Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After.
Roadster launch event pencilled for end of this year.
On past history of scheduled launch events I’d guess that means a November event and production in early 2025.
Unless it’s delayed yet again, which is a distinct possibility. Tesla’s timelines are as reliable as a chocolate fireguard. The Roadster was originally due out in 2020, and I feel sorry for the gullible people who made $50k deposits in 2017.

I think the Musk should predict that the Roadster will be available in 2028. Then when it’s actually available in 2027 he can bleat about how incredibly efficient Tesla’s design team and gigafactories are.

Unless it’s delayed yet again, which is a distinct possibility. Tesla’s timelines are as reliable as a chocolate fireguard. The Roadster was originally due out in 2020, and I feel sorry for the gullible people who made $50k deposits in 2017.

I think the Musk should predict that the Roadster will be available in 2028. Then when it’s actually available in 2027 he can bleat about how incredibly efficient Tesla’s design team and gigafactories are.
In all fairness, there was a pandemic and related everything shortages with supply chain screw ups that kinda got in the way of product development for a while.

Of the late products impacted, namely the Cybertruck, Semi, & Roadster, there’s only one left to deliver from that list with the other two ramping production already. Even FSD is finally out of Beta in North America.

Then we’re just down to the as yet unannounced products of the compact car and the van.

…Of the late products impacted, namely the Cybertruck, Semi, & Roadster, there’s only one left to deliver from that list with the other two ramping production already. Even FSD is finally out of Beta in North America…
It makes me a little sad to think about the new roadster in the context of FSD Beta. Hopefully it’s like the terrible 80s movie Twins, where all the good stuff goes into one and all the bad stuff goes into the other.

Anybody buying any car always checks that the shape is current....and you either wait for the new shape or get a discount on the old
Only enthusiasts do that. People who buy a car to get from point A to point B only care about price, range and comfort.

When my mum bought her most recent car all she cared about was driving position, view out the back and Bluetooth connectivity to her phone. While she is not representative of all drivers I think she's fairly typical of her age group.

When my manager got his Model Y he really didn't care about any of the features, he got it as a company car and when I tried to engage him in conversation about all the different features he just said to me "It's a car, I don't care as long as it gets me where I'm going".

Only enthusiasts do that. People who buy a car to get from point A to point B only care about price, range and comfort.

When my mum bought her most recent car all she cared about was driving position, view out the back and Bluetooth connectivity to her phone. While she is not representative of all drivers I think she's fairly typical of her age group.

When my manager got his Model Y he really didn't care about any of the features, he got it as a company car and when I tried to engage him in conversation about all the different features he just said to me "It's a car, I don't care as long as it gets me where I'm going".
Yes you're right.

But what I do find interesting is that so many who've bought a Tesla have in fact become enthusiasts. I see so many questions on the forums about humdrum things like getting kerb rash and scratches fixed, and thinking 0.2 secs to 60 is a a real and statistical difference, that make me think these are people that didn't care about these things before they got themselves a Tesla.

Reactions: boombap
Kinda odd that Tesla didn't refresh the Y at the same time. Yes I'm sure it's difficult but they are ambitious, aren't they? They have a stack of cash on hand, etc.

As it is I don't know why anyone would buy a new Model Y now, unless it's an arrangement (e.g. salary sacrifice) where they're just choosing whatever seems like it might suit them best without much affinity one way or the other.

Kinda odd that Tesla didn't refresh the Y at the same time. Y
Project Juniper was always aimed for 2025 or late 2024. But I guess Tesla did a mild refresh of Model Y (if I remember correctly) for the chinese market with ambient light and some interior changes - not exterior. Also Tesla did the right thing - Model Y is their best selling car and they really want to take their time before releasing the new version. Any issues with the highland (stalks etc.,) can be added or offered as an option depending on the feedback.

Kinda odd that Tesla didn't refresh the Y at the same time. Yes I'm sure it's difficult but they are ambitious, aren't they? They have a stack of cash on hand, etc.

As it is I don't know why anyone would buy a new Model Y now, unless it's an arrangement (e.g. salary sacrifice) where they're just choosing whatever seems like it might suit them best without much affinity one way or the other.
The Model 3 will obviously be a template for the new Y....but it’s possible somethings might not translate....like the aerodynamic coefficient....also, some of the Y (Berlin I think) already have the gigacastings...so the manufacturing process might be different. But mostly I suspect that it’s staggered to keep a positive cash flow

Yeah, about that...
Numbers are numbers. They are down the first quarter, you and BYD can say all you want to make and sound good about year on year growth and decline - but Q1 2024 Tesla sold around 387,000 and BYD sold around 320,000. And They and you were over the moon when Q4 2023 sales was higher than Tesla. The same logic applies, just accept they sold less than tesla.