Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This. The only thing that fixed mine was when the evaporator coils were cleaned with the spray. I'm pretty certain that mildew builds up on the coils and the smell returns pretty quickly. That's why it's so mind-blowing to me that Tesla now refuses to clean the coils when replacing the filters.
It's possible some SCs don't do it for various reasons (maybe they don't want to stock the spray, maybe because cabin filter change fixes it enough of the time, they don't want to wait the extra time for spay to work, etc), but it's still in the service manual:
Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla

It's possible some SCs don't do it for various reasons (maybe they don't want to stock the spray, maybe because cabin filter change fixes it enough of the time, they don't want to wait the extra time for spay to work, etc), but it's still in the service manual:
Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla
FWIW, at one point the SC had trouble getting Kool-it and were trying different things. I switched to KLIMA and it works well.

So installed that 3d printed air filter clip about a month ago Tesla Model 3/Y Cabin Air Filter Clip.
Threw out the bottom filter, installed the clip on the top filter and put it on the bottom and reused the old top filter I removed last fall.
Didn't bother using the coil cleaner spray this time.

Before I had been replacing the filters twice a year in the spring and fall, but so far no sign of any smells.

Reactions: Country Roads
What fixed it for me, a '21 M3, was cleaning with the coil cleaner with the 3D printed adapter, installing the 3D printed filter clip, and using the filters with the biocide (microban) in them.

Also installed a windshield air intake detector for the air intake to keep the needles etc out.

I don't have the cabin overheat feature turned on but do regularly use the AC. About 6 months from doing all of this initially.

Located in coastal Cali.