Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I tend to agree and that is half the problem... not to mention when people go across it and not around it :rolleyes:
Yes another issue. To be honest maybe buttons on the wheel to indicate is fine but just not for a lot of British drivers. I mean it's probably going to be even harder to text on your mobile, go around a roundabout and indicate now while putting your lippy on 😉

It’s really out.
IMG_7113.jpeg

That's what FSD is for 😬
Well hopefully the laws at least might allow FSD to come to the UK, it's then a case of how long until Tesla release it. There's probably a lot of situations that can occur in the UK that it simply won't come across in the US. Like reversing down a single track road because there's no passing place near enough.

I also imagine just the less width we have on our roads might also get it into a flap. Is it going to be happy driving down roads where there's cm's between clipping wing mirrors with a car going the other way? I suspect not.

it seems clear that Tesla have no interest in developing any kind of parallel reduced-functionality FSD for markets outside of the US. Their plan of attack seems to be to simply deploy FSD "as is" in regions as and when they open up enough to allow it. If those regions don't relax their rules to enable it to exist, then they don't do anything.

As such, I can't conceive of a scenario where we get anything like how the current FSD beta operates in the States. The regulation wheels turn very slowly (months & years). I could imagine it being at least 3-5 more years before there's any practical chance of deployment, by which time I would expect other manufacturers - particularly European ones who are inclined to develop these things for this market - are on par if not ahead.

Well hopefully the laws at least might allow FSD to come to the UK, it's then a case of how long until Tesla release it. There's probably a lot of situations that can occur in the UK that it simply won't come across in the US. Like reversing down a single track road because there's no passing place near enough.

I also imagine just the less width we have on our roads might also get it into a flap. Is it going to be happy driving down roads where there's cm's between clipping wing mirrors with a car going the other way? I suspect not.
Take it easy man... Do you only laugh at your own jokes? 🤔 ;)

Take it easy man... Do you only laugh at your own jokes? 🤔 ;)
Nah sorry if you misunderstood or maybe my bad for not being clear. I got you 😉

Just though it also deserved a bit of a serious convo also. Just because the law might change in the UK on this to allow it (Will still take a while to change the law), doesn’t mean FSD Beta will just then pop up quickly. Could be years still after that.

I sat in a Highland today at Tesla Stratford. It was a left hand drive model. The interior improvements are nice, esp the mood lights and the ventilated seats. The exterior changes are less obvious than I was expecting. But I think overall it does look a little more stylish at the front than the old model.

The stalks issue is what it is. I'd prefer that Tesla hadn't done it, but if SEXY button people deliver an after-market solution then it's not the end of the world.

Build quality didn't look noticeably better than the current model and while the door shut is a little nicer in its acoustics, it's not night and day IMHO.

Overall, it looks like a nice upgrade, but I don't think I'd be jumping in right now given that there are zero discounts or finance deals available on them.

The interior improvements are nice, esp the mood lights and the ventilated seats.
I really like the fact that the inside of my M3 is nice & dark at night, without all the button backlights and light pollution from an instrument cluster or driver display. I've never really understood the need to have "mood lighting" inside a car, personally. If it has some kind of functional capability it's useful, but otherwise I'd be turning it straight off. Hopefully Tesla will have built in some controllability for the future to make it behave a bit like the ID Light in the VWs. It reacts to AEB events and flashes in the direction you're indicating etc (at least it's supposed to, when it works...).

I really like the fact that the inside of my M3 is nice & dark at night, without all the button backlights and light pollution from an instrument cluster or driver display. I've never really understood the need to have "mood lighting" inside a car, personally. If it has some kind of functional capability it's useful, but otherwise I'd be turning it straight off. Hopefully Tesla will have built in some controllability for the future to make it behave a bit like the ID Light in the VWs. It reacts to AEB events and flashes in the direction you're indicating etc (at least it's supposed to, when it works...).
I guess ambient cabin lighting is just a fashion thing. I personally quite like it, so long as it isn't too bright. I assume it can be turned off for those who don't want it.

As to the VW ID light - we had an ID3 and the ID light seemed like a great idea on paper, but in reality it was totally useless. It only does left/right indication if you use the VW sat nav, which is complete garbage. Its other functions are limited and of no real use. I think it was a nice idea, but the implementation doesn't do the idea justice! In fact, that just about sums up the ID range in general. The basic engineering is solid and well executed, but the software, interior, and finishing touches are just terrible or lacking altogether (e.g. still no pre-heating for rapid charging and it seems it will now never arrive via OTA for earlier cars).

I sat in a Highland today at Tesla Stratford. It was a left hand drive model. The interior improvements are nice, esp the mood lights and the ventilated seats. The exterior changes are less obvious than I was expecting. But I think overall it does look a little more stylish at the front than the old model.

The stalks issue is what it is. I'd prefer that Tesla hadn't done it, but if SEXY button people deliver an after-market solution then it's not the end of the world.

Build quality didn't look noticeably better than the current model and while the door shut is a little nicer in its acoustics, it's not night and day IMHO.

Overall, it looks like a nice upgrade, but I don't think I'd be jumping in right now given that there are zero discounts or finance deals available on them.
I had a look at a Stealth Grey highland, you’re right seems to have evolved rather than night and day difference, interior just seems a bit cleaner and seats look and feel great, I do wonder if a lot of reviewers are comparing to Fremont built cars which supposedly aren’t as good build wise?

I’m without a car at the moment so have ordered, can’t wait for any future deals but the £3k price reduction over outgoing model convinced me to order, they had a MX in Ultra Red in the car park which looked great so will go for that colour

A few reviews mentioned (I'm assuming Tesla told them this) that the front lights are sufficiently powerful that fog lights would be redundant. So maybe they have a "high brightness" mode when you turn on the "fog lights".
Brightness isn't normally the issue, it is the height of them needing to be low down to avoid reflective glare.

I've no particular issue with them being removed myself, haven't used front or rear fog lights for decades. Living in the South East I don't recall the last time I drove with visibility truly being below 100 metres.

A few reviews mentioned (I'm assuming Tesla told them this) that the front lights are sufficiently powerful that fog lights would be redundant. So maybe they have a "high brightness" mode when you turn on the "fog lights".
Sounds like standard Tesla bull#hit to me - fog hovers close to the ground & low fog lights are designed to shine down, illuminating the road beneath the fog.