Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, how does the Model 3 drive vs the Bolt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Bolt could successfully sell in reasonably high numbers at $29,995 before tax credits. It’s a totally decent car and with an interior upgrade could be an interesting alternative to something like a Focus ST or GTI for many buyers. It’s just bonkers overpriced.

The Model 3 is going after the 3-Series and A4 customers. Totally different market. I expect its handling and feature set to be contrasted against those cars when the dust settles, not the Bolt.

The Bolt will end up in the bargain bin with the Leaf, Ioniq, and i3 (real transaction prices).
exactly... I think the Model 3 ended up being Tesla's best car, and other than the polarizing minimal interior competes well with those cars, EV or not. The Bolt on the other hand will compete with a Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris, both of which are $20k cars. The Fit base price is a mere $16k! GM better have a plan for when their tax credit gets cut in half later this year.

I've driven the Bolt but not the 3. The Bolt is a dog and no fun to drive. The Bolt has superior build quality internally vs. my Model S internally, however.
I’ve driven a Bolt for 12 months and 24,000 miles including multiple ~1000 mile road trips between SF and LA, a trip from SF to central Utah, and a trip to central Oregon.

I’ve driven a Model 3 for about 2 hours and near 100 miles in a variety of road conditions.

You say “Bolt is a dog and no fun to drive” but I greatly enjoy driving my Bolt. With 0-60 mph of ~6.5 seconds and winning track times at Laguna Seca raceway it’s obviously not “a dog”.

The long range version of the TM3 has better acceleration and excellent drivability on curvy mountain roads. Hairpin twisty turns are almost magical in the TM3. It’s helped by its grippier MXM4 tires whereas the Bolt comes with Energy Saver A/S tires tuned entirely for low rolling resistance.

Both cars are tuned for sportier firm rides although the Bolt tends to buck a little on some roads with choppy pavement.

A couple weeks ago I rode in a Bolt on a 150 mile round trip (back seat there, front seat on the way back). The back seat was not comfortable at all! I am glad the other guy offered to ride in the back on the way home. The front seat wasn't much better. Maybe it's ok that this car can't be used for a long trip, because who would want to?!
Obviously the Bolt can be used for long trips if charging is available as it is in many parts of California and other coastal areas.

I find the front seats firm but okay overall. They are a bit on the narrow side with substantial bolstering so they tend to hug you in place. In contrast, the rear seats are more bench-like and flat. For context, I have a very typical overweight American body shape and size. I have not been in the backseat of the Bolt on long drives but my passengers have and I didn’t hear any complaints.

I read that GM loses $9,000 on every Bolt sold, and it is mostly a compliance car to allow for other, more profitable, ICE cars to be sold.
GM is bringing out 2 more BEV models based on the Bolt platform in the next 2 years and then additional models based on a new BEV platform beginning after 2020.

These “$9,000 loss” claims should be put into context but the initial reports of these types of numbers often seem to arrive in poorly written articles that do not characterize under what assumption the number was calculated.

It’s unlikely that GM is incrementally losing another $9,000 every time they build and sell another car. More likely, that number includes the total Bolt program R&D costs spread across some unstated but assumed number of car sales. How many car sales? How many years of sales? Does it include the planned sales volume of the 2 additional near-term models based on the Bolt platform (which thus spread the cost of the original R&D)? Since we don’t know the context for this loss number it’s a partially bogus number.

Better camera on the Bolt? maybe... but screen angled and matte finish that creates a glare in certain lighting that makes the rear view camera useless
Nonsense. I’ve had almost no glare issues with the screen and thus the rear view camera is not “useless” at all. A few owners have complained about glare issues generally from interior color scheme choices that include a lighter-colored dash. My car has the darker dash.

Have you used that rear view mirror camera? It doesn’t even fill up the whole mirror, which is already a small mirror. I didn’t measure but I’d guess the measurable screen is 5” x 1.5”. I couldn’t use it while I drove it because it was so different from an actual reflection.
When it is in camera mode, the rear view mirror/display loses a slight amount of its verticle screen dimension but it’s no big deal.

It is not an unusually small physical mirror. Although I didn’t measure it, the rear view mirror in the TM3 looked smaller than the one in the Bolt.

The experience of using it in camera mode is different due to the change in focal length but people seem to get used to it after a few weeks of use. I always use mine in camera mode during daylight hours because it gives an unobstructed view and it shows a wider angle of view. I flip it to be a regular auto-dimming mirror at night because the camera cannot compete with human vision on dynamic contrast for night vision.

The Regen braking on Teslas are specifically limited on the brake pedal to give better brake feel, which is why the Bolt is dinged for "spongy brake feel." It's a design choice.
The Bolt has excellent one pedal regen along with an occasional assist from the regen paddle on the left side of the steering wheel when I need a little extra regen braking. I almost never use the vestigial brake pedal.

The TM3 has regen similar to a Model S. The regen is smoothly modulated but fades to a glide once you get down to 3-4 mph so you essentially always need to use the brake pedal when coming to a full stop. That’s so old-fashioned....

I've also driven $20k cars. In fact, I owned one for six years, a Honda Fit, which is pretty much the exact same car as a Bolt only uses gasoline. Yeah, it's not as quick, but otherwise pretty much the same car (more comfortable though)...

The Fit is a good car. But why don't we do apples to apples. We can with the Fit EV. Granted nobody wanted them, even in California, but Honda makes great cars. So let's get out the ruler:

Fit EV = MSRP $37,415
0-60mph in 8.7s (about 1/3 less acceleration than Bolt)
It's a bit smaller inside than the Bolt, with a lower seating position,
A tad under Combined MPGe of the Bolt.
It's range is 1/3 that of the Bolt, however, it's only 340lb lighter.
No DCFC option.

Going by your logic, Fit EVs should have less than zero monthly payment. It's 1/2 the EV the Bolt is, so $10,000, and in California you get $10,450 in total non-mfr rebates.

Going by your logic, Fit EVs should have less than zero monthly payment. It's 1/2 the EV the Bolt is, so $10,000, and in California you get $10,450 in total non-mfr rebates.

The Fit EV effectively *did* have a negative monthly payment. It had a highly subvented lease rate which included all maintenance and car insurance and qualified for state perks that made it, very nearly, a free car. They were not available to purchase, only lease, and Honda built the exact number required to comply with the law.

This is not a good barometer for how much customers are willing to pay for electric economy hatchbacks.

A Bolt and Model 3 are hanging out. Th Bolt then asks the Model 3 "Why you park so bad?!?"
FB_IMG_1515790246744.jpg

The Fit EV effectively *did* have a negative monthly payment. It had a highly subvented lease rate which included all maintenance and car insurance and qualified for state perks that made it, very nearly, a free car. They were not available to purchase, only lease, and Honda built the exact number required to comply with the law.

This is not a good barometer for how much customers are willing to pay for electric economy hatchbacks.

But it is the barometer used to define the Bolt's value in McHoffas post (and many other folk's posts ever since the Bolt was first mentioned in the press). In fact many said the Bolt was smaller than the Fit (Fit is bigger than an Audi A4) when the Bolt is actually larger than the Fit.

They ignore any advantages a 200HP EV might have over a low powered ICE car, and go purely on price and imagined size.

The Fit CVT stripped is $17,880 and gets 36 mpg combined. It requires warm-up, oil changes, delayed throttle response, derated HP at high altitude or hot days, requires smog checks, doesn't automatically refuel, is lethargic, can't go solo in HOV lane, has a buzzy engine, more interior noise, higher CG, and does not qualify for free fuel. But this huge difference in technology appears to be worth a whopping $2,120 to them.

I see it as ICE hypocrisy. An EV driveline is premium feature. It works far better, and it costs far more.

Last edited:
But it is the barometer used to define the Bolt's value in McHoffas post (and many other folk's posts ever since the Bolt was first mentioned in the press). In fact many said the Bolt was smaller than the Fit (Fit is bigger than an Audi A4) when the Bolt is actually larger than the Fit.

They ignore any advantages a 200HP EV might have over a low powered ICE car, and go purely on price and imagined size.

The Fit CVT stripped is $17,880 and gets 36 mpg combined. It requires warm-up, oil changes, delayed throttle response, derated HP at high altitude or hot days, requires smog checks, doesn't automatically refuel, is lethargic, can't go solo in HOV lane, has a buzzy engine, more interior noise, higher CG, and does not qualify for free fuel. But appears to be worth a whopping $2,120 worth of technology.

I fundamentally agree with you and feel that the Bolt’s appropriate price would be just shy of thirty grand.

Put a $40,000 Bolt, 328i, Model 3, and Audi A4 in a room with a bunch of typical car shoppers and the Bolt is the one which is going to look painfully out of place. It just doesn’t compete in that market and needs to be priced where it does (Golf GTI, etc).

Reactions: EinSV and scottf200
I fundamentally agree with you and feel that the Bolt’s appropriate price would be just shy of thirty grand.

Put a $40,000 Bolt, 328i, Model 3, and Audi A4 in a room with a bunch of typical car shoppers and the Bolt is the one which is going to look painfully out of place. It just doesn’t compete in that market and needs to be priced where it does (Golf GTI, etc).

Typical ICE shopper that is. Not a fan of the BMW 3 series, and the A4 is a bad joke.
Obviously I'd have driven a Model 3LR to work today if it were an option, but for me, it's not. I'm not a current Tesla owner or employee, just like the 'typical' reservationist.

So this EV Shopper would select the Bolt today if those were the 3 cars in the room.

For a 2017 Bolt today with DCFC, if I write a check for $36,643.62 (tax and license), I can drive it home in under 2hr. It qualifies me for $10,450 in rebates, or $26,193.62.

However, if I were going to that, I would have picked up one in the summer, and it would have been less.

So far, I'm content with what we have and will continue to wait in the queue for the 3LR. But if something blows up, I would pick up the Bolt the next day. There are no other EV options that would fit our needs at this time.

Obviously the Bolt can be used for long trips if charging is available
it CAN be used, but who would want to? I've already calculated the increase in trip time for our twice a year road trips, using the short range and long range Model 3 vs our ICE car, and I would not settle for the short range. I also calculated the Bolt, which assumes I would actually find working charger that aren't too far off the beaten path, and the increase was so substantial over even the short range Model 3.

I'm not completely hating the Bolt, but without supercharging, and considering it's a typical Chevy econobox car, it's worth about $10k less than GM priced it at (before any rebates). There is no way I'd consider buying it unless the after federal tax credit price was less than $25k (for the loaded one). It could only be our second car. If I could get it for $25k or less, I'd probably do just that and replace our Leaf with it, though that new Leaf looks nicer and probably more comfortable.

After actually inspecting and driving the Model 3, I think it's worth every penny and I'd buy it even without the tax rebate (and thought I was going to have to before the tax law passed).

Nonsense. I’ve had almost no glare issues with the screen and thus the rear view camera is not “useless” at all. A few owners have complained about glare issues generally from interior color scheme choices that include a lighter-colored dash. My car has the darker dash.

I wish I would have taken a picture of the glare I'm talking about... it was probably the perfect set of conditions that caused it, but it was SO bad

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
I don’t hate it. It’s just WAY overpriced for what it is. That’s why it’s selling barely more than a $100,000 car.

If they had just made an EV version of the Volt and priced it at $30k, they’d have a winner. You just can’t sell a hatchback with hard plastic Chevy interior for more than $25k.

If a 200HP Bolt is worth $25k, a Leaf is worth what? $10k new? I wouldn't spend that much on a Nissan, but some people might.

2 Nissans was my limit of endurance. We Strive For Planned Obsolesce is the Mission Statement at Nissan.

I don’t hate it. It’s just WAY overpriced for what it is. That’s why it’s selling barely more than a $100,000 car.

If they had just made an EV version of the Volt and priced it at $30k, they’d have a winner. You just can’t sell a hatchback with hard plastic Chevy interior for more than $25k.

Tell me another EV that you can buy today that will go over 238 miles on a charge. And will cost you less than $40K? You can’t because it doesn’t exist.

The problem isn’t the car. How can you people not understand that? The problem isn’t the price either. The problem is Tesla vs Chevrolet. Chevy doesn’t know how to sell EVs and dealerships would much rather you buy a ICE anyways.

The Chevy Bolt is the BEST MASS MARKET EV that you can walk in and buy today. In 18 months that may be different. But seriously do any of us Bolt owners expect the Tesla owners or ICE owners to agree? Not happening.

And I challenge any person in the world that has a Honda Fit to come sit in my car and drive it around for an hour and tell me why it really is worth double the price.

It never ceases to amaze me how many times its cited "Look how CHEAP a Bolt is!" without citing what happens when the other shoe drops.

When GM is struggling to give you a Bolt, you will also have the same struggle if you want to get rid of it.

I passed on a 6k off a Bolt deal last year because I can think 6 months in the future and wonder wtf I'm gonna do with this thing after my Model 3 reservation comes up?

I buy a CPO S before a Bolt. SR Model 3 vs Bolt? Not even sure why there is even a debate really.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW