Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM radio on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sirius Xm is hardly a reason to not get the car. You can always use the app/ get a external radio or use a Alexia auto. I just use the app right now in my S. Tax credits aren't Tesla's fault. I really think that congress should change the EV tax credit and make it only for cars produced in America. Help with jobs here. Right now GM and Tesla are the only companies that don't get it. Blame the govt for that one though. Not sure what inconvenience you are talking about with charging the car also kind of had to know your situation with that when you ordered the car. I find it much more convenient then a gas car because I never have to go to the gas station. Plug in at night and it is good to go. Sounds like the car isn't a good fit for you so you should find a car that you will be happy with.
The inconveniece comment really refers to planning stops on road trips. I have owed 2 Leafs and currently have 1 with 85k miles on it. So I am familiar with the benefits of no gas fill-ups. It will be nice to not have to charge every day just for communting. As for the tax credits, I know they are proposing a $12.5k credit for Teslas, but I don't have a lot of faith in Capitol Hill. I hope I am wrong and they get the Green Energy bill passed as it currently stands with regards to tax credits this year. Having to go to an App on my phone or pay more for Spotify is clunky when we are talking about all the technology built in to this car (just saying). I don't drink the Apple koolade so no SIRI.

The inconveniece comment really refers to planning stops on road trips. I have owed 2 Leafs and currently have 1 with 85k miles on it. So I am familiar with the benefits of no gas fill-ups. It will be nice to not have to charge every day just for communting. As for the tax credits, I know they are proposing a $12.5k credit for Teslas, but I don't have a lot of faith in Capitol Hill. I hope I am wrong and they get the Green Energy bill passed as it currently stands with regards to tax credits this year. Having to go to an App on my phone or pay more for Spotify is clunky when we are talking about all the technology built in to this car (just saying). I don't drink the Apple koolade so no SIRI.
The built in nav in the car will plan all charging stops through super chargers so pretty easy to use. The long range and performance M3 support 250kw charging so charge up quicker as well. That being said I wouldn't buy a EV if I took lots of road trips. Charging time will be a issue with any EV. Tesla being your best option though because of the supercharger network and longer range of their cars. I don't see that tax credit happening with the current congress. Not Tesla's fault though either so can't blame them on that one. There are rumors that Tesla may be adding more streaming music options in the near future. That being said if this is a deal breaker for you I wouldn't buy a car based on what may come. I wish Tesla had car play/ android auto but don't see that happening. If it is just XM get a radio from them and use it. I wouldn't give up the rest of the stuff I love about my car over that. Your car though have to get what you like.

No Sirus XM is REDICULOUS!!! I noticed this when I test drove the car and discussed with the rep. I went ahead and ordered and take delivery next week but even though I already have a check in hand from the bank to give Tesla, I am considereing cancelling! Not just over this stupid cheap-out on Tesla's part but also because there are no tax credits for Teslas either. The rep played dumb when asked that question so I asked my accountant after ordering, only for him to respond "sure they have tax credits". After doing a little research, I found out quickly that my account didn't know what he was talking about either. After paying $60k or more for a car that already has certain incovenieces ie..(charging), it is really insulting that Tesla wants to nickle and dime you for radio service!

I also like Sirius XM. Very much, in fact. So, I stream it from my phone. I've also learned to adapt to Spotify occasionally too.

If this is the kind of thing that will set you off, I'm honestly not sure Tesla is for you. It's not a traditional car company, and operates in their own way. A little adaptation is necessary. If you consider not having an XM radio "insulting", I don't know what to say, other than this may not be the right vehicle for you. Suggest maybe trying a VW ID4 instead.

What I don't get it why are we talking about the XM hardware? They also offer a streaming service, so just like we log into Spotify or use Slacker, we should very easily be able to log into SXM and stream. One of my biggest grievances about my M3!

Reactions: THXULTRA
What I don't get it why are we talking about the XM hardware? They also offer a streaming service, so just like we log into Spotify or use Slacker, we should very easily be able to log into SXM and stream. One of my biggest grievances about my M3!
I would love if they added xm to the streaming services built in the car. Rumor has it they are looking to add more streaming services so keeping my fingers crossed xm will be one of them...

Reactions: mycroftxxx
I would love if they added xm to the streaming services built in the car. Rumor has it they are looking to add more streaming services so keeping my fingers crossed xm will be one of them...

If you see the way Model S/X had their XM radio redone about a year ago, it sure looks streaming-ready. Hopeful they make the backend change necessary for it.

Reactions: THXULTRA
The whole point of Sirus XM is.... satellites. New England has a lot of cell dead spots because folks want "pristine views' of the country side thus no cell towers . XM makes it a seamless experience and never get 'buffering'. Can't believe Tesla doesn't take advantage of that.

Reactions: jrmt23
The whole point of Sirus XM is.... satellites. New England has a lot of cell dead spots because folks want "pristine views' of the country side thus no cell towers . XM makes it a seamless experience and never get 'buffering'. Can't believe Tesla doesn't take advantage of that.

They do - you just need a Model S or X.

For the Model 3 and Y, you can use the cellular streaming option for Sirius XM.

Reactions: gglockner
Tesla doesn't include floor mats, and anyone is surprised there is no Android Auto, Sirius XM or Apple Car Play? 😂

If you really need these features though and don't mind paying $550, here ya go;

Hansshow Compatible with Tesla Model 3/Model Y 10.25" Steering Wheel Center Console Mono Audio Backup+Camera +Android/iOS+ Apple Wireless/Wired Carplay+WiFi+GPS+2 Bluetooth +OTA Upgrades+USB​

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a search but didn’t find anything specifically about this.

I know the model 3 doesn’t come with Sirius ready to go.
The idea of steaming through my phone is beyond annoying.
Is it possible to get to the Sirius site through the browser and just stream it through there?

Thanks

Did a search but didn’t find anything specifically about this.

I know the model 3 doesn’t come with Sirius ready to go.
The idea of steaming through my phone is beyond annoying.
Is it possible to get to the Sirius site through the browser and just stream it through there?

Thanks
You will be better off using BT and mounting your phone next to your screen, then just flipping through your stations or favourites through the phone, then using the web browser. I find the web browser to be a bit to slow and cumbersome compared to using my phone, when it comes to using Sirius XM.

Tesla doesn't include floor mats, and anyone is surprised there is no Android Auto, Sirius XM or Apple Car Play? 😂

If you really need these features though and don't mind paying $550, here ya go;

Hansshow Compatible with Tesla Model 3/Model Y 10.25" Steering Wheel Center Console Mono Audio Backup+Camera +Android/iOS+ Apple Wireless/Wired Carplay+WiFi+GPS+2 Bluetooth +OTA Upgrades+USB​

Beware of this "solution" from Hansshow. Read my impressions before even thinking of blowing your money on this piece of junk. Go to this link and it's post #95.

In 18 months we will start thinking about what EV we want to be driving 24 months from now. Things like no support for Sirius XM nor for CarPlay / Android Auto weigh heavily against a second Tesla, even though we like the car very much aside from this and the terrible navigation UI. We don't like that much, either. Don't get me wrong, lots of good things about the car and we like it overall, but these issues poke us in the eye every time we get in the car. They really need to just suck it up and do what customers want instead of telling us what we ought to want.

On a side note, I see the Model S is getting Sirius XM
In 18 months we will start thinking about what EV we want to be driving 24 months from now. Things like no support for Sirius XM nor for CarPlay / Android Auto weigh heavily against a second Tesla, even though we like the car very much aside from this and the terrible navigation UI. We don't like that much, either. Don't get me wrong, lots of good things about the car and we like it overall, but these issues poke us in the eye every time we get in the car. They really need to just suck it up and do what customers want instead of telling us what we ought to want.
Terrible Navigation UI? It's Google Maps. Not sure what you mean by terrible UI?

Reactions: Pkmmte and hcdavis3

I’m thrilled to NOT have CarPlay. It’s a crutch to use lousy apps in an even lousier way. Would much rather have them work on further developing the UI than integrating that hack.

Thought I'd be upset without SiriusXM but Spotify being built into the Tesla entertainment is more than enough, thousands of playlists to pick from, plus my own
I literally just use someone's SiriusXM Octane playlist.. Exactly the same music without the DJ's trying to be funny... I wouldn't mind the SiriusXM app in the car though.. I have the lifetime package..

I read somewhere that they are looking at a 'store' for the car though.. provide some optional apps.. and SiriusXM was on the list..