Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do think they should have prioritized the Model 2 over both the Semi and the Cybertruck. That has the potential to sell some serious volume but it may be that much of that will be cannibalised from the Model 3 and to a lesser extent the Y which might be why they are dragging their heals on it.
I think the timing of the M2 is perfect, interest rates are too high, the main group of buyers right now are not ready for EVs, hence the fixation with hybrids now, we dont want the M2 now

think peak for hybrids is now until mid 2025, Ev adoption will increase but be slower, and the M2 will arrive at the perfect time
late 2025 M2 will be ready in large numbers, interest rates will be lower and the main group will be ready to move from hybrids to pure BEVs

think the ipad, it was ready before the iphone, but Steve J held it back and released the iphone instead
the iphone was released first due to the market was not ready for the ipad
the rest is history

the M2 will make history

Reactions: boombap and Roger20
It was widely reprted that BYD outsold Tesla in EVs during Q4 2023. But they took more of a hit than Tesla for Q1 2024 if you look at EV sales and delivered fewer than Tesla.
But BYD still experienced a 13% sales growth of BEVs in Q1 2024 compares to Q1 2023 while Tesla suffered an 8.5% fall. I’m no market analyst but I’d be willing to bet a small fortune that BYD’s sales will comfortably beat Tesla’s in 2024.

Reactions: Pants
I do think they should have prioritized the Model 2 over both the Semi and the Cybertruck.
Take a look at the top selling vehicles in the US and then you can maybe see why they went the way the did:

Incidentally the top seller has been the top seller for 41 years!

Take a look at the top selling vehicles in the US and then you can maybe see why they went the way the did:

Incidentally the top seller has been the top seller for 41 years!
Yes but it could have been a more conventional truck (which would have made it to market quicker) and in parallel in Berlin or Shanghai a model 2 could have been developed.

Given they cut production in China to 5 days per week I don't see them getting back to their quarterly highs.
Depends - Giga Austin is ramping hard and despite the headlines the USA seems finally to be reaching a decent EV inflection point.
I’m somewhat surprised Shanghai didn’t suffer sooner with Berlin stealing most of its export volume to Europe except for RHD. China volumes were stronger than RoW despite its slump.

Reactions: EVMeister
I do think they should have prioritized the Model 2 over both the Semi and the Cybertruck. That has the potential to sell some serious volume but it may be that much of that will be cannibalised from the Model 3 and to a lesser extent the Y which might be why they are dragging their heals on it.
No point in prioritising it without the necessary battery supply.
The roadmap is driven by cells and there ain’t enough available for volume production of M2 yet.

No point in prioritising it without the necessary battery supply.
The roadmap is driven by cells and there ain’t enough available for volume production of M2 yet.
I don't think the M2 will need or use 4680. To hit the expected price point I am pretty sure it will be using LFP. probably CATL. There are plenty of those available but presumably they will want to use the ones from the new US factory in the US to get tax incentives.
Can't help feeling though that the main market for this will be China and Europe. Small cars are not as popular in the US as they are in those markets.

I don't think the M2 will need or use 4680. To hit the expected price point I am pretty sure it will be using LFP. probably CATL. There are plenty of those available but presumably they will want to use the ones from the new US factory in the US to get tax incentives.
Can't help feeling though that the main market for this will be China and Europe. Small cars are not as popular in the US as they are in those markets.
Correct about not using 4680, but Tesla don't have enough LFP supply for a smaller car that will be at multi million unit volume and are just starting construction on their first US based joint venture with CATL to alleviate some of that problem and prepare for the future. The limiting factor has been affordable volumes of cell supply for every model launch.

I also doubt the 2 will be small by European standards, more Ford Focus sized which sell well in US too.