Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when apple shows the iphone 15 next week it'll look mostly like the iphone 14 but they'll declare it 'all new' and emphasise the effort put into it and how everything has changed. Which may be just the same old screen but 0.1mm to the left in the frame. Still 'new'

They always say that for cars even LCI ones that look only slightly different mostly fluff.
Well guess this depends on what your definition of new is. If it’s how it looks then you are right, it will look very similar to the iPhone before it.

But if it’s based on the parts that make up the phone, all new or close to all new I think would be an accurate assessment. They’ll likely have:

New A17 SoC
New Qualcomm baseband
New WiFi 6E
New USB C connector
New Ultra Wideband Chip
New Cameras and lenses
New Titanium Frame
New larger battery

I mean be some more, maybe some parts might carry over like FaceID components or such but probably 80 - 90% of that phones components will be new I’d guess… it’ll just look similar 😉

50% changes doesn't mean only part shapes that have changed - it could be things fitted or omitted too - like stalks, rear passenger screen, HW4, even the onboard memory, the Tesla rear badge to letters (and they probably account for 5 changes)
I've given up taking the word of Tesla or Elon as the truth on anything

50% changes doesn't mean only part shapes that have changed - it could be things fitted or omitted too - like stalks, rear passenger screen, HW4, even the onboard memory, the Tesla rear badge to letters (and they probably account for 5 changes)
I've given up taking the word of Tesla or Elon as the truth on anything
True, a change can include a removed part. What’s the point in them lying on this stat though? Sandy will find out when he gets one and strips it down no doubt.

I know Tesla say that it’s effectively a model gets improvements but never a brand new car. Obviously with 50% new parts in this, it kind of is. I mean when BMW come out with a new 3 series how much of it is new and how much is carried over from the last gen? Looks can change quite a bit but bet there’s still quite a bit carried over sometimes.

I do wonder sometimes if Tesla will continue with the S and X. I think there’s value in a halo model but possible you get to a point that just refreshing an old design just isn’t the way to go. Cannot see them ever having Gigacasting as the volume wouldn’t make sense for it but maybe just scrap and come out with a whole new one of each.

That or just bring Plaid motors and air suspension to some 3 and Y’s, sunset the bigger cars.

I once worked for a major automaker and we launched a new model that shared a platform with another brand.

In order to avoid press criticism for “badge engineering” we told the press that XX% of the parts were new. We measured that by weight.

We used the weight of a floppy disk with schematics to account for the engine and transmission.

Well guess this depends on what your definition of new is. If it’s how it looks then you are right, it will look very similar to the iPhone before it.

But if it’s based on the parts that make up the phone, all new or close to all new I think would be an accurate assessment. They’ll likely have:

New A17 SoC
New Qualcomm baseband
New WiFi 6E
New USB C connector
New Ultra Wideband Chip
New Cameras and lenses
New Titanium Frame
New larger battery

I mean be some more, maybe some parts might carry over like FaceID components or such but probably 80 - 90% of that phones components will be new I’d guess… it’ll just look similar 😉

I'll be upgrading from an iPhone 11 Pro that I've had since 2019. I've been holding out for USB-C.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
They've placed a banner on the UK website and are inviting people to sign up for updates, so it may not to be too far off (perhaps inline with Australia's Jan-Mar 2024 estimate?)

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 08.42.12.png

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
To be fair I've seen a few moan about it too across various threads.. Both for the highlander and the S/X
I hardly think the claim is outlandish
Post the quotes where people have said they are "swearing never to have another Tesla because of the removal of the tire pressure card."

If you seen them say it across various threads it should be trivial to find one.

Reactions: Doudeau and Jason71
I think you might be confused by Tesla announcing that the Model S and X refresh will not be available as RHD.

But the Model 3 Highland RHD can be ordered in Australia with delivery January-March 2024.
No, not confused by the S/X, but thought the timeline for RHD Highland was later next year. If it's early next year then demonstrators may be arriving sooner than I thought.

Post the quotes where people have said they are "swearing never to have another Tesla because of the removal of the tire pressure card."

If you seen them say it across various threads it should be trivial to find one.
Oh.. That quote.. I assumed it was on about the stalks and indicater buttons... There were numerous points made in the comment. I've not seen that one specifically though.