Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM radio on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
spotify has been out 3 years and still isn't close to feature parity. at this rate, tesla will never catch up to carplay/android auto and native.
Much prefer the Tesla apps. CarPlay and AA both severely limit the ability to scroll through a list of anything. Whether it’s songs, address book contacts, audio channels, messages or whatever. I believe it’s limited to 20 or 25 items (has been a couple years, I forget the exact number…)

That, singularly, makes CarPlay worthless in my book.

Much prefer the Tesla apps. CarPlay and AA both severely limit the ability to scroll through a list of anything. Whether it’s songs, address book contacts, audio channels, messages or whatever. I believe it’s limited to 20 or 25 items (has been a couple years, I forget the exact number…)

That, singularly, makes CarPlay worthless in my book.
that's because it's actually designed for use in a car. large, easy to see text is more important. but im sure with the large screen size/resolution of the tesla screens, they can adjust.

that's because it's actually designed for use in a car. large, easy to see text is more important. but im sure with the large screen size/resolution of the tesla screens, they can adjust.
It’s so hobbled, it’s worthless IMO. If I want to listen to music from AC/DC to The Animals, great. Everything else doesn’t exist.

Good thing I can find Al in my address book, but Charlie’s off limits.

It’s a silly interface with silly restrictions, clearly designed with lawyers in mind.

I’ll take Tesla’s implementation 20 out of 10 times.

Reactions: Pkmmte and DCGOO
I’m thrilled to NOT have CarPlay. It’s a crutch to use lousy apps in an even lousier way.
This statement (the first sentence) makes zero logical sense. If something is available that you chose not to use, it has zero impact on you, the user.

And the apps are not "lousy". You don't like them: fine, but they are far superior to the woefully inadequate UI of the built-in Tesla system, which is clearly the best that the 90's have to offer.

Reactions: ochompsky
This statement (the first sentence) makes zero logical sense. If something is available that you chose not to use, it has zero impact on you, the user.

And the apps are not "lousy". You don't like them: fine, but they are far superior to the woefully inadequate UI of the built-in Tesla system, which is clearly the best that the 90's have to offer.

... except that they are not superior. Not even close. Hiding my data - stopping any list items beyond 20 - is woefully ridiculous.

Now as for CarPlay? Yes I am thrilled to NOT have it. It's a drain on resources - both on the system and the engineers. Simpler is better.

Again, just my opinion, which is worth exactly what it costs... i.e. nothing!

Reactions: Pkmmte
Got my M3 last week, and have been using my phone to stream SXM. It’s adequate, but not as convenient as using an SXM app built into the infotainment system. My main pet peeve is inability to change channels from the steering wheel controls, and voice commands via Alexa Auto is unacceptable for me - I hate voice commands for most things. So I disable screen blanking when the miniplayer is active, have my favorites screen showing, and tap the icon if I want to change stations. :rolleyes:

Other than that, I’m reasonably happy with this solution - but still hoping for a Tesla infotainment integration for SXM in the not too distant future…

Reactions: The Meal
Sorry for the typo. I meant to type "Another SXM Question"

Hi to the brother and sisters of the teslahood,

I've been in I.T. for most of my adult life and retired about three years ago. While I get that there is no Sirius XM "mechanical" capability, the 3 does appear to have connectivity for one year then it's a monthly cost. So if you can you a browser, shouldn't I be able to go to Stream top music, sports, news and talk radio on SiriusXM, the same browser page I stream to for my home recording DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)?

Why would I stream through my phone if the car has an internet browser? I really like my SXM.

Sorry for the typo. I meant to type "Another SXM Question"

Hi to the brother and sisters of the teslahood,

I've been in I.T. for most of my adult life and retired about three years ago. While I get that there is no Sirius XM "mechanical" capability, the 3 does appear to have connectivity for one year then it's a monthly cost. So if you can you a browser, shouldn't I be able to go to Stream top music, sports, news and talk radio on SiriusXM, the same browser page I stream to for my home recording DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)?

Why would I stream through my phone if the car has an internet browser? I really like my SXM.
Because the browser will only stream while parked. All media streams are blocked when moving for safety reasons, except of course the question remains as to why audio streams are blocked as well as video. I use Qobuz for streaming at home and while I can get it on the browser in the car it stops as soon as I hit drive. In order to listen I need to stream it on my phone over Bluetooth, which sucks in its own right.

So now that it is an official app, how much do you want to bet that the audio quality in the car is even lower than the already low quality of SXM. I tried SXM (I think it was just XM at the time) and found it to be unlistenable. Play anything over Sirius and then play that same track on CD, Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify or even LP. You'll immediately hear what Sirius leaves out. Sirius barely achieves AM radio quality.

This is what I was referring to.. talk about adding Tidal and SXM app capabilities to all cars.

1632604513406.png

No, this, from NotaTeslaapp.com. It is in the latest release. It is showing only for Model S but it won't be long for general release. Unless of course the S has special hardware for it.

View attachment 714386View attachment 714386
There is special hardware (the antenna) in the S.

I miss XM too and honestly streaming from my phone is great if I could change channels easier. Even if the buttons on the app were bigger or they had a “car mode”

Should have nothing to do with having hardware in the car. Sirius has been streaming to other internet connected devices that do not have Sirius radios in them - iPhones and Sonos speakers to name just two. If they WANTED to do it, it would have been done. And, why no Apple Music?

In my model 3 I hardwired a XM receiver and mounted it next to the screen (played around with different positions and settled on this) Audio is through BT just like the phone but I dont have to worry about data cutting out etc.

The model S has the hardware (atleast my '15 85D does)