Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SMETS1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Just been doing some searching for EV tariff providers, obviously been in touch with Octopus already

As the title of the post suggests, I’ve only got the 1st gen smart meter and as such, seem to be getting mugged off everywhere for a decent energy tariff

I’ve banged my details into British Gas, EDF, Scottish Power, OVO and none of them seem to be able to offer me the tariffs that they advertise for EV.

Bit rubbish this mind!

Octopus said they’ll put me on a “tracker” tariff in the meantime whilst they clear backlog of meter installs but they haven’t really said what this tariff entails.

Any advice on the above?

Hi all

Just been doing some searching for EV tariff providers, obviously been in touch with Octopus already

As the title of the post suggests, I’ve only got the 1st gen smart meter and as such, seem to be getting mugged off everywhere for a decent energy tariff

I’ve banged my details into British Gas, EDF, Scottish Power, OVO and none of them seem to be able to offer me the tariffs that they advertise for EV.

Bit rubbish this mind!

Octopus said they’ll put me on a “tracker” tariff in the meantime whilst they clear backlog of meter installs but they haven’t really said what this tariff entails.

Any advice on the above?

It basically their product that tracks the wholesale market prices which I understand is priced each day rather than Agile for example with is a 30 minute pricing window.

Hi all

Bit rubbish this mind!

Any advice on the above?
I think the Tracker tariff seems to be the best option until you can get your SMETS2 meters installed.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I was offered a Smets1 meter some years ago but refused until they could fit a Smets2.
They kept telling me that a Smets1 could be upgraded but I held out and am pleased I did so as Octopus cannot read my 89 year old mothers Smets1 meter even though it is in a list of meters that are compatible with being upgraded. (Elster AS300P)
SMETS1 smart meters expected to have “full functionality” from May | SMS

She is now short listed for an upgrade but how stupid can it be to junk perfectly good equipment just a few years after being installed. Crazy.

Hi all

Bit rubbish this mind!

Any advice on the above?
Hi all

Bit rubbish this mind!

Any advice on the above?
does your SMETS1 have the Secure logo? If it does, it will work with Go. I have a Secure. SMETS1 and I’m on Go. It works fine.
02F89DAE-98FA-4139-9BB0-83F4AFEFB09F.jpeg

This clip from UK Electricity and Gas Smart Metering seems to say that the meters listed below should all be up and running as a Smets2 meter but in my mothers case not.
Octopus are adamant that her Elster AS300P cannot be upgraded despite what the list below says.
What a stupid waste of money and despite what the government said, they do not save money unless you move to a cheap rate which uses hourly billing.

Existing SMETS1 meters in the table below will be migrated to the new DCC SMETS2 system through the enrolment and adoption process. If you are wondering if you have one of these SMETS1 meters, look up your meter model number in the table below.

SMETS 1 Meters for adoption by DCC
Manufacturer Model ESME / GSME Type
Aclara SGM1311 ESME
Aclara SGM1312 ESME
EDMI MK7B ESME
Elster AS300P ESME
Elster BK-G4E GSME Diaphragm
Floridan G4SZV GSME Diaphragm
Itron EM425-UK ESME
Itron RF1 sV ZB GSME Diaphragm
L+G (Landis & Gyr) E470-5299A ESME
L+G (Landis & Gyr) E6VG370 GSME Ultrasonic
Secure Meters (UK) Limited EG4v10 GSME Diaphragm
Secure Meters (UK) Limited EG4v15 GSME Diaphragm
Secure Meters (UK) Limited Liberty 100 E1S0B1 ESME

When will SMETS1 meters be connected to DCC?
The original milestones have been delayed and are subject to a DCC consultation which closed on 20 November 2019. The proposed dates are shown below.
SMETS1 meters will be migrated to DCC in five batches over three capability phases. Once the capability is made ready on the dates below, the migration will happen within the following months.

• Initial Operating Capability (IOC) – meters operated by CGI Instant Energy (IE)
    • 24 Nov 2019 - Elster Honeywell and Itron meters
    • 23 Feb 2020 - Aclara meters
  • Middle Operating Capability (MOC)
    • 15 Mar 2020 - Elster Honeywell meters currently operated by MDS (Morrison Data Services)
    • 28 Jun 2020 - Secure meters operated by the Secure Meters group
  • Final Operating Capability (FOC)
    • 26 Jul 2020 - Landis + Gyr (L+G) meters currently operated by either BG SMSO (Smart Meter System Operator), DXC or CGI Instant Energy (IE) and, if directed by Government, the EDMI meter group.

Last edited:
Hi all

Bit rubbish this mind!

Any advice on the above?

A lot of those 'EV' tariffs are rubbish and will actually cost you more. Do a little research before you commit.
My spreadsheet may be a little of out date (not by much) but will allow you to easily spot the expensive tariffs and by playing around with your expected consumption you should be able to identify a tariff that fits with your needs.
Clearly your meter may not be smart enough to get the very best tariff but then there are standard tariffs out there that easily beat some of the smart 'EV' tariffs while you wait for your meter upgrade.

A lot of those 'EV' tariffs are rubbish and will actually cost you more. Do a little research before you commit.
My spreadsheet may be a little of out date (not by much) but will allow you to easily spot the expensive tariffs and by playing around with your expected consumption you should be able to identify a tariff that fits with your needs.
Clearly your meter may not be smart enough to get the very best tariff but then there are standard tariffs out there that easily beat some of the smart 'EV' tariffs while you wait for your meter upgrade.
I agree. Before moving to Octopus, I did some number crunching. Over the course of a year, there was only a £20 saving over the Eon tariff I was offered. That had no cheap rate but the standing charge was much lower.
The spring & summer quarters are dearer with Octopus, but autumn & winter are cheaper.
As a clue, my April-July bill was just £30. £21 of that was standing charge

Apologies for what is likely a naive question, but can someone get a tariff that is repriced daily without a smart meter that is readable by the supplier? Just trying to understand how that would work.
You have to submit a monthly meter reading, so I assume they average out your consumption over the month and charge the changing rate pro rata.