Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So How Much Does It Cost? (my most hated question)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
I know some don't feel uncomfortable with using a dollar figure upon being asked that, but I also know that at least some others feel as awkward as I do when this comes up.

I've taken to saying "About the same as a Mercedes S-class, Audi A-class, or a comparable BMW". But I know that's not only a goofy answer but quite misleading, and wouldn't work with someone who knows more about Mercs, Audis or Bimmers than I do, which is just about everyone (to say the least, which S-Class, A- or 5/7 series?).

So a little help here, please:

I'd like to continue that answer, but with which of those marques is, say, my P85 most comparable in price? And most comparable in class?

Thanks!

That's what I do, I typically say $70k-140k depending on options...then if they continue with a comment of that being a lofty price for a car, or some notion that cars shouldn't be that expensive, etc. I can continue on that the $30k car that they're driving, they pay $4k a year for gas, plus $2k a year for maintenance = $6k x 5 years is another $30k, so there's $60k right there, in a nice way of course. To which they usually reply, "oh that makes sense" It's all about how far you are willing to go to prove the point, if they still aren't convinced you can always end the convo by saying, "maybe it's not for you" and walk away politely of course.

I'm already getting slack for this and I don't even own the car.

I just say "It's not a cheap car but you have to factor in gas saving, tax credits, maintenance, etc.” ... I’m also going with a middle of the road option, so I add “some people thing they are all over $100k but options can literally double the price of the car” ...basically I have been dancing around the question and I don’t think anyone is going to grill me to get more information.

Right. I know there are other ways to provide answers, but I'm asking specifically how to avoid dollar reponses. In other words, my preferred sub-answer avoids that by saying in effect "Well, if you know how much a Mercedes WWWWWWW, Audi XXXXXXXX, BMW YYYYYY, or Lexus ZZZZZ costs, well then, there you go".

My line is similar to MassX1317. I say "Well, if you go all out it's pretty crazy expensive. Though, if you tally up the tax credits and 15-20k gas savings over 100,000+ miles then while it's still expensive, it's not quite in the crazy range anymore. Especially if you're already in the luxury car market."

I can note that I never really was in the luxury car market and I've got a story to tell behind my purchase, but that's specific to me.

Less than a Ferrari. More than a Prius. Better than both in every metric that matters to me.

For many Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. represented an childhood aspiration to wealth that wasn't seen as achievable for most. The attraction wasn't practical, it was the thrill and enjoyment of such a vehicle.

For many the Prius represents one of the first steps that could be made toward extreme practicality / responsibility on the environmental part of the spectrum. It also captures the "I just can't go fully electric yet because ..." buyer.

Comparing to both expresses that the compromises of the past are obsolete, and you can have it all. Not everyone will agree, but it's a good way to frame the discussion, IMO.

For some, the follow-up though bubbles will include "that's a wide range, so where..." but many won't ask the follow-up question. For those that do, they have a bracket to think within immediately rather than assume we're talking about supercar pricing territory.

Last edited:
I know some don't feel uncomfortable with using a dollar figure upon being asked that, but I also know that at least some others feel as awkward as I do when this comes up.

I've taken to saying "About the same as a Mercedes S-class, Audi A-class, or a comparable BMW". But I know that's not only a goofy answer but quite misleading, and wouldn't work with someone who knows more about Mercs, Audis or Bimmers than I do, which is just about everyone (to say the least, which S-Class, A- or 5/7 series?).

So a little help here, please:

I'd like to continue that answer, but with which of those marques is, say, my P85 most comparable in price? And most comparable in class?

Thanks!

Price/performance-wise, the car compares reasonably to the high-spec variants of the models you listed. So, I guess that would be Merc E63/S63 AMG, Audi S7/S8, BMW M5/M6, etc.

Note that the base price of these models may seem a bit lower, but becomes much closer to the Model S when you actually option them up in a similar way (due to the restricting package/configuration limitations of these brands, spec'ing them identically to Model S is nearly impossible). Sometimes you end up with a more loaded car for the price, sometimes a less loaded one. Pricing was also much more in Tesla's favor before the price increases of last year (back then it was almost a bargain for what you got).

Meh. I got over myself and say they start around $70k. That is about the most fair answer I could come up with. I could care less what strangers think of me. If I say more than that my next comment is the $7.5k Federal, and $5k state rebates. Which helps a bunch.

My coworkers, and others I see more than once in my life. I work on them a little more. I say that MY (85kWh, with lots of options) is about the same cost as a $40-50k car over 5 years. And actually considering how much I am driving it will probably be more like a $35-40k car after 5 years. Surprisingly most of them get it after talking 2-3 times.

Considering I am planning on keeping this car until my kids can drive (and I don't have kids yet). It will be the same cost as buying a Toyota Camry, if it actually makes it that long.

We took our battery Badging off just because of this question. I don't mind when a true tesla enthusiast comes up and asks this question. The people that are die hard tesla people and know everything about teslas and come up and want to take a look in person etc. Then I don't mind telling them what the car is what the features are and how much it cost. It's the people that are I would consider acquaintances that drives me nuts and I find it quite rude IMO. In come the reason for the stealth badging. So now when one if them ask I say "well it's the most amazing car I have ever owned or driven and it's the only car I've driven that I'm sad when I reach my destination. If you want more information on the car check out teslamotors.com" then I change the subject or start to tell them something else about the car. They usually get the point.

Price/performance-wise, the car compares reasonably to the high-spec variants of the models you listed. So, I guess that would be Merc E63/S63 AMG, Audi S7/S8, BMW M5/M6, etc.

Note that the base price of these models may seem a bit lower, but becomes much closer to the Model S when you actually option them up in a similar way (due to the restricting package/configuration limitations of these brands, spec'ing them identically to Model S is nearly impossible). Sometimes you end up with a more loaded car for the price, sometimes a less loaded one. Pricing was also much more in Tesla's favor before the price increases of last year (back then it was almost a bargain for what you got).

Base price of the s63 AMG is just under 140K.

I think BMW M5 is the closest competitor in terms of price/performance

I just tell the truth. Which I think is that it's about the same as a BMW 7 series. If they want to know what mine actually costs I tell them. My feeling is that people who ask price just actually WANT to know how much it costs. The folks that are judgmental already have their preconceived notions. Rich tree hugger, Yuppie show off, etc... take your pick. If they're prejudging they already have their opinion (even though they don't know ANYTHING about me) so I just tell them the exact dollar amount I paid. Someone that really wants to know might ask further questions and then I can get into the range of options, Model X, and the ultimate goal of Gen 3. Don't sweat it, just tell them.

This question doesn't bother me. Most people who ask are trying to judge whether it's in their league because they think it is flashy. I just say less than half a Lamborghini, but it's faster. If they press, I'll say starts at 70. Most people react with a shrug that says, "love it but outta my league".

I just tell the truth. Which I think is that it's about the same as a BMW 7 series. If they want to know what mine actually costs I tell them. My feeling is that people who ask price just actually WANT to know how much it costs. The folks that are judgmental already have their preconceived notions. Rich tree hugger, Yuppie show off, etc... take your pick. If they're prejudging they already have their opinion (even though they don't know ANYTHING about me) so I just tell them the exact dollar amount I paid. Someone that really wants to know might ask further questions and then I can get into the range of options, Model X, and the ultimate goal of Gen 3. Don't sweat it, just tell them.

I completely agree with this. I'm not going to lie or gloss over how much money I paid for my car just to make people feel better, especially if they're asking. What I do with my hard-earned money is entirely at my own discretion.