Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tire advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my MX, I bought Blizzaks from Tire Rack, premounted on 19" rims. The grip on snow and ice is outstanding. Energy efficiency, on dry roads, takes a big hit...about 15 to 20 percent higher consumption than the stock Continentals under the same conditions.
However, for hitting the Colorado mountains in the winter, I'm happy to take the efficiency hit for the better traction.

Has anyone found a good comparison of the X-ice, Blizzak, and the PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO that Tesla sells?

I've read just about every review I could find on the various winter tire options and while the X-Ice and Blizzak are well represented (and usually in some combo of 1 through 3 ranking with the Hakkapeliittas), I at least haven't seen any traditional publications that have even included the SOTTOZERO in the test group. This is all anecdotal from internet forums but I get the sense they are intended more as a cold weather dry performance tire with better snow/ice performance than a normal tire but not at the level of the dedicated snow tires like the three above.

Not an expert by any means so if others have more concrete knowledge please correct me!

I've read just about every review I could find on the various winter tire options and while the X-Ice and Blizzak are well represented (and usually in some combo of 1 through 3 ranking with the Hakkapeliittas), I at least haven't seen any traditional publications that have even included the SOTTOZERO in the test group. This is all anecdotal from internet forums but I get the sense they are intended more as a cold weather dry performance tire with better snow/ice performance than a normal tire but not at the level of the dedicated snow tires like the three above.

Not an expert by any means so if others have more concrete knowledge please correct me!

It’s hard to find the Sottozeros in a direct comparison to the others because they are a different class of tire. The Sottozeros are performance winter tires. They are more focused on performance and less on the winter conditions performance. From tire rack:

“For drivers wanting enhanced dry road handling from their winter / snow tires and are willing to trade some snow and ice traction to get it.

These tires were originally developed for winter driving on European highways where high-speed driving on clear roads must be combined with traction on snow-covered roads. These tires are available in many of the low sidewall profile, large wheel diameter sizes used on sporty coupes and luxury sedans, as well as several crossover and sport utility vehicles.”

In contrast, studless ice and snow tires like the X-ice have the following characteristics:

For drivers wanting to maximize snow and ice traction from their winter / snow tires without the inconvenience of using winter tire studs.

These tires were developed to meet challenging winter driving conditions around the world by delivering studded-like snow and ice traction without employing noisy, road-damaging studs. These tires feature pliable tread compounds molded into purposeful tread designs that trade some handling in dry and wet conditions to deliver excellent snow and ice traction. Available in a wide range of sizes for coupes, sedans, minivans, and crossover vehicles.”

Make a decision based on the conditions you will face the most. They are all good tires but for different (albeit overlapping) applications. I got X-ice tires for Ohio winters and haven’t regretted it.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari and Falcon3
The Sottozeros are performance winter tires. They are more focused on performance and less on the winter conditions performance.

In contrast, studless ice and snow tires like the X-ice have the following characteristics:

For drivers wanting to maximize snow and ice traction from their winter / snow tires without the inconvenience of using winter tire studs.

Great information.

For the past few years in Madison we've been very light on snow, but hit with a lot of negative degree days. As such, it seems like the Sottozeros are the best choice for me.

My strategy was to get the standard 18" wheels, bought a new set of 19" wheels in Dark Grey to match Midnight Silver M3, put on Michelin Pilot Sport tires and sold the Michelins that came with it. Rides great on the Pilot Sport tires. The total package installed was $2,500 Cdn and sold tires for $750.
I am using the 18" wheels for my winter set and will buy tires in the fall, so looking for a reasonable priced recommendation. I am also interested in hearing about the TMPS sensor experience. Tesla has available for $100 each including tax, same sensors as Model S, but I have seen after-market on Ebay for about half that price. Anyone use a brand they would recommend?
Changing tires is easy and I have been doing it on both our cars for the last 8 years, takes about 1 hr per car, much easier than hauling to tire center and waiting.
IMG_6283.JPG

My strategy was to get the standard 18" wheels, bought a new set of 19" wheels in Dark Grey to match Midnight Silver M3, put on Michelin Pilot Sport tires and sold the Michelins that came with it. Rides great on the Pilot Sport tires. The total package installed was $2,500 Cdn and sold tires for $750.
I am using the 18" wheels for my winter set and will buy tires in the fall, so looking for a reasonable priced recommendation. I am also interested in hearing about the TMPS sensor experience. Tesla has available for $100 each including tax, same sensors as Model S, but I have seen after-market on Ebay for about half that price. Anyone use a brand they would recommend?
Changing tires is easy and I have been doing it on both our cars for the last 8 years, takes about 1 hr per car, much easier than hauling to tire center and waiting.View attachment 315346

I'm also planning to use the Aero 18s as winter wheels, am I mistaken that the TPMS should actually stay with the wheel or did you transfer the ones from the 18s to your 19s when you had the Pilot Sports installed?

I'm also planning to use the Aero 18s as winter wheels, am I mistaken that the TPMS should actually stay with the wheel or did you transfer the ones from the 18s to your 19s when you had the Pilot Sports installed?

I used the ones that came this 18" wheel so I have time to investigate a new set for winter tires. Went to Tesla and they sell same ones as Model S, but $85 + HST each. Want to see alternatives. They didn't say I would have problems with After-market.

I used the ones that came this 18" wheel so I have time to investigate a new set for winter tires. Went to Tesla and they sell same ones as Model S, but $85 + HST each. Want to see alternatives. They didn't say I would have problems with After-market.

Gotcha, makes sense! Just scared me as I plan to sell the 18s as well and hadn't planned on needing two sets of TPMS for the winter tires and the Pilots :)

For me, I'm getting TSportline wheels for the Pilots so planned to get the OEM Tesla TPMS from them. Might be worth a look for you as well since it's $300 instead of $400?

Otherwise, according to the Model 3 owners forum these are also the same model as OEM for 65 apiece:

https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/resul...&autoModel=Model+3&autoYear=2018&autoModClar=

TPMS Sensor for Continental TPMS system

Last edited:
Expecting (hoping) for my non-P AWD to arrive in the next few months - just before Massachusetts winter. Opted for 19” sport wheels, figure I should plan to get some snows - would like to not pay the price for the Tesla set; any advice on options? Never bought snows before.

I have used 3 different sets of snow tires in my days but not all on my Model S. I have used the Nokian's, Blizzaks and now I have X-Ice 3's on my Model S. The thing I value most in a snow tire is the relationship between performance and quiet (with quiet being a tad bit more important to me). In that regard, the X-Ice 3 tires are the best I've ever had.

I'd give a slight edge to the Nokian's in performance (I must stress slight), but the Michelin's are definitely quieter.

The Blizzaks are a non-starter for me. Worst of the three in performance but more importantly, tremendously noisy. I absolutely despised my Blizzaks. My wife has them on the RX350 and we BOTH despise them on her RX (they came with the car). So, I would vote...

1. X-Ice 3
2. Nokian Hakka's.

3. Snow Shoes.

4. Blizzaks.

...The thing I value most in a snow tire is the relationship between performance and quiet (with quiet being a tad bit more important to me). In that regard, the X-Ice 3 tires are the best I've ever had...
I agree. I notice each time I put the X-Ice 3 tires on my car how quiet they are compared to the regular tires — OEM Goodyears. Not that the regular tires are particularly noisy, just that the Michelin snow tires are so very quiet.

As @clostridium said, choose tires depending on your winter.
For mostly rain, some slush and occasional snow, Sottozero, Michelin Alpine or similar. For real snow and ice, Hakka R2, Continental ContiVikingContact 6, X-ice etc are good. Try to find some European tests like AutoBild, ADAC or AutoMotorSport.

Reactions: clostridium
I agree. I notice each time I put the X-Ice 3 tires on my car how quiet they are compared to the regular tires — OEM Goodyears. Not that the regular tires are particularly noisy, just that the Michelin snow tires are so very quiet.

I have the X-ice3's as well and they are impressive tires. I find them a little noisier on acceleration but it is not an annoying noise, I actually like it. At cruising speeds they seem the same probably because other nosies drown things out. Their efficiency seems no worse than the OEM 19" tires on my S75D (maybe a little better possibly) though I don't have a massive amount of data with similar temperatures for a real comparison.

The reviews I've read led me to believe that the X-ice's performance in non-snow conditions was not significantly worse than the Sottozeros.

Something really important to consider is that any decent modern winter tires (that includes essentially all of the tires mentioned in this thread) will outperform all-seasons in temperatures below 45-50 degrees even if the road is dry. There are well constructed tests showing very real differences in braking on dry road in colder temperatures with winter tires. Google away for videos that demonstrate that.

Reactions: dgpcolorado