Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker censoring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed a change in Slacker and it playing censored versions of songs? Recently, I've been finding more and more songs playing the censored versions of all the songs. It seems that if they have a censored version they default to that, and it's just getting worse. I'm an adult, I don't need my songs censored. Doesn't slacker have some way to turn explicit content on or off? How would I go about turning that off for the account in the car?

If you get the Slacker login credentials for your account from Tesla, you can set that in the settings when you log into the Slacker website.

I just double checked, after logging in the website with the credentials Tesla gave me, there is a "Play Explicit Content" setting in the general settings. For me when I got my car in June 2015, it was set to ON but I've turned it OFF because of my kids.

Last edited:
I have had my car since February 2013, and there was no way then to turn on censoring. I used my premium slacker account in order to remove explicit lyrics. I too am an adult, but my kids are in the car with me a lot. I do not think that there is a way to select/deselect explicit lyrics for the free Tesla account. Perhaps now Tesla is defaulting it to remove the explicit lyrics. I contacted Tesla when I got my car and they had no way at that time to do it. Perhaps that has changed now. You will probably need to ask Tesla if the setting can me changed for you, or you might have to have your own account.

You don't need to get your own account. You just need to get Tesla to send you the password to your cars account and sign in to the website and change it yourself.

Or you can install the Slacker iPhone App (I assume they have an Android one too) and use that to change it. You can use it to change it in somewhat real-time in the car if needed.

I have had my car since February 2013, and there was no way then to turn on censoring. I used my premium slacker account in order to remove explicit lyrics. I too am an adult, but my kids are in the car with me a lot. I do not think that there is a way to select/deselect explicit lyrics for the free Tesla account. Perhaps now Tesla is defaulting it to remove the explicit lyrics. I contacted Tesla when I got my car and they had no way at that time to do it. Perhaps that has changed now. You will probably need to ask Tesla if the setting can me changed for you, or you might have to have your own account.

Is censoring perfect? If you ask it to play a song where they don't have a censored version will it play that song? To me it seems that they are replacing the songs slowly with censored lyrics. In fact, one of the Run the Jewels songs I listen to and that I had "liked" in the past all of a sudden playing censored.

Is censoring perfect? If you ask it to play a song where they don't have a censored version will it play that song? To me it seems that they are replacing the songs slowly with censored lyrics. In fact, one of the Run the Jewels songs I listen to and that I had "liked" in the past all of a sudden playing censored.

They are definitely making changes. Top of the World by The Cataracs is now playing Top of the World by someone else, even when the tag says its the Cataracs. It's a "favorite" and the seed for the station "Top of the World Radio", so I can't be imagining it when I say it was working before. I get the same problem with the Slacker app on my iPhone. Now I listen to it using Pandora or YouTube when I want to hear that specific song.

The funniest thing I saw when the car was new is that the voice control would censor requests. If I asked for Elton John's "The Bitch is Back" it would come up on the screen as "The B**** is Back" and return no results. I'd have to backspace over the stars and type in the letters, then it would pull up the song! I think that has been "fixed" in later firmware releases, but I haven't tried anything more explicit than "bitch" :smile:

Mine is definitely NOT censored. My daughter listens to Alternative Hits on Slacker and there are many f-bombs there...

I'm not saying all songs are censored, but a ton of them are starting to get censored. I had a Run the Jewels channel, and all the music was fine a little while ago, but now a ton of them are censored. It's like it's coming out of nowhere. There are definitely non-censored songs, but omg the difference... some of my favorite songs are unbearable now because it's just so much censoring and silence.