Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snagged a P90D Inventory car for $700/mnth on the new 24 month lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add me to the list of people trying to figure it out. I am debating going the CPO route or going with a *base* M3. I have a test drive scheduled for next week and explicitly told them I didn't want to see a P3D in a 20-mile radius to make sure I don't take it for a spin.

I extended my lease even though it made no financial sense as I will have to pay a full year of CA DMV fees...but hey, one/I can't be 100% rational when it comes to cars.

On a related note, I would love to hear about end-of-lease inspections when financed with Tesla as well...curb rash anyone?

@frebay: my gut (and it's just that...) is that what we're seeing re. inv cars is as good as it's going to get, +/- a couple of $100s off MSRP.

It may be somewhat OT, but I'm adding this since I know some folks on this thread are considering an M3P to replace our leased P90DL's...

So last week I test drove a M3P so I could compare it to the P90DL that I leased 2 years ago thanks to this wonderful thread. I really wanted to compare the two cars to help me decide between potentially buying the P90DL at end-of-lease residual - which I agree is a overpriced - or instead buying a new M3P. Thankfully I managed to get a test drive within hours of it arriving at the showroom.

M3P ride vs. P90DL: I felt that M3P tight suspension rode pretty roughly compared to the 2016 P90DL's air suspension. Understandably It also drove much firmer than the rear wheel drive M3 with 18" wheels. My middle-aged butt preferred the ride of the P90DL's air suspension and the M3 with 18" wheels.

M3P acceleration vs. P90DL: I was surprised that I noticed the difference between the M3P 3.5ish second 0-60mph and the P90DL 2.7ish 0-60mph. From a standstill, the P90DL has noticeable jolt when floored - it did seem quicker. The M3P didn't have that jolt off-the-line. The M3P did eventually provide the "rollercoaster tummy" feeling (just barely), but not as extreme as the P90DL. Once the car was already moving - such as when passing someone - the difference in acceleration wasn't noticeable to me. I know this type of 3.5 second and 2.7 second comparison is pretty silly in terms of need, but I did indeed notice a difference for what it's worth.

M3P cornering vs. P90DL: unfortunately, I didn't have much of an opportunity to test the lighter and more nimble M3P's cornering abilities. I know that that could be where the M3P could shine for folks who want a smaller car. Based on the test drive route, the cars felt similar, though I couldn't try turns at much faster than 35 mph.

While I liked the M3P, after the test drive I actually now find myself leaning towards the P90DL - I like the larger size and the acceleration. But the P90DL has less range, and the M3P is a new car. Decisions decisions...*sigh*. I know having this choice is a very good problem to have, but I admit I've lost quite a bit of sleep thinking it over. Especially as the lease term looms (I already filed paperwork to extend the lease just in case).

I had a chance to drive the M3P this past weekend at the Tesla event here in LA. I have a P85D+, no ludicrous. Surprisingly, I could also easily tell the difference in acceleration between my car (supposedly 3.2) and the M3P. I did think the M3P was smoother than my car and just more "refined" but within a few minutes any thoughts I had of wanting one dissipated. I'm very happy with my S and the P85D.

• Love
Reactions: RobsJester
I had a chance to drive the M3P this past weekend at the Tesla event here in LA. I have a P85D+, no ludicrous. Surprisingly, I could also easily tell the difference in acceleration between my car (supposedly 3.2) and the M3P. I did think the M3P was smoother than my car and just more "refined" but within a few minutes any thoughts I had of wanting one dissipated. I'm very happy with my S and the P85D.

That's interesting because the model 3 Performance Edition is reported to go 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds with a full charge.

If we owned our P90DL outright we wouldn't think twice. It's so different. We do love the refined nature of our S so I agree there, but the sporty aspects of the 3. Ahhhhhh lol

That's interesting because the model 3 Performance Edition is reported to go 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds with a full charge.

Yup, I thought the same thing. My wife thought the same too, she hates my insane launches but found the M3P one to be tolerable. And my buddy who never had been in both agreed mine felt much quicker.

Another thing I will say are those white vegan seats in the 3 were quite comfortable. I liked them a lot more than my next gen seats.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yup, I thought the same thing. My wife thought the same too, she hates my insane launches but found the M3P one to be tolerable. And my buddy who never had been in both agreed mine felt much quicker.

Another thing I will say are those white vegan seats in the 3 were quite comfortable. I liked them a lot more than my next gen seats.

Yes, the seats are surprisingly good. I didn't think the next gen seats were bad, until we got the M3 LR. There's some kind of memory foam in the seat that feels good.

Anyway.... still deciding between the P100D and M3P.

You have to schedule the lease return with AutoVin 1-800-556-2811. They will inspect on behalf of USbank/tesla.
Mine is scheduled for next week. My end lease date is september 22nd.

Just a heads up that I'm having challenges getting an inspection scheduled with AutoVIN. They don't seem to be on top of it. They originally scheduled for a date that I'm out of town (they ask for three possible days and they just sent me an email "confirming" for one of the days that I didn't give them) and despite calling them and telling them that I won't be there, I still get appointment reminders from them. Still waiting to hear back on getting an appointment on one of the days I gave them. I originally contacted them about 10 days ago...

Add me to the list of people trying to figure it out. I am debating going the CPO route or going with a *base* M3. I have a test drive scheduled for next week and explicitly told them I didn't want to see a P3D in a 20-mile radius to make sure I don't take it for a spin.

I extended my lease even though it made no financial sense as I will have to pay a full year of CA DMV fees...but hey, one/I can't be 100% rational when it comes to cars.

On a related note, I would love to hear about end-of-lease inspections when financed with Tesla as well...curb rash anyone?

@frebay: my gut (and it's just that...) is that what we're seeing re. inv cars is as good as it's going to get, +/- a couple of $100s off MSRP.

I just completed my lease return inspection (I financed through Tesla). They contracted the inspection to an outfit called Autovin, and the guy was nice but very, very thorough. He took about 30-40 mins to inspect, and in the end, he logged a few things: 1) a 2.5" curb rash that he attributed to "Normal Wear and Tear"; 2) a 5" curb rash he categorized as "Chargeable Wear and Tear" at a cost of $125; 3) a tire at 3/32" tread depth, slightly below their threshold of 4/32", also "Chargeable Wear and Tear" at a cost of $239.40. Hope that helps!

I was contacted by AutoVIN via robocall 11 days before my lease was scheduled to end. The robocall message was basically: "This is AutoVIN calling on behalf of your leasing company to schedule your inspection. Following the inspection, you'll be provided with an inspection report. Call us at 800-556-2811 between 8a - 9pm for a leasing inspection. Please include your Inspection ID# or last 8 digits of VIN."

I called them back to schedule an appointment. It was difficult finding a time - at first they offered me times that were *after* the lease return date, but eventually we found a time. In any case, I completed the inspection.

Tips:
  • AutoVIN comes to you. When scheduling an appointment, provide AutoVIN with a couple of address options for an inspection (ie home and work), to increase the chance of finding an open slot.
  • Be sure to have *both* of your keys with you for the inspection. If you don't, they assume a key is missing, and indicate a cost of $375 in the inspection report.
  • Don't assume the cost indicated on the lease inspection report is what you'll pay if you return the car as-is. There's a disclaimer on the bottom of the report indicating that it is not a bill - it's just an estimate of costs.
  • Try to schedule your inspection several days before the lease return date to provide yourself with time to remedy any identified deficiencies (or at least get estimates), should you choose to do so. You may want to reach out to them before their incoming robocall.
For my inspection, I was dinged not having the 2nd key with me at the time of inspection ($375), and also dinged for curb rash on 3 rims ($125 x 3 = $375). Regarding the latter, I did a bit of research on rim repair and ended up using a guy who came over and repaired the 3 rims for $270. I assume that Tesla will waive the $375 for the missing key when I return the car with both keys.

I've attached a redacted version of the lease termination inspection report for folks who are interested...

AutoVIN - ConditionReport (Redacted).png

I just completed my lease return inspection (I financed through Tesla). They contracted the inspection to an outfit called Autovin, and the guy was nice but very, very thorough. He took about 30-40 mins to inspect, and in the end, he logged a few things: 1) a 2.5" curb rash that he attributed to "Normal Wear and Tear"; 2) a 5" curb rash he categorized as "Chargeable Wear and Tear" at a cost of $125; 3) a tire at 3/32" tread depth, slightly below their threshold of 4/32", also "Chargeable Wear and Tear" at a cost of $239.40. Hope that helps!

Very helpful indeed.Thanks!