Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, how does the Model 3 drive vs the Bolt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never trusted Motor trends much. They always seem fearful of upsetting anyone. Still remember all the comparo tests in the 80s declaring that GM was very close to matching the imports. This article seemed much the same. They are all good. just different.

Bolt is more compliant. Feels lighter but not as glued to the road as the three.

3 interior is nicer and supple.

3 ui is inherently better from a user perspective and will improve. Bolt ui and features are better once you get to CarPlay mode.

Bolt surround cameras for parking are superior to sensors.

3 acceleration is better.

Surprisingly the 3 appears to get slightly better wh/mi efficiency.

The bolt has tiny seats, hard plastic interior, (white dash model reflects on the windsheild) no garage door opener, nice rear passenger room for a car it's size. No auto windows down etc, lots of things missing for a 41k car. I didn't find the ride anything special but fine for a commuter. Rear view Mirror Camera was good on the PREMIER. It drove better than it looked like it would IMO. Haven't driven the 3 yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Lunarx
I drove a Bolt. The screen up front is almost at a 45 degree angle, which at the time of my drive (bright sunny morning) caused the top 1/3 to be completely white from glare. Putting it in reserve I could only see the asphalt blow/behind me (bottom 2/3 of the screen) and nothing up higher behind me, making it useless.

When driving, the seats were extremely uncomfortable, much too narrow (and I'm not even a big guy). It accelerates better than my Leaf, but due to torque steer (I think), it pulled to the right every time you really pushed the accelerator. Because of this, it's useless to have a 0-60 of 6.5 seconds. It didn't feel safe to push it that hard.

CarPlay is nice, as are some of the other interface (feels like Google's material design influence), but that screen needs a sunshade over it or something to prevent glare. Why did they angle it like that? Overall, it felt like a Chevy, which is why I could never justify the $38-44k price tag!

A couple weeks ago I rode in a Bolt on a 150 mile round trip (back seat there, front seat on the way back). The back seat was not comfortable at all! I am glad the other guy offered to ride in the back on the way home. The front seat wasn't much better. Maybe it's ok that this car can't be used for a long trip, because who would want to?!

Oh, the 150 mile round trip was to go drive You You Xue's Model 3. The difference was night and day.

Comfortable in front and back. Even seated in the middle between two bigger guys for part of my ride wasn't awful, though much further than a trip to the store would get old. One guy driving decided to really push the car to its limits, going 75+ mph on a curvy two lane road. Think the Bolt could handle that? It could probably barely handle 55 on that road (35 mph speed limit).

There is no comparison to the UI or the quality of the screen. Not even worth talking about.

I read that GM loses $9,000 on every Bolt sold, and it is mostly a compliance car to allow for other, more profitable, ICE cars to be sold.

Tesla has priced their Model 3 to provide significant profits to the long term success of the company, and yet still provides a superior car.

Also hard to not consider the value of the extensive SuperCharger network to allow for long distance travel.

• Helpful
Reactions: Watts 4 Me and IdaX
I have two M3's on reservation. I too am considering the Bolt, primarily because the tax incentives will run out or be diminished before I get my first one.
My primary feature criteria for cross shopping between the two is the handling of the car, I had a manual 350Z for 10 years before family needs took over and we got a minivan, which the wife drives and I drive her old Camry. Camry is on the chopping block for the M3 or maybe the bolt.

I read in the above post that the M3 is supposed to handle like a Cayman, is there any reference to that that I can get my hands on?

I read that GM loses $9,000 on every Bolt sold, and it is mostly a compliance car to allow for other, more profitable, ICE cars to be sold.

Tesla has priced their Model 3 to provide significant profits to the long term success of the company, and yet still provides a superior car.

Also hard to not consider the value of the extensive SuperCharger network to allow for long distance travel.

I read this too but I don't believe it and you won't either once you drive one. It does not feel like a 50k car for sure, it does not even have power seats or auto roll down windows. It is a compliance care, sure, but I don't think they are losing any money on it.

Handling - TM3. Did a test drive in a Bolt and the suspension makes everything seem to appear less smooth. Straight line speed is fine but bumps and curves seem to be accentuated.
Acceleration - TM3. I mean, c'mon now.
Comfort. - TM3. While the Bolt provided a little more headroom, the spacious interior of the 3 makes the difference here.
UI - Bolt. This was probably the only toss up for me but I liked the traditional feel mixed with the new tech. Not disregarding the convenience of the one screen but also didn't want to sound entirely biased.

So the Bolt got a pity vote? That's just sad.
bolt has several positive aspects over the model 3.

Lower maintenance costs.
Android Auto.
Cheaper than model 3.
I'm going to guess more headroom too but I could be wrong.
It can provide your phone with a wifi connection.
You can buy one now!
Easier to get to the dealer for any issues.
Better camera system for parking. (I think?)
Better rear visibility because of the cool mirror that is also a screen on the premier.
The Software UI was kinda crappy however there are physical buttons for many things and a traditional speedometer etc in addition to the screen so that's a plus for me since I'm not a fan of using a touchscreen while driving.
Many people will still get a 10k tax credit on the bolt long after it's gone for the M3.
Bolt has a bigger battery and range, than a cost comparable model 3.
Option to Lease.

Maybe easier to trade in your car?
Not sure how the sound systems compare?

But I mean I decided to wait it out for the M3 :) but I was going to buy a bolt at one point if the tax credit went away.