Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small front display for Model 3/Y - Fits inside AC slot (pics, vid and info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LBM4

Tesla Fealty
Aug 20, 2021
California
I received some interest regarding this display I bought from AliExpress a few weeks back, so here's more info. These come in both KPH and MPH, so be sure to click on the right one. I currently have the KPH. They are sending me the MPH version now, as I live in the U.S.

Normally, the speed is in it's normal color, but go over 75mph, and the display color turns red. I noticed that today when driving.

Price: between $50-$60 (on Amazon it's over $100)
Size: Small - displays speed, blinkers, doors, gear and lights (fits in the AC opening inside the dash)
Pros: Easy to install, uses OBD2 data port for info, not complicated and no software to update or get messed with by Tesla. Easy to see, even in direct sunlight. DOES NOT move around. Easy to uninstall.
Cons: Minimalistic display, can not change any of the data.

Video link here

Buy here: AliExpress link

Pics:
Screenshot_20220801-174326.png
Screenshot_20220804-142311.png
Screenshot_20220801-175639.png

Thanks for this! How was the installation process, and does the wiring hide well?
You can't see my wiring at all, unless you push the driver's seat all the way forward and up, then you will see a small bit of black wire coming out from where the wire attaches to the OBD2 Port plastic flap cover at the base of the center console.
Keep the seat in it's normal driving position, and you can't see anything.
Install took me around 5-10 min. Very simple with no directions included. I watched the AliExpress video they have on how they installed it. Followed that.

This looks interesting, if accurate.

I won't have my M3 for many months but does this filling some void in information for the driver?
No, this doesn't fill any void, nor does it provide any additional information. It simply puts your speed and iconography in your line of sight while driving. Most people are used to having their speed in front of them, so when you get into the Tesla Model 3/Y, you have to learn to look off to the right a bit to see your speed.
This simply prevents the need for that. And I think it looks kinda cool. That's all.
And congrats on your purchase!

No, this doesn't fill any void, nor does it provide any additional information. It simply puts your speed and iconography in your line of sight while driving. Most people are used to having their speed in front of them, so when you get into the Tesla Model 3/Y, you have to learn to look off to the right a bit to see your speed.
This simply prevents the need for that. And I think it looks kinda cool. That's all.
Thanks for the explanation

Reactions: LBM4
Does it block any of the front vent airflow?