Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small nail near tire wall, tiny bubbles. What can be done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, so got a 1cm screw on the tire right by the wall, pulled it out, went to tire shop, they put the soap liquid (thick) and no bubbles. Said nothing to fix. Went home, used water and soap… and i see these tiny tiny bubbles coming out slowly.

will check psi tomorrow,
should i be concerned? Or is this ok.
Thanks guys
7DF307EF-955D-4F1C-B34A-58650F703E55.jpeg
3A8EAE05-9963-4AED-AE82-91444E546766.jpeg

Your options are:

1) buy a plug kit and fix it yourself.

2) find a “llantera” in the part of town you don’t normally go to and ask them to patch it.

3) buy a new tire.

No big tire shop will touch it and insist you buy a new tire.

I know there are folks who think plugs are fine. Plugs are a temporary fix. A puncture in that area cannot be repaired.

My opinion which is supported by every tire retailer is that the only proper, permanent repair of a tire is a patch and plug system. The tire needs dismounted which also allows for inspection of the inside of the tire. If the puncture is in outermost edge of either side of the tire it should be replaced.

It's not worth the safety gamble to use a plug kit as a permanent fix.

Reactions: vet757
I know there are folks who think plugs are fine. Plugs are a temporary fix. A puncture in that area cannot be repaired.

My opinion which is supported by every tire retailer is that the only proper, permanent repair of a tire is a patch and plug system. The tire needs dismounted which also allows for inspection of the inside of the tire. If the puncture is in outermost edge of either side of the tire it should be replaced.

It's not worth the safety gamble to use a plug kit as a permanent fix.
Tire shops have much different risk tolerances and motives than the individual. Particularly the big chains with deep corporate pockets. They aren’t interested in taking on liability, even if the odds of something going sideways are one in a billion. Best to just say “no” and log another tire sale instead.

The idea that it’s some sort of “safety gamble” to patch that tire after that teeny tiny penetration is ridiculous.

That tire cannot be fixed. Search Google, a repair needs to be 1.5" or further from the side wall. However, if I was still young, dumb and .... I would still use it because I'd still be poor. But I would not trust it on the highway and would not let my wife drive on it.

guys (and girls if any), thanks for all the input, i was going to plug and wing it, but due to a long drive in rainy weather, i replaced the tire for peace of mind.

This is the bad boy.
Things done:
- Cquartz uk ceramic
- wheel covers (kavanic)
- mudflaps (basenor)
- rear door ppf
- interior: carban fibar dash trim, matt black center console wrap.

eventually will tint, keep thinking about spoiler or not… not sure if i want to deal with it if/when adhesive is failing. 🤣
16BDCC9F-FDE0-415C-89E3-86DAED565F2D.jpeg

39330665-EA84-4E48-957C-3A86F21B6F91.jpeg

I remember when you could install an inner tube inside a tubeless bias-ply tire that had been punctured and be good to go for under $20.
TW_Evolution_Tire_Blog_Image_1024x1024.jpg

1680143131571.png

Nice looking car! I really like the black/white look.

The big tire shops will not do it because it's a risk. That means it's happened enough times that the industry has adopted a practice of not using a plug. I think it's more likely than one in a billion.

I'm only auguring this point because someone could come along and just plug the tire not knowing the risks. It's an excellent temporary fix but it's only temporary. EV are heavy vehicles and there are a lot of stresses on those tires. If you choose to plug it that's your decision but know the risks is all I'm trying to convey. I know personally it's worth the piece of mind to have the proper repair or replacement done.

The best part? A proper repair with a patch/plug combo (if tire is repairable) will allow you to keep the warranty on most tires!