Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow initial data connection when getting into the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently noticed that the LTE connection to my car has been sluggish when first getting in. Usually my car will show me the best route to home/work taking traffic into consideration. Now I'll get in and it will show me the best possible route without taking traffic info as there's no data connection yet. I sit and wait ~2 minutes then it completely reroutes because the car finally made a connection.

Some days, I get in the car and I use the right side button and tell the car to navigate to a certain location. I get a message saying there's no connection in the car. Same thing if I try to use the touch screen and punch in a location, no results because of no connection. Wait a couple minutes and all seems to work fine again.

These things used to work the moment I got into the car. I have a 2019 Model 3 running on version 2023.2.10 and I've already tried resetting the car multiple times (2 button + brake pedal).

Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else lately?

Your car is likely connecting to a distant cell with poor reception. Perhaps the closer ones are often at capacity at the time you go to your car. After a bit, when space is available, the car may be switched to a closer cell site.

I don’t think this issue is limited to LTE. My car is on WiFi and I’ve noticed that the data connection is delayed when I first get in the car and can take as long as 10-20 seconds to start operating.

Other times it seems to work as you would expect.

One way I’ve noticed it’s happening is that MyQ will show ”error” mode and loss of connection and be unable to operate garage doors and then after some period of time it will finally get connected and work as expected.

Reactions: evannole
You might have a hardware issue with your LTE antenna. Make a service appointment.
Got it. Wanted to see if other people had the same issue recently perhaps due to a software update. Let's see what service center says.
Do you still get instant connection when getting into your car?

I don’t think this issue is limited to LTE. My car is on WiFi and I’ve noticed that the data connection is delayed when I first get in the car and can take as long as 10-20 seconds to start operating.

Other times it seems to work as you would expect.

One way I’ve noticed it’s happening is that MyQ will show ”error” mode and loss of connection and be unable to operate garage doors and then after some period of time it will finally get connected and work as expected.
That's odd, I would have expected a successful WiFi connection to get rid of any delays. When you say 'other times' do you mean when you're out and no where near your WiFi?

I notice this when I first take the car out of the garage. After that it connects instantly when I get in again. I'm not going to park outside though... ;)
So you get a slow connection at the start of your day but when you're out it seems to connect fast enough? Does your car reach your WiFi while in the garage?

Your car is likely connecting to a distant cell with poor reception. Perhaps the closer ones are often at capacity at the time you go to your car. After a bit, when space is available, the car may be switched to a closer cell site.
I suppose in the end this could be what's happening. But for it to consistently happen for the past few weeks...just wanted to be sure and check with others.

Got it. Wanted to see if other people had the same issue recently perhaps due to a software update. Let's see what service center says.
Do you still get instant connection when getting into your car?
Yes, my car usually connects quickly. There might be a single receiver for LTE and WiFi (not sure though), so if you have a hardware issue it could impact both.

I'd cast another vote for wifi. This same thing happened to me and what it came down to is that my router was losing power and the car's connection to it became to weak to function properly. What I believe happens is that if it detects wifi it will attempt to keep trying to connect to that, even if it is weak and not working. You'd think that when that happens it would automatically switch over to LTE but that's not happens. I bought a wifi extender and that was the end of my problems in this regard. (At least for now).

I'd cast another vote for wifi. This same thing happened to me and what it came down to is that my router was losing power and the car's connection to it became to weak to function properly. What I believe happens is that if it detects wifi it will attempt to keep trying to connect to that, even if it is weak and not working. You'd think that when that happens it would automatically switch over to LTE but that's not happens. I bought a wifi extender and that was the end of my problems in this regard. (At least for now).
if you have a Samsung galaxy phone, then you can use a bixby routine to turn wifi off, connect to tesla and then turn wifi back on.

That's odd, I would have expected a successful WiFi connection to get rid of any delays. When you say 'other times' do you mean when you're out and no where near your WiFi?
What I mean to say is that the behavior is not consistent. I have enterprise grade WiFi in my house (Unifi mesh with one AP right in the garage itself). Sometimes I get in the car and the car is connected, Spotify is working, MyQ is ready to go. Other times I get in the car and neither of these services are initially working even though the WiFi is up.

I suspect this could be a delay related to the car waking out of a deep sleep since I don't keep it awake at home and don't plug it in every day to charge it.

"Does your car reach your WiFi while in the garage?"

Since the release of V11, my car does not get to be on wifi any more. ;-) I do have to deal with the wifi nag screen, but at least I know my car will operate the way I expect every day...

But yes, after taking the car out of the garage, it won't accept voice commands'til I'm down the street a ways. After that while running errands, it responds immediately when I get in again.

Since the upgrade to 2022.45.15 last week, LTE connectivity has gone flaky. Even if I parked the car in a strong (5 bar) environment, I get zero bars when I return to the car. An MCU reset or power off/on cycle will restore 5 bars after a few minutes, but back to zero when I start the car again. Very repeatable; I’ve got a mobile service appointment in a couple weeks. As well, I lose Sirius XM often at the same time, but it usually comes back within 10 seconds. But LTE stays out until the reboot.

Since the upgrade to 2022.45.15 last week, LTE connectivity has gone flaky. Even if I parked the car in a strong (5 bar) environment, I get zero bars when I return to the car. An MCU reset or power off/on cycle will restore 5 bars after a few minutes, but back to zero when I start the car again. Very repeatable; I’ve got a mobile service appointment in a couple weeks. As well, I lose Sirius XM often at the same time, but it usually comes back within 10 seconds. But LTE stays out until the reboot.
Same, what happened?