Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow driving, Model 3 RWD with snow tire handles better than RX350 with snow tires.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more post for today. Today GTA is very cold in the morning, see my another thread for the range. Then snowing, and now is worst road conditions now, because most road snow shave trunk has not been there yet.

I drove a short distance on the local roads on Model 3, feel a bit slippery, and later I switched to my Rx350 2013. both have snow tires. I feel RX350 AWD is not any better than my Model 3 in snow conditions . In my opinion, Model 3 RWD is even better.

Of course, my RX 350 snow tires used a couple season but Model 3 RWD snow tire is almost brand new.

Reactions: bijan and outdoors
I had two short drives in the local neighborhood this morning - same route, one with M3 AWD snow tire and another one with my 2010 Lexus RX350 snow tire. I have to say my 10-y old RX350 traction control is much much better than M3's ... especially the uphill start. I always wondering how I can be sure my M3 is AWD :(

The M3AWD was charged 90% at 433KM this morning before I left the door. After 45KM local no traffic drive, the remaining is 323KM - about 41% efficiency from a cold battery:(

Last edited:
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I had two short drives in the local neighborhood this morning - same route, one with M3 AWD snow tire and another one with my 2010 Lexus RX350 snow tire. I have to say my 10-y old RX350 traction control is much much better than M3's ... especially the uphill start. I always wondering how I can be sure my M3 is AWD :(

The M3AWD was charged 90% at 433KM this morning before I left the door. After 45KM local no traffic drive, the remaining is 323KM - about 41% efficiency from a cold battery:(

That means your M3AWD is worse than my Model 3 RWD in snow. And M3 in this forum refers to BMW M3.:)

Funny I have a rx350 2013 as well and a RWD Model 3 and the RX will pick up a easier on acceleration for sure. Although with the Tesla you need to switch to chill mode. I find much better traction feathering the throttle than just mashing it and letting the car dial back the power too much.

Question, my RWD when pushed and slipping will veer to the left where FWD cars with an open differential pull to the right. Is this the same for everyone else ?

Have not had any trouble getting around but it was slipping quite a bit for both cars even with winter tires. Overall the Lexus RX350 with VDIM traction control was Superior to RWD Model 3 . Let's be serious though this will most likely be an issue 10 times a year and the RWD can still get around without trouble. Don't worry all is well.

Last edited:
Interesting many of us, including me, just keep our old dependable ICE AWD for winter driving.

Old dependable ICE for snow/ice?

I've had a lot of good snow/ice cars in my life but the Model 3 is not only more dependable, more capable, faster to react and returns more feedback from the tires, it also puts down more traction when climbing steep/slippery hills. In short, it's the ideal car for snow and ice assuming the snow is not so deep that it's a problem with it's 5.5" ground clearance. I've never seen so many strange tales that subtly try to imply the Model 3 is lacking in winter driving ability. It's simply telepathic on the slippery stuff (and more fun too).

So RWD pushes the rear out to the right causing the car to swerve left (towards oncoming traffic). Where FWD pushing the front to the right causing your car to swerve right (to the curb).

LOL! No, it doesn't work that way. It depends upon the camber of the road.

However, the dynamic stability and traction control in the Model 3 is so fast and sensitive it's not going to happen that way. From the way people are talking around here I would swear I just got teleported back to the 1970's and everyone is driving crude Chevy Novas or something! Hasn't anyone driven a modern car?

Reactions: outdoors
So RWD pushes the rear out to the right causing the car to swerve left (towards oncoming traffic). Where FWD pushing the front to the right causing your car to swerve right (to the curb).
I mean that's not something that happens all the time. I experienced it once that caused me a bit of alarm today when transitioning from tracks in the snow to full out snow. It lasted a couple seconds before I was able to correct.