Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleeping in the car for 2 weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sleeping in the car lets me get to so many trail heads and skip the hotels. Pulling into a hotel 2am hardly is worth it if you are planning to be on the road by 5am.

Have done 30+ one time days with on and off single nights into woods. Many 2 week trips. All rural areas. Sleeping near superchargers is not something I often do. National Forest campgrounds and BLM land are my favorite. Can wander my way back to a supercharger easily. These are often much nicer than parking lots. Tesla's are really nice to sleep in. I use a Dreamcase, but to each their own on the sleeping pad.

2nd the heat shield. Complete blackout, but a bit of work to install on all the windows for just a few hours of shut-eye. I would leave them in on the top.

Washing. I use Dude Wipes and public showers pre covid-19. Now those trips are over till I can get to warmer which allows me a rinse.

So yes it can be done. Maybe a few compromises. Hey. I love the backcountry.

I see lots of reviews of 1 person sleeping in car but would like to go camping with wife and not sure if wide enough to be comfortable?

I have not slept in the 3 with another. My wife said no dice. I am 6'2". S we have no problem. Y looks promising.

Cross-country roadtrips with lots of camping at national/state parks– not's not always easy or convenient to find rooms/hotels, and it's quite comfortable if you get the Tesla setup right inside. Also $250/night adds up quickly if you're planning multi-month trips...
I don’t think a few hours on a long trip at a rest stop or something is strange.
That said, sleeping in your vehicle regularly instead of a hotel on a trip is somehow strange. Where do you shower or use the toilet? You mustn’t suggest this type of accommodation to your girlfriend! :eek:

I don’t think a few hours on a long trip at a rest stop or something is strange.
That said, sleeping in your vehicle regularly instead of a hotel on a trip is somehow strange. Where do you shower or use the toilet? You mustn’t suggest this type of accommodation to your girlfriend! :eek:
It makes sense when the trip is primarily camping at state parks.

Toilet: Anywhere, provided you have a shovel and wipes
Shower: Sometimes people are willing to not shower to enjoy the solitude of nature. Deodorant and wipes are useful.

Personally, I love schlepping it in the deep backcountry then going to a resort/nice hotel with a spa after. I say this as a person who has slept in their Model 3 and also loves bathing and comfy beds.

I've enjoyed the summer organic nights. The glass ceiling
on the Model 3/Y would make a great star-viewing window,
as you listen to the waves breaking on the cliffs below, and
the warm Monterey fog arrives to cocoon you for the night.

But at this point in my life? give me a comfy California King
sized bed with down comforters, a spacious marble shower,
and one of those fat fat terry cloth bathrobes any day :)

p.s. those really thick bathrobes are hard to find in regular commerce.

Last edited:
Ok, I've lowered the seats and climbed through the rear door of my Model 3 and attempted to stretch out into a sleeping position. Dang, my back wasn't made for this. I'm only 5'11, and even had a hard time squeezing myself into the rear door with the seat backs lowered. There just isn't enough headroom to do anything.
I had thought I could try to sleep in my Tesla for an upcoming ski trip. But with luggage, skis, ski boots, etc. I have NO idea how I would ever get myself into the car. Adding a sleeping bag and thermorest would be tough. Let's not mention that it would be impossible to change clothes and with snow on the ground changing outside would be a non-starter.
How do any you successfully do this unless you are 25 and in great physical shape?!?!?!?

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Ok, I've lowered the seats and climbed through the rear door of my Model 3 and attempted to stretch out into a sleeping position. Dang, my back wasn't made for this. I'm only 5'11, and even had a hard time squeezing myself into the rear door with the seat backs lowered. There just isn't enough headroom to do anything.
I had thought I could try to sleep in my Tesla for an upcoming ski trip. But with luggage, skis, ski boots, etc. I have NO idea how I would ever get myself into the car. Adding a sleeping bag and thermorest would be tough. Let's not mention that it would be impossible to change clothes and with snow on the ground changing outside would be a non-starter.
How do any you successfully do this unless you are 25 and in great physical shape?!?!?!?
Make a front seat profile called "Car camping" where the drivers seat pulls all the way forward and leans forward. Then, you can can get in rear driver side and be able to sit there on the "bed". Room to take your shoes off and swivel around.
Don't forget about putting luggage in the frunk.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Skis are on top? Boots and ski clothing in boot bag, you take into lodge with you, change, and head out. If you can't use lockers, due to covid, you bring it back to your car. And, if you're skiing, are you saying you're not in "great physical shape?!?" Is there a health club with day rates, near your ski resort? Since you're in LA, maybe you're driving up to Mammoth, and I know SnowCreek health club has day passes for $25.

...change clothes and with snow on the ground changing outside would be a non-starter.
5-9
55 years old (and sleeping in my car LOL)
Take your ski clothes into the lodge/base area, act like a teen ski racer, make yourself comfortable, and get changing into ski gear!

I have a Yeti soft cooler (Flip 18) for food, skis in a padded ski bag, two 45L gear bags (Salomon Extend GoTO Snow, Extend Max). All of this is inside the car with me overnight. One big variable is distance between parking and somewhere indoors to change clothes. At some ski areas yes, this could be tough. Can't wait for the Cybertruck!

My local ski resort has a lot of kid racing programs, so kids and parents kind of take over some of the lodge space for gearing up and eating. I'm just one more in that scene.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and smatthew

To each his own, but sleeping in your car sounds like a rock-solid girlfriend/wife repellant strategy.
Similar to ice fishing!
1644291660113.png

Toilet: Anywhere, provided you have a shovel and wipes
Shower: Sometimes people are willing to not shower to enjoy the solitude of nature. Deodorant and wipes are useful.

Thank you for providing an illustration to my point above!

it was either the house or the Tesla

I'm sorry to be blunt, but you made the wrong choice!

a