Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snagged a P90D Inventory car for $700/mnth on the new 24 month lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the 24 months have gone quickly! going to miss our shiny red rocket :(

i'm 6k miles over, which is what i expected. the lease for 10k annual miles was cheaper than buying 12k or 15k for some reason. paying the 25c was better.

we won't be buying it out at the inflated residual. this was our second Model S and i am moving on to a Model X this next time around.

Reactions: wesley888
Do you have to put new tires on the car before lease return? I suppose it depends on tread depth...

I'm taking my X in for its yearly service this week, and hope to drive or sit in the M3AWDP. To drive it, one is supposed to request it online, and wait for a call. I requested a Tesla loaner. I'd love to drive a new S and see if I can live with a sedan.

I'm 15k miles over. Have some minor parking lot damage to repair too.

And the car is bricked in my driveway ("service required car will not start"). Will deal with that tomorrow.

Already bought the replacement... CPO 2015 bmw m235xi. I'll miss the space and the power, but I missed the sound of an engine honestly.

Hey, GoofyGrin, not to be a pill here, but a BMW?!?

Allow me to borrow a quote . . .

“If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.”

Eldridge Cleaver

Please, don't be part of the problem.

The facts are pretty friggin' clear: every time you buy gas for an ICE vehicle, you "vote" with your dollars. You are saying, "I WANT THIS."

Well, what you are voting for places our entire planet's future at risk:

Trump administration releases report finding ‘no convincing alternative explanation’ for climate change

Furthermore, you directly support these lies, this evil, frankly, and there's no better word for it:

Exxon Knew about Climate Change Almost 40 Years Ago

Exxon was aware of climate change, as early as 1977, 11 years before it became a public issue, according to a recent investigation from InsideClimate News. This knowledge did not prevent the company (now ExxonMobil and the world’s largest oil and gas company) from spending decades refusing to publicly acknowledge climate change and even promoting climate misinformation—an approach many have likened to the lies spread by the tobacco industry regarding the health risks of smoking. Both industries were conscious that their products wouldn’t stay profitable once the world understood the risks, so much so that they used the same consultants to develop strategies on how to communicate with the public.

Experts, however, aren’t terribly surprised. “It’s never been remotely plausible that they did not understand the science,” says Naomi Oreskes, a history of science professor at Harvard University. But as it turns out, Exxon didn’t just understand the science, the company actively engaged with it. In the 1970s and 1980s it employed top scientists to look into the issue and launched its own ambitious research program that empirically sampled carbon dioxide and built rigorous climate models. Exxon even spent more than $1 million on a tanker project that would tackle how much CO2 is absorbed by the oceans. It was one of the biggest scientific questions of the time, meaning that Exxon was truly conducting unprecedented research.

[truncated]

Sorry if this is a little aggressive, but I am perplexed when/why otherwise intelligent people make choices which place our only planet's future at risk.

Please reconsider your BMW purchase and get back into the EV world ASAP, preferably with another Tesla, the only "pure play" available.

Thank you.

• Disagree
Reactions: u00mem9 and Don TLR
It may be somewhat OT, but I'm adding this since I know some folks on this thread are considering an M3P to replace our leased P90DL's...

So last week I test drove a M3P so I could compare it to the P90DL that I leased 2 years ago thanks to this wonderful thread. I really wanted to compare the two cars to help me decide between potentially buying the P90DL at end-of-lease residual - which I agree is a overpriced - or instead buying a new M3P. Thankfully I managed to get a test drive within hours of it arriving at the showroom.

M3P ride vs. P90DL: I felt that M3P tight suspension rode pretty roughly compared to the 2016 P90DL's air suspension. Understandably It also drove much firmer than the rear wheel drive M3 with 18" wheels. My middle-aged butt preferred the ride of the P90DL's air suspension and the M3 with 18" wheels.

M3P acceleration vs. P90DL: I was surprised that I noticed the difference between the M3P 3.5ish second 0-60mph and the P90DL 2.7ish 0-60mph. From a standstill, the P90DL has noticeable jolt when floored - it did seem quicker. The M3P didn't have that jolt off-the-line. The M3P did eventually provide the "rollercoaster tummy" feeling (just barely), but not as extreme as the P90DL. Once the car was already moving - such as when passing someone - the difference in acceleration wasn't noticeable to me. I know this type of 3.5 second and 2.7 second comparison is pretty silly in terms of need, but I did indeed notice a difference for what it's worth.

M3P cornering vs. P90DL: unfortunately, I didn't have much of an opportunity to test the lighter and more nimble M3P's cornering abilities. I know that that could be where the M3P could shine for folks who want a smaller car. Based on the test drive route, the cars felt similar, though I couldn't try turns at much faster than 35 mph.

While I liked the M3P, after the test drive I actually now find myself leaning towards the P90DL - I like the larger size and the acceleration. But the P90DL has less range, and the M3P is a new car. Decisions decisions...*sigh*. I know having this choice is a very good problem to have, but I admit I've lost quite a bit of sleep thinking it over. Especially as the lease term looms (I already filed paperwork to extend the lease just in case).

Thanks for sharing your opinion - very relevant to a lot of us here.

My P90DL lease was ending October of this year. I've extended it until January, tentatively planning to take delivery of a model 3 performance.

I think the residual on my car is something like $91k. I've tossed and turned over this issue as well. It just seems like so much to pay for a nearly 3 year old car - mine is the old style nosecone which I don't like, no center console, etc.....but it's in really great shape. I also considered a new 75/100D, but part of me is ready for something new. The last time I chose the same car two times in a row I regretted it and was bored long before it was time to trade it in. The Model S is by far the best car I've ever ridden in, much less owned, so maybe that wouldn't be an issue, but I can't help but feel if I put nearly 100k into one right now, in 18 months it's going to be a depressingly better car compared to my Feb 2016 example as they upgrade/refresh to make it competitive vs the 3.

Model 3P Is $64k after the tax credit for more range, nearly same interior space for the driver, better interior storage/ergonomics, faster MCU, newer battery tech with faster charging, etc, etc.

I've driven the RWD Model 3 some. I find the front seat marginally more comfortable in the 3. I like the 2 screens in the S better. S styling is better IMO (minus my nosecone). I like the smooth ride of the S when I'm cruising on the highway - I have to admit though, it feels sloppy in hard cornering compared to the 3 RWD.

Right now my preference is:
1) new model 3P
2) showroom model 100D
3) New 75D
4) buyout P90DL

But ask me again tomorrow and it might be totally different....

My wife has had enough. She's yelling at me from the other room - totally over it.

@tmarcc and @ba2002 both of your comments have been helpful. I haven't gotten in a P3D yet but I am leaning that way. We don't need the size of the S but it is a slick car. Our issue is I can't really order a P3D unless I toss down at least $20k to keep my payments low as we are having a house built expected to close end of this year and I can't really screw with that. I really don't want to miss the $7500 tax credit but might need to just bite the bullet and deal with $3500 and order in JAN/FEB. Also toyed with extending the lease but not sure as it likely makes more sense to just pocket that money toward the 3.

I like the two screens, the 3LR seats were nice (I do think the next gen in the S are better), SAS is a nice feature but not one I want in my sports cars. I do have a 335i right now that I used to use as a track car after I sold my BMW M3 race car and I did plan on tracking the P3D occasionally. As such, I do like the better brakes, but the wheels don't make sense as too thin and large.

First world problems, though even if I don't get the P3D this year I will at least have a house with a dedicated 100A circuit to charge on when I do. I will not be buying my car out, maybe I will buy it when the market floods and the prices drop.

Good luck to all on their search for their next vehicle.

Teslas current lease rates are horrendous, so even with a decent price adjustment, you’re still looking at payments $400-500 more on a 100D than what some of us were paying on P90’s :)

Personally, we bought our two new teslas and called it a day. At 1.49% financing, it’s free money and we got $15k in Fed credits and $5k in CA rebates.

Teslas current lease rates are horrendous, so even with a decent price adjustment, you’re still looking at payments $400-500 more on a 100D than what some of us were paying on P90’s :)

Personally, we bought our two new teslas and called it a day. At 1.49% financing, it’s free money and we got $15k in Fed credits

I'm thinking the same thing. Best lease I saw was $1400 / mo for a fully loaded P100D. I might still consider buying an inventory car.

The question is, inventory P100D or Model 3 performance? The M3 performance is $76k vs $146k for a new P100D. The acceleration is still different, 2.3s vs 3.2s 0-60... but the M3 is ~1000 lbs lighter and fun to drive....

I'm thinking the same thing. Best lease I saw was $1400 / mo for a fully loaded P100D. I might still consider buying an inventory car.

The question is, inventory P100D or Model 3 performance? The M3 performance is $76k vs $146k for a new P100D. The acceleration is still different, 2.3s vs 3.2s 0-60... but the M3 is ~1000 lbs lighter and fun to drive....

I'm buying a P3D. I'm ready for something fresh and not as big/heavy as the Model S as it's just my commuter car. And for me new/fresh @ 75k vs P100D @ 2x that it's pretty easy.

I'm going to revisit the model s/x after the refresh in 2021 or whatever.

I'm looking forward to having somewhere not-insane to put my damn diet coke.

Personally, we bought our two new teslas and called it a day. At 1.49% financing, it’s free money and we got $15k in Fed credits and $5k in CA rebates.
congrats!

i agree. why are the lease rates so bad this time around? they are going to have to get with the program in another 2 years when other comparable EV alternatives are out there with competitive leasing terms!

I still have the generic "late september 2018" which was updated today. I haven't received "the call" yet.

I spoke too soon. Got "The call". Same day as my lease ends is my delivery day. How about that? I also locked in my financing rate at 1.39 using some credit union and unsecured no-lien lightstream deals. It's this year's lease deal, except i get the tax credit this time.