe happens only 5% of the time anymore.

Mine has seemingly gone away - SC said they greased the rear axle or something like that. AT first when I received it back after service it still happened sometimes, but now maybe after it's been broken in, I think it maybe happens only 5% of the time anymore.
Interesting. Found another thread where it was mentioned that the axel nut may be slightly loose. And quick tightening of the nut fixes the issue. Makes me wonder if they didn’t properly torque down the nut when my axels were replaced(??). Will try that but need to get torque specs first.

I just noticed this when my wife was backing into the garage. I was standing outside and heard the axle click every time she inched back. The service tech seemed to know what the issue was right away- "greased and retorqued axles"

1631314091881.jpeg

I just went thru this as well on my TM3. It started last summer I guess (could have been winter but had the windows up) where I would hear a click sometimes, and as the year progressed I started hearing it from both sides of the car slightly out of sync, it got more and more reliable on first start and just before it stopped into the fall. I have a friend who got his car the same day (but has half the miles) so I listened to him accelerating or quickly slowing to a stop and heard NOTHING so I finally to around to making a service appointment for this week.

I was told the same thing, axel spline getting dry and needing lube. They put it up on the rack and had it back to me the same day. I have yet to notice the formerly completely reliable sound.

I think I have the same noise in my Jan 2021 built MYP. Started after several months in August 2021. First from one side. Then on both sides. It’s a metallic click sound that at first I thought I got something loose under the rear seats. But then we heard it from the outside too. It only happened under rapid acceleration and deceleration (so there is a toggled shift of something in suspension in both directions. Lately it happens when going over large bumps like entering a driveway curb. So vertical acceleration too.

When I finally took it to Tesla service in Nov 2021, they changed all rear brakes, rotors, pads, lubed all they could and retorqued every bolt. It did not solve problem.

Next day I was accepting that the whole car will have to be taken apart but got a message from service that they consulted with Tesla engineering and apparently it’s a known issue that Tesla knows and is working on a fix for. Message says “the noise is coming from where the subframe bolts up in the rear of the vehicle.” But is not a safety issue (wheels won’t come off).

I followed up just a few weeks ago in mid-Feb 2022 and there is still no fix for it.

I’m thankful Tesla was very forthcoming with the cause of the noise.

The noise to the best of my interpretation sounds like two large steel balls collide. It’s always a single click per each side. I got used to it by now but worries me a bit it started happening lately with vertical accelerations when going over large bumps.

Anyone else has this or knows more? Diagrams of where this is actually happening and potentially how?