Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is well documented that a significant number of people who ordered cars in March/April/May 2022 (when the demo cars in UK dealers and the Tesla UK website had/showed USS based Park Assist) recieved USS-less cars on November/December 2022 without notification of the change nor a disclaimer to be signed accepting the change.
Yes, I ordered in January 2022 and at no point did I receive any communication about this (frankly, no communication about anything which is normal for Tesla). However, well before collection I knew that my December delivery car would be USSless via this forum and other internet chatter.

In addition, I only avoided taking a huge financial loss (at that time) because my purchase price was locked prior to price increases, with deferred collection for both June and September. Nevertheless I am very happy with the Model Y and will wait until either the SuC network fully opens up or other infrastructure is both widespread and as reliable as Tesla....

At that point Tesla will receive a hand gesture that my ageing self never thought I would need to use again... but will gladly resurrect specially for them.

Significant distraction? They deleted USS to save money because they were reducing prices. People knew how to park for a century without USS...I think the world is not going to end without it.
I can eat my food in a post restaurant with my bare hands too but prefer to use a knife and fork.

Likewise I could park my first car in a space less than 6” longer than my car, no USS - but helped that it had a throaty exhaust that thudded quite nicely when it got close to car behind. Cars have got so enclosing now that any resemblance to visibility in cars even 20 or so years ago let alone 100 years is rather naive, and before anyone says an equally naive comment, cameras don’t always give the visibility you need - or even work for that matter. Even now, 99/100 I don’t need USS, but like my knife and fork, useful to have when you need them like a van driver yesterday who almost reversed into me and their ‘USS’ was me banging on their tail gate.

Correct, gen 3 platform may not even come with a wheel. Who knows..but got to get the price down and make money.
Presumably every car will then have fully functional and validated FSD rather than a tiny percentage here in UK who have FSD but far from functional? This would cost a lot of money to someone if Tesla made every car have FSD as standard - bit like when basic AP became a free feature but basic cost of car went up a significant amount.

The comments about items being removed because car is designed to drive itself might be a bit less naive if all cars were supplied with a fully functional FSD which in UK/Europe only the stupid people (yes I am one of them) paid a significant proportion of the cars cost new for not much more than EAP functionality, the remainder of the cars having just basic LKA much like (or inferior to) many other cars on the road.

You can’t have no (presumably steering) wheel of the car if it can only swerve amongst a couple of white lines or tarred repair joints.

Last edited:
I can eat my food in a post restaurant with my bare hands too but prefer to use a knife and fork.

Likewise I could park my first car in a space less than 6” longer than my car, no USS - but helped that it had a throaty exhaust that thudded quite nicely when it got close to car behind. Cars have got so enclosing now that any resemblance to visibility in cars even 20 or so years ago let alone 100 years is rather naive, and before anyone says an equally naive comment, cameras don’t always give the visibility you need - or even work for that matter. Even now, 99/100 I don’t need USS, but like my knife and fork, useful to have when you need them like a van driver yesterday who almost reversed into me and their ‘USS’ was me banging on their tail gate.
Then maybe Tesla is not the company for you. They will keep deleting costly hardware and replace it with software as they make their cars cheaper and more for the masses. The function may or may not work well, but Tesla doesn't care. They just care about affordability and transitioning to EVs asap. The vision is pretty clear, the gen 2 platform deleted a bunch of hardware and just gives you a 15inch screen. Gen 3 will be even more bare.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Then maybe Tesla is not the company for you.

You are absolutely right. But when I bought mine and even last time I looked they were still a car company and made no mention that they would steal functionality from the car that you bought and replace it with poorer performing functionality and bugs.

I was kind of use to buying a car and, you know, it lasting 14+ years with minor reliability problems like other manufacturers do. It’s September, must be time for it’s annual service centre visit to fix a problem that other vehicle manufacturers solved, to coin your phrase, 100 years ago.

I pity poor Joe Thomson, apparently from Tesla sales, who when they do finally work out how to make a telephone call will get a verbal response similar to their numerous emails that they sent saying “we will never buy another Tesla” or words to that effect. I guess Tesla must be pretty desperate this month that they don’t know how to take no for an answer.

Last edited:
Then maybe Tesla is not the company for you. They will keep deleting costly hardware and replace it with software as they make their cars cheaper and more for the masses. The function may or may not work well, but Tesla doesn't care. They just care about affordability and transitioning to EVs asap. The vision is pretty clear, the gen 2 platform deleted a bunch of hardware and just gives you a 15inch screen. Gen 3 will be even more bare.
Stopped reading after "costly hardware"

I bet you brought a ruler and a paint spectrophotometer to pick up your car but didn't bother to read the document they make you sign about USS changes and not having visible USS sensors on the bumper.

Wrong on all counts. That’s a million £ you owe me - that was the wager wasn’t it?

But I’m a generous soul. Let’s do double or quits. You promise never to post in this UK sub forum and I let you off. But one more post, you will owe 2 million. Please pay it to RNLI charity.

Oh yea. I’ve got USS and have had for 4 years. So there were no documentation for me to read. And as for ruler and paint whateverthingy, didn’t need to have a ruler to see that bonnet was over 1cm too low (but still ‘within spec but let’s see what I can do’) and the chap who ceramic coated my car said the paint was as crap as all the other Teslas that he had done and then managed to peel off a large section of paint without telling me and covering it up hoping I wouldn’t notice which I did when I got home from his workshop.

Last edited:
Wrong on all counts. That’s a million £ you owe me - that was the wager wasn’t it?

But I’m a generous soul. Let’s do double or quits. You promise never to post in this UK sub forum and I let you off. But one more post, you will owe 2 million. Please pay it to RNLI charity.

Oh yea. I’ve got USS and have had for 4 years. So there were no documentation for me to read. And as for ruler and paint whateverthingy, didn’t need to have a ruler to see that bonnet was over 1cm too low and the chap who ceramic coated my car said the paint was as crap as all the other Teslas that he had done.
I am so confused. Are you saying they took away ultrasonic functions with a software update even though you have the sensors? I did not have this experience in the U.S with my 2018 M3 and I have FSDbeta.

Reactions: bkp_duke
It's more what it's symbolic of, really.

I can park well enough, but at the same time I use ultrasonics for precision and confirmation. Higher end cars nowadays (and for some time) have intelligent, adaptive headlights that mask out other cars oncoming or in front of you so you have maximum illumination of your surroundings without blinding people. These same higher end cars have lane keeping, self parking that actually works, automatic wipers that you don't even think about because they just work.

All of this technology exists and has done for years, and if you're paying a decent amount for a car it's not unreasonable to expect it. It's particularly shocking when this basic stuff doesn't exist or doesn't work properly on a car from a company that sells itself on being "the tech person's car". The reason these things don't work on modern Teslas is not because the technology is immature, or even particularly expensive, it's because Tesla would rather save a relatively paltry amount to maximise their profit margins. The customers suffer, and the customers don't even have the choice to spec these things as an option.

Beyond class leading range, the SC network, and the software UX - I'm struggling to justify why I still have my Model 3 to be honest, and this is brought into sharp focus whenever I happen to sit in or drive any remotely new, similarly priced car. I'm frankly sick and tired of Tesla removing things from these cars without a substitute system available. Tesla Vision Park Assist is a poor alternative to ultrasonics, and didn't arrive on the scene until a full 6 months after they had already started removing sensors from delivered cars. Matrix headlights were shipped on the first Shanghai cars, and nothing has been done with them since then. They are utterly dumb, beyond a gimmick feature during another gimmick (Lightshow).

There are aspects of my car that I like, but more often than not now I find myself unimpressed with the things being removed purely for margin-boosting, the glacial or backwards pace of automated driving in the UK & Europe, etc. I find myself asking myself why I should drop £55k+ again on another M3P (or whatever replaces it) when Tesla will just kick me in the balls with a £10k price drop at some point, when none of the convenience tech that is ubiquitous exists or works, etc. There comes a point where one starts to question why one is putting up with it.
Yes..all the technology exists...I used to have some of it in my Volvo...of course it stopped working...of course the dealer couldn’t fix it...of course they charged for it...

Just need one more for the completed bingo card. Exciting!
Isn't it just.

You've got to hand it to @Singuy, he just ignores responses to his ever shape-shifting 'arguments' (I use the word extremely loosely here!) and moves right along to the next one!

Twice now he has 'suggested' people just didn't bother reading / signing the declaration to accept the vehicle without USS...and without this key piece of arse-covering documentation, Tesla went ahead and delivered the vehicle regardless!

Last edited: