Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't quite know where you are going with this ? the BMW is quieter and 30kg lighter than the new Model 3 ? How do you know it's quieter I'm not aware that anybody has whipped out their decibel meter on the new model 3, which apparently has improved acoustic performance.

Apologies if I am just being dumb here :)
I had a joy of driving 330e for 2 years before M3. believe me - it is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than model 3

if you do not trust me, well, maybe this will help:
BMW 330e G20 specs, 0-60, quarter mile, lap times - FastestLaps.com vs

Model 3:
Noise @ 50 kph (30 mph)62 dB
Noise @ 80 kph (50 mph)67 dB
Noise @ 100 kph (62 mph)70 dB
vs bmw:
Noise @ idle40 dB
Noise @ 50 kph (30 mph)55 dB
Noise @ 80 kph (50 mph)64 dB
Noise @ 100 kph (62 mph)61 dB

I mean, those numbers are not even close.. sadly

Love the look of it and the other changes. Although the no indicator stalk thing i'll pass judgement on until I try it.

Has instantly aged the look of the already 7 years old model 3. Front end now looks very sleek. Glad I held off now putting in another order.

Last edited:
Reactions: pharwood
It's a long time since I drove with young kids in the back ... I seem to recall they have to be threatened with death if they keep kicking the back of the front seats ... I wonder how long that low positioned screen is going to last! (Oh, and how about an unruly pooch bouncing around ...)

Love the look of it and the other changes. Although the no indicator stalk thing i'll pass judgement on until I try it.

Has instantly aged the look of the already 7 years old model 3. Front end now looks very sleek. Glad I held off now putting in another order.
I drove past dozen roundabouts each day, at least a handful of them I need to indicate exiting.
I don't think one would realise how much they might need that stalk with just a test drive...

I had a joy of driving 330e for 2 years before M3. believe me - it is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than model 3

if you do not trust me, well, maybe this will help:
BMW 330e G20 specs, 0-60, quarter mile, lap times - FastestLaps.com vs

Model 3:
Noise @ 50 kph (30 mph)62 dB
Noise @ 80 kph (50 mph)67 dB
Noise @ 100 kph (62 mph)70 dB
vs bmw:
Noise @ idle40 dB
Noise @ 50 kph (30 mph)55 dB
Noise @ 80 kph (50 mph)64 dB
Noise @ 100 kph (62 mph)61 dB

I mean, those numbers are not even close.. sadly
Happy to concede BM3 3 Series is quieter than the current model 3.

But point still stands how do you know it's significantly quieter than the new one ? Reason I mention it is, according to Tesla, a lot of improvements have been made in this area (and it needed it).

As a former BMW owner I don't see why everyone is fussing about not having stalks. What are they for anyway?, there isn't a single essential feature on them other than putting the car into drive.
Maybe it’s dirty up north but I manually wash the screen pretty frequently. Thats now a button on the steering wheel. I’m sure it’d become just as ingrained as the button on the end of the stalk. As much as that is now muscle memory I had to learn that and when I first got the car I didn’t even know about it for the first couple of days and thought I had to use the screen or voice control!

Like: Vented Seats, Higher Efficiency
Non-starter: Stalks. It's just going to make it even more awkward swapping between cars

Price - my 2c is that they'll start +1/2k higher, skim the "got to have the latest" crowd, and quietly drop down to where they are now

My 2022LR with USS is still looking pretty good ;)
Will be interesting to see if the missing stalks affects sales, and if Tesla might change their mind with customer demand.

i wouid be really really surprised if good sound insulation would more than 59 kg to total car weight and would affect acceleration by 0.01s
Good sound insulation is dense and therefore heavy but it isn't just about the dedicated insulation, everything on the M3/MY is designed to reduce cost and weight (to aid range). The carpets are thin, the body panels are a thinner gauge than most other manufacturers use for aluminium - all these things contribute to sound being transmitted into the cabin.

Look on the bright side. Had Tesla come out with a refresh model superior in every way and for a reduced price people would be ranting that they (further) crushed resale values on all existing ones. The updated version may have improvements in some areas but also a number of questionable changes. I don’t plan to upgrade ours anytime soon but the removal of indicator stalks (as well as their implementation of the button replacement on the wheel) in itself is probably a dealbreaker for us. I see no benefit for a driver and likely many negatives from that change alone.

And for those lamenting that the UK has to wait for the new version, perhaps be thankful that there is still time to buy the current version.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha