Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Not Playing Song Requested Through Voice Command

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago, I was able to voice activate any song through Slacker on demand and it would play that specific song. As of today, when I try to voice activate, it will just play songs in that genre or by that artist. I updated the firmware about a week ago. I'm on 17.10.42.

This issue was also discussed on the forums at Tesla.com; see below. Some people are speculating that this is due to the firmware update while others are saying it's because Slacker changed our access as basic account holders and only premium account holders will be able to voice activate or search and play specific songs on demand.

Slacker Not Playing Song Requested Through Voice Command | Tesla

Can anyone on the older firmware try it and let us know if it's working so we can rule out the possibility of it being the firmware?

Actually, I've been pretty impressed with Slacker. Hadn't used it before getting the car. I find that I've hardly used my Sirius radio. I may get a premium account since the playlist function looks like a winner.
I found the premium only allowed me to actually play an entire album but the playlists didn't work nor did any kind of synchronization with my Slacker account on other devices so I gave it up.

Seems to be hit or miss for me. I was using it today for about an hour drive. I think there is a pattern though. The songs I request frequently or already have a radio station for, don't necessarily play the specific song, but a related song. If it's a song I've never played on my Tesla the specific song gets played. I think maybe we are limited to how many times we can request any particular song. I can still play the specific songs from the touchscreen, though. Definitely a safety issue if I have to fumble around with the screen instead of just using my voice. Although if my AP worked better it wouldn't be such an issue.

I have Slacker premium. I used to be able to search for a specific album and it would play that album, but now it creates a "station" based on that album and plays that instead (which may or may not even be the same artist). Not sure when this behavior changed, but I am on the latest 17.9.3 firmware currently.

Some people are speculating that this is due to the firmware update while others are saying it's because Slacker changed our access as basic account holders and only premium account holders will be able to voice activate or search and play specific songs on demand.

You can eliminate that as being a possibility since I have it in writing from Slacker that they do *NOT* support premium features on Tesla when you use your own premium account prompting me to cancel my premium subscription which I'd only just subscribed to a few days earlier.

You can eliminate that as being a possibility since I have it in writing from Slacker that they do *NOT* support premium features on Tesla when you use your own premium account prompting me to cancel my premium subscription which I'd only just subscribed to a few days earlier.

Slacker premium account works beautifully in my Tesla. All of my playlists, albums, etc are available and play on demand and on request.

Unless they just changed that I don't believe you.

I can confirm that my playlists show up on Slacker in my Tesla, and as far as I know I couldn't even create playlists using my Tesla provided Slacker account. That functionality didn't show up until I opened a Slacker premium account. I can play any of the songs in the playlist, and it will play the playlist on random or shuffle and only play the songs in the playlist. This functionality still works unless something changed in the last couple of days.

I can also confirm that when I first upgraded to Slacker premium on February 3rd, 2017, it would allow me to play a specific album by searching for it using the search box. It doesn't seem to do that anymore, but rather plays a "station" named after the album I request.

Update: I just figured out why I couldn't play the album I tried to play. Slacker doesn't have the "on demand" rights to play the particular album (although it comes up in their search results with no issue). I just tried to add that album to a playlist on my computer, and got the error message saying they don't have the "on demand" rights to that album. I'll have to try another album next time I'm in the car and see if it works still. This may be the problem that other premium account holders are having when they try and play a specific song, as there is no indication in the Tesla app that there is a rights issue.

Last edited:
Also experiencing the same - a few weeks ago, maybe a month ago, on demand songs stopped playing 90% of the time. 50% of the time from there, if you hit "next track" it comes up. The other 50% it takes multiple skips, or never comes up at all.

Get Spotify already, Tesla. We are tired of this half-ass garbage. We know it works great when the SW is configured as such from how it worked before.

Spotify is coming in 2017 per Spotify, no add'l specificity on dates.