Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Musks time as CEO at Tesla may be decided by how well the new M3 sells this year. He was pushing for a significant uplift in his shareholding (I think he has about 13% and wants 25% otherwise he'll take his AI toys away) and its being resisted (as it should), which is a bit of a clue, and maybe his motives were also to protect his position. The shareprice is the worst performing in recent years of the big 5 or so in Tes;la's category, it's essentially at the same level as it was in Nov 2020 during Covid, If he has a bad year, he can try and blame market conditions and interest rates etc, but they're spending enprmous amounts of cash on R&D and yet here we are debating basic functionality like indicator controls, get excited when autowipers seem to have improved. and not some wizz-bang-game changing feature. I think once you've transformed a market which Tesla has now largely done, EV's have come on leaps and bounds thanks to Musk, and nearly everybody has a respectable L2 autonomy capability on good quality roads, rapid charging is now widely available and even superchargers are opening up, where do you go next? I think its safe to say FSD isn't going to be at L3 or above anywhere soon even if the latest US version really rocks because of all the other hurdles to overcome. The institutional investors may take the view that spending less of what some consider vanity projects like the robot and arguably even FSD, and just want Tesla to bang out cheap sellable cars that do what they say on the tin and not lose that position by straying too far from the basics.

I think Musks time as CEO at Tesla may be decided by how well the new M3 sells this year.
That’s one hell of a leap to take there, especially given the graveyard of failed tech startups whose visionary leader was deposed.

As the saying goes:
In the short-run, the stock market is a voting machine. Yet, in the long-run, it is a weighing machine.

Elon is in many ways a bit of a gobshite, but Tesla wouldn’t be better off without him at this stage.

Highland isn’t going to move the needle.
Tesla’s global production capacity for the 3 is about 600k and that isn’t going to change any time soon, it has already declined from a peak of 750k after some of that capacity was switched to the Y to address that demand.

If the macro improves, Tesla could do 2.3m in ‘24 if it doesn't they’ll be roughly flat on sales and the stock will also likely flatline until late ‘25 (unless Energy/Megapack does somethig dramatic) when the next-gen smaller ~25k car launches. Sensible investors will recognise that and keep building their position while the stock is cheap until that point, when it’ll be to the moon 🚀🌒 again and all the grumbling will be forgotten.

You mean the stock pump kite that was flown yesterday ahead of the disappointing results? That “car”? Yeah, can’t see that happening any time soon.

Whatever happened to that Roadster they announced like 4/5 years ago? 😂
Well they basically said it’s at least 2 years away, which is the most guidance they’ve given to date, so I agree it wont be “soon” - it’s hardly a stock pump though when it’s literally been in their shareholder deck as in development and discussed in multiple investor days for at least 4 years now.

I’m surprised people seem surprised by any of this.

You mean the stock pump kite that was flown yesterday ahead of the disappointing results? That “car”? Yeah, can’t see that happening any time soon.

Whatever happened to that Roadster they announced like 4/5 years ago? 😂
I expect delays but unlike the roadster this is mass market and has been on the cards for a while.
My worry is that the look of it will be polarising and this talk of revolutionary manufacturing process will be more difficult than anticipated leading to delays.
In my view this vehicle (and ramping up 2170 battery’s whilst the 4680 are being improved) should have been the focus after the Y.
Because it wasn’t we now have at least 2 years of smaller increases in sales.

Reactions: boombap
Adaptive matrix headlights coming to highland in update:
Where have you been over the last week or two?

I think the summary is it’s a story based on a tweet by a German and since then the tweet has been removed and no further evidence has been forthcoming other than a type approval for a fog light replacement where the beam is spread to not dazzle. The thing to understand about notateslaapp is they don’t actually know anything, they just hoover up any rumour they can find and try and turn it into news

I believe the smart money says this isn’t adaptive in the sense an Audi or BMW driver might assume, although I’d be very happy if that view is proven wrong

Well I think they’ll be some happy people down the South West pretty soon.

Followed a car transporter full of Highlands today along the M4 and then onto the M5 possibly heading to the Bristol Collection point .
Mine is due to be delivered to my home in Bath on Friday, whereas I picked my current 3 up in Cribbs.
I'm not sure why I've been offered home delivery this time...

One could make an argument that if they removed the Autopilot features from the right stalk, to relocate them to the wheel, the car would look seriously janky with a single left stalk, so removing one effectively necessitates removing the other.

My answer to that is simply - don't bother removing either stalk. 🤷‍♂️
Yes agree it would look weird with only one stalk. I mean I could accept having the drive controls on the touchscreen. They could then use the other stalk to make different fart noises. ;)

I think we are talking about very small amounts actually. I also don’t think Tesla did it to save cost, I think Tesla did it because they are Tesla. Just like they didn’t invent the Yoke to save on the costs of the missing part of the wheel.

If you look at highland, there’s lots there that could have increased cost and not reduced it. Rear screen, ambient lighting, better suspension, more sound proofing and so on. The steering wheel change I think has nothing to do with cost, just Tesla / Elon thinking they can invent a better way of doing this.
Yes this is the crux of it, they had to remove the stalks on the Model S when they came up with the Yoke. Had that car just kept the same concept of a wheel, then I doubt they'd ever come up with removing the stalks on subsequent models.

Hopefully someday they'll realise their mistake (just as with the Yoke) and add back the stalks.

It's ridiculous and frankly an embarrassing compromise to have to look at the steering wheel anytime you want to indicate.

I was Supercharging at Tesla Birmingham yesterday and had my first chance to look at the Highland.

Likes - rear end with new lights
Alloy wheels looked nice on a 73 plate outside.
Didn’t look at the ambient lighting but I’d image I’d of liked it.

Dislikes- Front end. Much prefer the older sharper nose
White interior with ventilation holes looked dirty to me.

Reactions: boombap