Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Supercharger charge speed, potential issue for long distance travellers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, the good news, Tesla cars are all over the place now, cutting down carbon footprints and saving the planet one car at a time. The bad news, as more and more cars hit the road, the limited supercharger spaces are getting stretched and charge speed can vary from one location to the next.
Back in 2019, every time I went supercharging, the starting supercharging speed (power draw) was always over 100kw if I had less than 30% of battery capacity, of course assuming the supercharging site is capable of 120kw or 150kw at the time. Fast forward to 2021, I supercharged 5 times the past two weeks, 3 times in North Brunswick route 1, once in edison nj and once in East Brunswick nj. (Btw, I live in NJ, so it may or may not apply to your locations). North Brunswick never got above 60kw in three occasions even though I had less than 30% battery left, it took 80 minutes to charge 120 miles. I was getting around 26kw consistently each visit. Edison was worst, I was getting 22kw with 20% battery life left, although there are 6 cars out of 8 spots there. I couldn't take it so I drove 20 minutes to East Brunswick and boom, 130kw power draw and I charged from 20% to 90% in 40 minutes which is what I was experiencing in the past.
I know there are variables such as battery remaining, ambient temperature, battery temperature, how many cars are sharing, etc, but one time I charged in North Brunswick NJ, there were 3 cars including mine out of 8 spots and it was 50 degrees, still got 26kw power drawn.
Bottom line, have an expectation that the fast in and out charging that people spoke of may not happen everytime, try to give yourself more time when planning a visit to a supercharging, as well as additional time to be spent when doing a road trip. Not saying it'll happen to everyone, but it's much more likely to happen today than it was even just 1 year ago.

The only time I’ve seen slow charging at a supercharger under 80% SOC is when my battery is cold. Just last month got over 130kW no problem.
3B3D4C44-67DB-49E5-9085-07421A88D2B5.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: COS Blue
You do know about power spitting on same numbered stalls with V2 superchargers don't you? Also even in moderate temperatures it is necessary to navigate to the supercharger to preheat the battery for maximum rates. It's been my experience that maintenance of anything in NJ is not a high priority so there may be some defective stalls

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
You do know about power spitting on same numbered stalls with V2 superchargers don't you? Also even in moderate temperatures it is necessary to navigate to the supercharger to preheat the battery for maximum rates. It's been my experience that maintenance of anything in NJ is not a high priority so there may be some defective stalls
You're right on the split power, hence I tried multiple times and twice not sharing any power with other cars. You're also right that maintenance may be an issue with more usage. BUT, I've supercharged dozens of times prior to pandemic (march2020), zero issues, even when sharing or splitting power with another car. I'd be getting 60kw consistently, NOT 26kw. You're also right that preconditioning the battery prior to supercharging is important, which I do every time. The slow supercharging speed I mentioned in Edison NJ, I drove 30 minutes prior to arrival with 20% battery capacity, I got 22kw.
Again, never had an issue prior to the pandemic, but 4 times out of 5 this year I got slow charging...

The slow supercharging speed I mentioned in Edison NJ, I drove 30 minutes prior to arrival with 20% battery capacity, I got 22kw.

Before you charge, do you have a full left bar for regenerative breaking? I've noticed if there are any "dots" on the left bar for regenerative breaking, you're almost certainly not going to be able to access full supercharging speeds - regardless of your battery capacity.

Conversely, you can tell if battery pre-conditioning was able to complete - over time you'll notice that the number of "dots" on the left gradually diminishes. If you don't give enough time for pre-conditioning to complete, the software will simply block you from accessing full supercharging.

Before you charge, do you have a full left bar for regenerative breaking? I've noticed if there are any "dots" on the left bar for regenerative breaking, you're almost certainly not going to be able to access full supercharging speeds - regardless of your battery capacity.

Conversely, you can tell if battery pre-conditioning was able to complete - over time you'll notice that the number of "dots" on the left gradually diminishes. If you don't give enough time for pre-conditioning to complete, the software will simply block you from accessing full supercharging.

When I arrive with dots, they will normally fade in the first 5 minutes of supercharging. Sure preconditioning is better and saves time, but it should totally just pull raw juice from the SC and heat that battery either way.

Yes, the car will use supercharger power to heat the battery. It's just that it takes a lot of time. Regen does disappear when the battery reaches ~21C (70F). At that temperature, charging will still be very slow. The battery needs to be around 40C (104F) to get good speed. preconditioning will help arrive at the SC closer to that target. It can take 30-60 minutes to raise the battery by that much. IF you wait until you're charging, inside 30-60 minutes you'll be gone and never reach the full speed.

• Helpful
Reactions: COS Blue
You're right on the split power, hence I tried multiple times and twice not sharing any power with other cars. You're also right that maintenance may be an issue with more usage. BUT, I've supercharged dozens of times prior to pandemic (march2020), zero issues, even when sharing or splitting power with another car. I'd be getting 60kw consistently, NOT 26kw. You're also right that preconditioning the battery prior to supercharging is important, which I do every time. The slow supercharging speed I mentioned in Edison NJ, I drove 30 minutes prior to arrival with 20% battery capacity, I got 22kw.
Again, never had an issue prior to the pandemic, but 4 times out of 5 this year I got slow charging...
For preconditioning you have to have the supercharger as the Tesla navigation destination. Just driving is not enough. The Tesla charge ports have temperature sensors in the power pins and automatically reduce charge if they are dirty or corroded and there's a poor connection. I'm sure superchargers need occasional maintenance.

I don't pay much attention to regen bar, but I could easily do one pedal driving in streets/highway driving while on my way to the supercharger stations.
On Sunday, I drove 25 minutes on my way to a supercharger with destination set and battery conditioned, got 22kw power with under 20% battery life. I said screw it, drove another 15 minutes to another supercharger, boom, 140kw, got 190 miles of range in 50 minutes.

Got a 2019 model 3 Performance... Been a while supercharging because the last year I've been charging from home. Last night I forgot and noticed this morning.. So off to the V3 SC (Leusden / Netherlands 🇳🇱) Battery pre heated for 10 minutes... But the charge speed doesn't go beyond 86 kW. All other stalls are empty. I thought the car did do 195+ before...

20210326_070832.jpg
20210326_070838.jpg
20210326_070845.jpg

V3 superchargers are "mostly" not shared but anyway, that's not your issue since there was no one else. At ~45% SOC I don't think you can reach 195kW. Although Tesla doesn't publish the charging curve, a quick look in the internet says you might have gotten 140-150kW at best. My take is that your battery was too cold. 10 minutes of preconditioning is very little. If you're lucky your battery will have gotten 5 degrees celcius warmer. You need something like 40C to get full power. If you started from 10C or even 20C, your battery most probably wasn'T warm enough. You should consider yourself lucky you got 86kW :)

• Informative
True, but 50F ambient temperature, Supercharge station set as destination, 15 minutes drive to supercharging station. 30% battery life. 26kw power draw, 3 cars out of 8 possible stalls, no other cars sharing with me, took 80 minutes to charge 120 miles.

Did you try a different stall? When I have low charge rates when the battery isn’t cold, changing stalls almost always solves it.

SR+ should be able to charge at around 170 kW below 15%-20%, tapering down mostly linearly from there.

Finally, as many V2 sites are getting long in the tooth, opting to charge at V3 sites (labeled as 250 kW on the nav) will probably produce better, more consistent results.