Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What concerns me most about no steering column stalks is

1) how do you now control main beam headlights?

If it's a button located on the steering wheel at night. That doesn't sound good. Especially if you're mid-turn when needing it.

If it's supposed to work 'automatically' ... then good luck with that.

How do you main-beam flash?

2) how do you now control the Windscreen Wiper quick wash? Because if that now involves looking at an LCD monitor, taking your eyes off the road... that's going to be a problem.

3) double mini roundabouts in the UK. If your steering wheel is upside down, how you going to indicate properly?

It'll be very risky to try and indicate at all.

4) Magic Tree RIP

I am pretty sure it's the red reflectors that are required by law to remain visible all the time not necessarily the lamps themselves. These more often than not are built into the rear clusters of cars but not always. So whilst the new rear light clusters lift with the tailgate, it still looks like the fog and reverse lights mounted lower down in to the bumper have the red reflectors to remain legal.

From The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

1693643445783.png

1693643508631.png

What concerns me most about no steering column stalks is

1) how do you now control main beam headlights?

If it's a button located on the steering wheel at night. That doesn't sound good. Especially if you're mid-turn when needing it.

If it's supposed to work 'automatically' ... then good luck with that.

How do you main-beam flash?

2) how do you now control the Windscreen Wiper quick wash? Because if that now involves looking at an LCD monitor, taking your eyes off the road... that's going to be a problem.

3) double mini roundabouts in the UK. If your steering wheel is upside down, how you going to indicate properly?

It'll be very risky to try and indicate at all.

4) Magic Tree RIP
Model S / X wheel.. New Model 3 probably similar

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902_094452_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_094452_Chrome.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Ah - that video ^ answers my question about tail lights when the boot is open. I'm pretty sure that's not legal in the UK.

You are correct. As you highlighted in the legislation above, the reason is simple: if you are broken down on the hard shoulder and you have the bonnet or boot open, the hazard lights must remain visibile.

Before anyone makes the comment about the Model 3 not having a spare, families will often stop and raise the boot lid to get at a buggy or change bag for the kids. In short this new design should not pass on the current legislation.

Reactions: garycat and asl3312
the removal of the stalks is a brave move and I’m sure will alienate a number of drivers. But it really would need a “try before you buy”.

personally I don’t have a problem with the button being where it is. why? Because I spend literally hours on my driving sim playing Eurotruck Simulator 2 and my steering wheel is set up with the indicators in the same place as they are on the Highlander. It was a pain at first I soon got used to it and wouldn’t think they would be a problem in real life.

of course I fully appreciate there is a LOT of difference being on a driving sim and the real world, I’m just saying that IMHO it won’t be as difficult as one might first think.

Also for what it’s worth I’m not the in the market for one anyway!

The second quote specifically mentions indicators so i would say no.
Maybe this is why you can't order it yet in the UK
You’d think if you were designing a new car you plan to sell globally that you’d look into this before you make these kind of mistakes. Assuming this is blocking UK sales, they now have to make a revision to the design if they want to keep selling here.