Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly AC not covered under Warranty on new cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went back to look at the receipt from 08/08/2019. Orlando did it under Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. I wonder why some SCs acknowledge it as an issue covered by warranty and some don't....?
The same Orlando SC quoted me $136 before tax to fix the issue. I do not know how you got them to do it for free.
However, I did notice/read/and even confirmed from other people that visit the Orlando SC that different people seem to get different treatment. Go figure...

An update. I learned this is a widespread.problem and they will all be covered after further updates.
Can you elaborate?

I think it is a well known issue even by Tesla that it is a widespread problem. However, they do not want to spend money/resources to fix it (Tesla is still bleeding money). Have you heard otherwise?

I just cleaned the evaporator coil myself using Kool-it last weekend. My filters were pretty dirty, but I did not have replacement on hand, so I cleaned them very well with a toothbrush until I get new ones from Tesla SC. I then used an order eliminator to clean the residual smell in the AC lines and the car smells fresh as morning meadow in spring! Let's see how long this will last.

I just had a mobile service appointment for other work (badge install, new door weatherstrip install) yesterday; I had requested a cleaning of the evap core but the tech told me he'd have to charge for it as it wasn't covered. I didn't ask how much, just told him not to worry about it and that I'd take care of it. He even told me "just buy the same stuff we use from Amazon, it's made by Kool-It." He offered to sell me new filters but I'll check those out when I open it up.

Heard that Tesla is attempting to mitigate this with a software update that will leave the fans on longer after a/c use.

This is a common problem with modern A?C systems. Most all the automotive aftermarket stores carry the chemicals to treat this.

It is also compounded by the cabin air filters that many of the higher end cars come with.

Tesla is remarkable in that they sell their high quality filters at pretty low prices. Lower than most of the inferior aftermarket filters.

Sometimes, just spraying a little Lysol will do the trick.

An update. I learned this is a widespread.problem and they will all be covered after further updates.

I just paid $124 for this. I asked the Tesla rep at the service center and he said yup, it’s just part of the maintenance with the car, and basically be prepared to change the air filters at least once a year. I have a 5 year old ICE and haven’t done it once.

I just paid $124 for this. I asked the Tesla rep at the service center and he said yup, it’s just part of the maintenance with the car, and basically be prepared to change the air filters at least once a year. I have a 5 year old ICE and haven’t done it once.

My air filter in my ICE cars (Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MXZ Hybrid) was changed yearly. Given the large M3 air filters, $70 is reasonable. The evaporator service however is not and should be free since this was the result of a software related issue.

Can you elaborate?

I think it is a well known issue even by Tesla that it is a widespread problem. However, they do not want to spend money/resources to fix it (Tesla is still bleeding money). Have you heard otherwise?

I just cleaned the evaporator coil myself using Kool-it last weekend. My filters were pretty dirty, but I did not have replacement on hand, so I cleaned them very well with a toothbrush until I get new ones from Tesla SC. I then used an order eliminator to clean the residual smell in the AC lines and the car smells fresh as morning meadow in spring! Let's see how long this will last.

Great DIY!!
Can you post pics or please elaborate on how to diy. I'm pretty handy, and if it works I will certainly do it better than the service tech!!

Great DIY!!
Can you post pics or please elaborate on how to diy. I'm pretty handy, and if it works I will certainly do it better than the service tech!!

I honestly followed this video on how to clean the evaporator coil:

Some tips:
- Kool-it is what Tesla uses to clean the Evaporator coil. You can buy one from O'Reilly for $11.99 instead of Amazon overly priced same product. It has this fresh toothpaste scent

- You might want to use two cans instead of one -despite how big it might see, it does not hold much. One was enough for me though.

- I live in FL, and I am doing this after one full year ownership of the car. I did not expect my filters to be that dirty but there were dead bugs, leafs, and dirt in them. I recommend you get extra filters just in case yours needed replacing. I just used an old toothbrush and cleaned every line in each filter from all the dirt, and sprayed some house cleaner in them (do not soak them wet).

- Some people recommend turning the heater on for 30 mins while windows are open to kill any bacteria. I did not do that.

- Finally I used Meguiar's odor eliminator from Amazon ($5.99): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G49DVGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a known side-effect for all of us living outside of desert areas -
a

same problem in PHX. Except the tech told me it would be free to fix under warranty UPTO 12 months? so i thought I'd wait. Too late now I guess or does it depend on SC?

Will Tesla install aftermarket filters? I'd rather do a HEPA/ Model S "Biohazard" type filter if possible.

Manual says change filter every 2 years. This is ridiculous and unacceptable that a filter change cost more than an oil and filter change on an ICE

Just a heads up. When I took it to the service center they know it's a widely known issue. They are actually still working on a software fix (the one earlier this year did not fix the problem). They supposedly are going to make it right after they have the proper fix out from what I was told.

So all the people claiming that it's common on other cars..... no

Reactions: ElectricGhost
This is ridiculous. I brought mine in (SC Orlando) because of the AC smell. They cleaned it for free and listed it as a one-time good will act. The smell comes from a moisture buildup after the AC use. This was fixed with a software update. Now, after running the AC, once you park the car the fan will stay on for a bit and dry out the AC unit.

I'm running V10 and I can tell you the "patch" did not solve the issue, at least not on my car. After I (now) park the car, I run the ventilation (AC off) fan for at least 5 minutes and shut it off manually with my phone app.

If you are in a desert area, turning off Cabin Overheat Protection will get rid of the smell. There are 4 of us in the office all got Model 3. I was the only one getting the smell. Found out I was the only left cabin overhead protection on. Turned it off and the smell went away.

Had this same issue with my previous Jeep. They gave me the option of changing the filters, using a cleaning kit to spray away the mildew or do both. There was a significant charge for each option.

Was an ongoing issue. I ended up just removing the cabin filters and spraying a cleaning solution into the intake.

If you are in a desert area, turning off Cabin Overheat Protection will get rid of the smell. There are 4 of us in the office all got Model 3. I was the only one getting the smell. Found out I was the only left cabin overhead protection on. Turned it off and the smell went away.

will try in the winter. But in the summer my car got upto 150 deg. in the sun w/o Cabin Overheat Protection. I wonder if no AC Cabin Overheat Protection option is a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21EV