Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a sad day when the "most technologically advanced car company in the world" gets people excited about the potential inclusion of a forward facing parking camera

Anyway, weren't the cameras meant to be in the headlight units pointing sideways at one point? Or was that another rumour they all got lots of clicks for spreading the story?

I still like the look overall, I think the changes are subtle but take it in a positiuve direction, I just want some real owners sharing some real stories after some real deliveries. The press were clearly managed over the launch, they had all shot various videos in advance of the launch date so the infamous "we have no press department" were doing something.

Reactions: Zilla91 and Durzel
It's a sad day when the "most technologically advanced car company in the world" gets people excited about the potential inclusion of a forward facing parking camera

Anyway, weren't the cameras meant to be in the headlight units pointing sideways at one point? Or was that another rumour they all got lots of clicks for spreading the story?

I still like the look overall, I think the changes are subtle but take it in a positiuve direction, I just want some real owners sharing some real stories after some real deliveries. The press were clearly managed over the launch, they had all shot various videos in advance of the launch date so the infamous "we have no press department" were doing something.
Reviewers that dont toe the line at press launches don't get invited back and anecdotally Tesla can be fairly petty and vindictive ( the fish rots from the Techno King down) and no one in the EV review space wants to be locked out of the Tesla for obvious reasons so you have to treat these launches as if the reviewer has a gun to their head, though in many cases I think Stockholm Syndrome may have set in anyway.

Reactions: wow400
I like the Highland overall, and would probably switch my 2020 M3P to the equivalent one, particularly if it ends up being a Plaid model that is sub 3 second 0-60.

Having said that I am also conscious of buying into the "first generation" of a product. Technically this Model 3 isn't that, but at the same time if the "50% of parts are changed" is to be believed then I can imagine a scenario, not unlike when I bought my car in Q1 2020, where significant changes are made to things based on feedback, or whatever - e.g. how the car had a complete console change, dechrome, heatpump, etc.

On the other hand the car has had most of those significant changes for a couple of years now, so you'd like to think it's a much more mature product. With Tesla though you just don't know.

I need to work out what I'm doing with FSD and any kind of claim against Tesla before that ever happens though, assuming that at that point it is not transferrable.

A lot of people are getting bent out of shape over the removal of stalks...and even are threatening to leave the brand. It reminds me that big user interface update and people swearing never to have another Tesla because of the removal of the tire pressure card.
At the end of the day..the minimalist approach to interiors and driver controls...is very divisive, but everyone here has embraced it...so why not go all the way 🤷‍♂️
Citation needed

Reactions: Jason71
I have to say, without giga castings or structural battery pack, I wouldn’t mind a list to see how they managed to change 50% of the parts.

when apple shows the iphone 15 next week it'll look mostly like the iphone 14 but they'll declare it 'all new' and emphasise the effort put into it and how everything has changed. Which may be just the same old screen but 0.1mm to the left in the frame. Still 'new'

They always say that for cars even LCI ones that look only slightly different mostly fluff.

Reactions: nigelpurvis@gm
I have to say, without giga castings or structural battery pack, I wouldn’t mind a list to see how they managed to change 50% of the parts.

If you compare the Body in White of the Model 3 Highlander on the Autralian web site
against the Body in White of the current Model 3 on the US web site, you can notice that:

- The Hilander don't have any front firewall, similar to to Model Y.
- The Hilander don't have a speaker shelf above the rear wheelhouse.

So all the components attached to the firewall and speaker shelf can be installed in advance,
which will certainly save time during the car assembly.

Honestly, the Model 3 Hilander could now be easily converted into an hatchback or a shooting brake.

Model 3 Highlander - Body in White

Model 3 Highland - Body in White .jpg

Model 3 - Body in White

Model 3 - Body in White .jpg

Model Y - Body in White

Model Y - Body in White .jpg

Last edited:
I still feel a bit uncomfortable nosing in but I rarely do that in any car anyway, reversing when you have the camera as your main view and that as a backup is fine for me and the wife.

Wife and I have reversed into a hard-to-see not-very-big post on more than one occasion, even with backup cameras.

I definitely appreciate something beeping to cause me to reassess in that situation. For normal parking and "crawl up close" I don't need any special help, but for some obstacle lurking with the potential to do £1,000's in damage ... yeah, nice to have a beeper

I am also conscious of buying into the "first generation" of a product.

Delay for RHD is often enough to provide some comfort ... although for M3 seems unlikely they can wait very long

I was trying to figure this out and it’s pretty plausible.
also the 50% figure seemed to be mentioned as parts on the outside of the vehicle, so wouldn’t include the casting or lack thereof anyway.

Anyway, here’s what I’ve spotted:
  • Front bumper
  • Headlights
  • Front fenders/quarter panel (higher at the front with more bumper presumably for better crash repairs)
  • Bonnet (squared off at front and flared at rear)
  • Front doors (crease by camera)
  • Repeater/cameras (wider)
  • Boot lid (lights)
  • Double glazed rear window glass
  • Rear/tail lights
  • Rear reflectors/secondary light cluster
  • Rear bumper/diffuser
  • Acoustic rear roof glass glass

Reactions: Bouba