Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sketchy AF Phanyom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice to know why your car doesn't have any problem and others do. Is it something wrong with the hardware in our cars so that no number of firmware upgrades will fix it? I posted a video showing that the contrast of my forward camera changed significantly around the time of a phantom braking. I can only wonder if it's related.

I think this might be mostly a question of individual perception and sensitivities. Curious...have you ever done autocross or similar?

If not, maybe find an wide open dry stretch of road with zero traffic and do a full emergency stop from 30-40mph, pedal pushed all the way to the floor. And then compare the events.

I use FSD every day and it works great over all. It does phantom break once and a while but I can usually tell when it's going to do it and I take over so it's not a big deal for me. The first time it happened though and I wasn't ready for it was pretty damn scary though and thankfully no one was behind me or else it prob woulda caused an accident.

Anyone know if/how TACC or AP deals with cars behind you in your lane? Would having a car close behind you limit autobraking (phantom or otherwise)? I know that doesn't mitigate the ""surprise" factor, but it would be good to know if it was taken into account.

I think this might be mostly a question of individual perception and sensitivities. Curious...have you ever done autocross or similar?

If not, maybe find an wide open dry stretch of road with zero traffic and do a full emergency stop from 30-40mph, pedal pushed all the way to the floor. And then compare the events.

You wouldn't like me if I told you about my car background. Most people that have to scrape up enough money to buy a Model 3 don't like people that have Lamborghini's.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Do you think I am a YouTuber that films myself all day long? I had just taken delivery and was on the freeway 10 mins after leaving Tesla when it happened. What makes you think I would have video of me driving and my head being thrown forward when I hadn't known about these phantom braking issues??

As far as I know you're fake. You could be Elon posting on here to silence the truth.

Conspiracy theory much... A YouTuber? do you even own a Tesla? I think not or you would know it takes video for you at all times.

You wouldn't like me if I told you about my car background. Most people that have to scrape up enough money to buy a Model 3 don't like people that have Lamborghini's.

Man, you’re just a drama machine huh. :)

Neck pain from phantom braking seems like a bit of an exaggeration.
Do you get neck pain when you’re a passenger, and someone brakes suddenly as well. ?

If so, I think your neck is the problem, not the phantom braking. :)

In any case, carry on with the drama, and certainly enjoy your many Lamborghini'’s.

I also hope your neck has now healed, since you’ve turned off the very very dangerous autopilot.

• Funny
Reactions: KG M3 and Joshan
It's not... someone actually posted data a while back complaining how SEVERE it was, and provided data, that once folks did the math it was like 0.2g of braking

Ditto. In fact I've never experienced actual "phantom" braking at all with over 15k miles on the car- like 90% of it on AP.... I'm talking the kind where there's NOTHING around you and NO possible reason for the braking.

I HAVE experienced what a human would consider "incorrect" braking- but it was always with an obvious reason nearby (a car it saw coming around a tight curve but not actually in my lane.... or a car ahead of me it thought was cutting me off but was just correcting back from being too far to the other side in an adjacent lane...that kinda stuff)- and even then it never got my anywhere close to an accident, just the occasional weird look from another driver.
You have AP on 90% of the time? I find that hard to believe...

All depends on where you live, I have it on that much. Only times I really turn it off are as follows:
  • stop light if first line
  • stop signs
  • turns in city
  • parking lots
  • streets with no lines
  • known problem areas (Airport, Malls, etc)
  • bad weather
Now if I lived in Downtown Chicago I am sure that might be different.

Why?

I drive roughly 80 miles a day to work and back. About 75 of those miles on interstates.

That's nearer 94% but I'm rounding down since I do occasionally go a mile or two out of the way to hit a grocery store or something, and occasionally take a back road someplace fairly nearby.

AP (well, EAP) is the reason I bought the car.

Whenever this happens to me I wonder if Tesla can go back and check their system for instances when individuals were on AP and it was breaking and they immediately hit the gas. Seems like it would give them all the data they need to go investigate where and why this happens to drivers.

Also not sure anything happens to bug reports but I usually try to squeeze in a line about what happened like “Bug Report: unexpected breaking”.

I’ve experienced phantom braking a few times, usually in response to shadows on the road going under a bridge, no other vehicles in front. No discernible pattern other than that.

Scared the poop out of my wife, she’s not keen on me using AP as a result.

I use FSD every day and it works great over all. It does phantom break once and a while but I can usually tell when it's going to do it and I take over so it's not a big deal for me. The first time it happened though and I wasn't ready for it was pretty damn scary though and thankfully no one was behind me or else it prob woulda caused an accident.
You haven’t encountered the right piece of road for it then. It makes driving my commute on AP at over 75mph next to impossible without several interventions.

Those are just the expected PB events. It’s the random AF ones that really make you wonder.

My use of AP at the moment has lessened because of the breaking it does when I lift my foot off as it tries to match road speed feels dangerous and I loved using it most of the drives before the latest christmas patches. Phantom breaking is an issue with large overhanging smart signs or walkways. Its quite a drop in speed when it does it and something hard to predict if it will happen so while luckily no-one was close behind me on these several events, it is not right its too rapid and someone will get a rear end eventually. Its weird how my previous eniro’s lane keeping assist never suffered phantom breaking. It happens too fast I dropped over 20-30 mph jolt forward and that makes for some closing speed. It makes me wonder if some collaboration between a few Tesla owners is needed to replicate this on the same sections of road. Then you would find out if the error is with everyone software version or people are getting varied sensor data screwing it up which means all cars are not created equal or need new sensors.