Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tires for 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I just took delivery (19 October 2022) of an extended range Model Y. This is my first Tesla and I am seeking recommendations for snow tires for the beast. I live in Colorado and good snow tires are a must. Thanks for the help.

Hello all. I just took delivery (19 October 2022) of an extended range Model Y. This is my first Tesla and I am seeking recommendations for snow tires for the beast. I live in Colorado and good snow tires are a must. Thanks for the help.
Start with the Tesla Model Y: Driving Dynamics TMC forum. Search the forum for "winter tires". You probably already have experience with specific brands, model of winter tires. Check on Tirerack for compatibility with your Tesla Long Range Model Y.

You will find winter tires in sizes for the 19" and 20" Tesla wheels. Many Tesla Model Y owners purchase a set of winter wheels and winter tires as a package. There are also 18" wheels for the Model Y so there may be more choices in winter tires in that size.

Upvote 0
I went with the package Tesla sells for ease, replacement Pirelli Scottozero 3 tires through them are a tad cheaper then tire rack and the service centers only handle OEM tire & wheel concerns. I moved through the snow with ease last winter season, don't forget to have your brake calibers cleaned yearly (I do so after the winter salt season) as per the manual.

Upvote 0
I purchased Continental Viking Contact 7’s last winter and I was very happy with them. I’m not sure I’d run performance winter tires in the mountains if I expected to encounter a lot of snow.

I still think our outback has better awd, but the Tesla was serviceable with the Continental’s.

Reactions: Jeff N
Upvote 0
I purchased Continental Viking Contact 7’s last winter and I was very happy with them. I’m not sure I’d run performance winter tires in the mountains if I expected to encounter a lot of snow.

I still think our outback has better awd, but the Tesla was serviceable with the Continental’s.
Have you actually ever run performance snows. They are 90% as good in deep snow and way better in all other conditions.

I used to run Nokian or X-Ice. After I tried performance snows on my X (package from Tesla) I’m never going back. Unless you live on snow or ice. I think a performance snow will serve most folks better more often.

And my AWD 3 really wasn’t great in the snow with X-Ice snow tires. The X with performance snows would run circles around it.

So I can believe your outback did better than your Y. Y has the same issues as the 3 in the snow.

Upvote 0
Have you actually ever run performance snows. They are 90% as good in deep snow and way better in all other conditions.

I used to run Nokian or X-Ice. After I tried performance snows on my X (package from Tesla) I’m never going back. Unless you live on snow or ice. I think a performance snow will serve most folks better more often.

And my AWD 3 really wasn’t great in the snow with X-Ice snow tires. The X with performance snows would run circles around it.

So I can believe your outback did better than your Y. Y has the same issues as the 3 in the snow.
Yes. I had perelli sotozero seri p2 on a Mercedes awd.

I used to live in Vermont, where they don’t use salt or sand, and don’t plow the roads to the pavement a lot of the time. I had better control with a true snow tire. I’d rather give up some handling for deep snow traction.

Upvote 0

Which performance snow tires have you used and recommend?

Upvote 0
There are also 18" wheels for the Model Y so there may be more choices in winter tires in that size.
I was considering dedicated winter tires as well for a while but discovered my Model Y did fine in snow, great actually, especially with the off road option turned on to equalize the torque and braking regen. However, in a heavier snow region like CO I would definitely get snows. What I found during my search was that the 18" was the way to go. As mentioned above, many more choices, less expensive, and thinner tread is possible, which from what I've read is beneficial for winter traction. I would definitely go with a second set of wheels (rims). It seems a great advantage to not have to mount and dismount tires twice a year.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all who have replied to my original query.

I found a neighbor who purchased from Tesla the Model Y 19" Gemini wheel and Pirelli winter tire package and likes the result. Here is the URL:

Of course, the package is now Out of Stock and Tesla will not permit entering an order. The Tesla service center in my area (Loveland Colorado) told me that they expect this package to become available in the near future, but, who knows when that might actually be. I'll just keep checking every few days and hope for the best.

Reactions: MikeHawk
Upvote 0
As someone who's weathered through everything from slushy "Cascade concrete" to the salty, icy conditions of Vermont, NH and Quebec, I'd recommend the Nokians. I've been running studded Hakkapelittas for years and I'm about to get the Hakkapelitta 10EV for my new LR MY.

Performance snows work really well most of the time, but there are days - and occasionally weeks - where I really can't do without something like a Nokian Hakka. I suppose if you can avoid going out on the worst of days, performance snows will be fine, but if that's not the case I'd go for something more aggressive that'll offer enough to keep you on the road vs. ditched like so many others on the worst days.

Reactions: MikeHawk
Upvote 0
Just an update after the helpful info here. Drove my MYP over a small mountain pass with sticking snow this weekend in Oregon and it was passable but decided to upgrade to new Winter Rims/Tires going forward. Here’s what I found at Discount Tire..
Inventory’s were non-existent for Nokian as they were made in Russia, and Michelin X-Ice had best availability.
Bought
Rims: VISIONCROSS II19 X8 5-114.30 38 BKMTXX rims for $230
Tires:
MICHELINX-ICE SNOW255 /45 R19 104H XL BSW for $322.
Had to order new TPMS from Tesla for $95 per.
$2960 for Tires (+hazard warranty), Rims, Installation, and Tesla TPMS.
Teslarati packages were going for $3800+ all though they are forged rims and the above are cast. The cast still had 2100lbs of coverage per tire, which is more than enough.

Upvote 0
Bought
Rims: VISIONCROSS II19 X8 5-114.30 38 BKMTXX rims for $230
Tires:
MICHELINX-ICE SNOW255 /45 R19 104H XL BSW for $322.
Had to order new TPMS from Tesla for $95 per.
$2960 for Tires (+hazard warranty), Rims, Installation, and Tesla TPMS.
I know you’ve already made your purchase so just another data point from me for others looking.

I’m likely in the minority, but I chose to buy Tesla’s $2750 19” winter tire and wheel combo (4x Gemini wheels, Pirelli Sottozero, TPMS). I got the store alert that they were in stock a few weeks ago, bought them online, got them shipped to my local SC, and had them installed by the following weekend. 30 minute install appointment, and the brand-new original wheels and conti tires are in my basement ready for the swap back in early April-ish.

For me, it was painless, and the Pirelli’s don’t seem any louder than the stock Conti’s so far.

I’m at about 279 Wh/mile combo city/hwy after about 900 miles on the winters. 2023 MYLR.

Edit: side note: always been extremely pleased with the team and service at the Council Bluffs IA SC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know you’ve already made your purchase so just another data point from me for others looking.

I’m likely in the minority, but I chose to buy Tesla’s $2750 19” winter tire and wheel combo (4x Gemini wheels, Pirelli Sottozero, TPMS). I got the store alert that they were in stock a few weeks ago, bought them online, got them shipped to my local SC, and had them installed by the following weekend. 30 minute install appointment, and the brand-new original wheels and conti tires are in my basement ready for the swap back in early April-ish.

For me, it was painless, and the Pirelli’s don’t seem any louder than the stock Conti’s so far.

I’m at about 279 Wh/mile combo city/hwy after about 900 miles on the winters. 2023 MYLR.

Edit: side note: always been extremely pleased with the team and service at the Council Bluffs IA SC.

st wanted black rims in place of the Ubertines for winter. I’m seeing Vredestein Wintertrac Pros showing available on tire rack, but didn’t at the store today.

Upvote 0
As someone who's weathered through everything from slushy "Cascade concrete" to the salty, icy conditions of Vermont, NH and Quebec, I'd recommend the Nokians. I've been running studded Hakkapelittas for years and I'm about to get the Hakkapelitta 10EV for my new LR MY.

Performance snows work really well most of the time, but there are days - and occasionally weeks - where I really can't do without something like a Nokian Hakka. I suppose if you can avoid going out on the worst of days, performance snows will be fine, but if that's not the case I'd go for something more aggressive that'll offer enough to keep you on the road vs. ditched like so many others on the worst days.

I have Hakkapelitta R3 SUV on both the Y and the S, great snow tires. I do not have the studded version though as there are a few drawbacks to keep in mind. They are rather noisy, will damage your garage floor and are banned in most underground garages for the same reason.

Here is a good comparison when it comes to winter tires which gives you a good idea of how important tire compound can be for winter tires. If you do not garage your car and are in icy conditions most of the winter then yes, studded is the way to go. If you garage and commute in an area that is plowed and salted resulting in wet or dry surfaces most of the time, non studded will be a better choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update....I decided to buy a set of X-Ice. For this winter I'm just having them swapped onto my Gemini wheels. The wheels I was looking to get are all out of stock now and most winter tires are hard to find. I was down to the choice of X-Ice or Haaka R5 and X-Ice are rated better in the wet which I see more than snow on Vancouver Island. In the spring I'm going to decide if going forward I want the Gemini wheel for summer or winter. If winter, I will buy a new set of wheels for the Conti A/S OEM tires and keep the X-Ice on the Gemini. If summer, I will swap the tires one more time and wait till next winter to buy new wheels for the X-Ice. But eventually I want each tire on their own wheel.

The X-Ice may be overkill for my conditions but I do live at higher elevation and often sit above the snow line and have to drive up and down the hill every day. I also will sometimes make a winter road trip into the interior of BC over the often treacherous Coquihalla Hwy so full snow are a must for that.

Tires should be arriving at Costco in a week or so. Hoping for snow to test them out!!

Upvote 0