Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I guess they have enough beta testers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess what I'm saying is that you're going to ruin the enjoyment of your car trying to maintain a certain safety score, and then finally get FSD beta, and within a few days come to decide that the whole rigmarole wasn't worth it and barely, if ever, actually use FSD beta. Kind of like the experience with Summon. It sounded like so great a thing, and was a great party gimmick that people used a few times to show off to their friends, and then finally realized that it was practically useless in real world examples.

Of course your mileage may vary--maybe you will think that FSD beta is really cool and useful to you, but honestly, based on what I've experienced, it really wouldn't be worth what sounds like a frustrating experience in trying to comply with the Tesla safety rules. You will likely regret the months you've spent trying to drive "safely".
I’ve been on Beta FSD for many months and never experienced Any of the claims you keep pitching. In fact I use it daily from 10 mile trips to thousand mile trips and none are as you keep describing. Seems like many “read” of a bad experience and from that point make it their mission to share it as All and there’s? i personally have thoroughly enjoyed using the FSD feature and look forward to each refinement update.

Reactions: nvx1977
I’ve been on Beta FSD for many months and never experienced Any of the claims you keep pitching. In fact I use it daily from 10 mile trips to thousand mile trips and none are as you keep describing. Seems like many “read” of a bad experience and from that point make it their mission to share it as All and there’s? i personally have thoroughly enjoyed using the FSD feature and look forward to each refinement update.
Pretty positive this is how I’ll feel. I drive 150 miles a day on simple freeways and intersections in the Bay Area. I welcome the extra involvement and fun of the experience. Watched a video yesterday of someone driving 3.5 hours with zero disengagement’s. Amazing.

Reactions: nvx1977

Pretty positive this is how I’ll feel. I drive 150 miles a day on simple freeways and intersections in the Bay Area. I welcome the extra involvement and fun of the experience. Watched a video yesterday of someone driving 3.5 hours with zero disengagement’s. Amazing.

What I've seen since 10.2 is that experiences with FSD vary WIDELY. I mean on any version, the experience varies widely just for myself, depending on weather, time of day, etc. And then there are things that shouldn't vary, like AP performance on highways. I very very rarely have any sort of phantom braking, while many people are declaring it unusable because of AEB events. We can't assume our cars are all equal it seems. HW variations might be responsible for some of the disparate experiences.

What I've seen since 10.2 is that experiences with FSD vary WIDELY. I mean on any version, the experience varies widely just for myself, depending on weather, time of day, etc. And then there are things that shouldn't vary, like AP performance on highways. I very very rarely have any sort of phantom braking, while many people are declaring it unusable because of AEB events. We can't assume our cars are all equal it seems. HW variations might be responsible for some of the disparate experiences.
I tend to agree and chalk it up to managed expectations. Some like to “read” about a questionable event and it quickly becomes the “new norm” of their forum pitch. Example, phantom braking. Yes there are times the car will see something questionable and Decelerate 1-3 MPH then continue. That is a far cry from the way it’s to often presented in the forums as if it’s doing a full wheel lock up death stop. Not the case. Yes there is still continuing refinement but the way some pitch the system you would think it’s deathrace 2022. Lol. Forums can be a questionable means at times to gather reasonable data. Often fixed with agenda or a need to present like they found a shocking revelation. Similar to when I bought the car, reading the forums I questioned if I made a huge mistake? After owning it, I realized reading all posts as fact or of value was the Big mistake! For FSD I read every post with the theory less then Half have actually used it or made up their mind long ago to not give it a chance. I personally have been very impressed with the continuous improvements and direction it’s heading.

I personally have been very impressed with the continuous improvements and direction it’s heading.
On this point you and I are in lock step agreement.

Phantom braking (whimsical hesitations?) are absolutely a thing. They actually don't really bother me as my normal driving in any type of cruise control mode is to hover over the right pedal so I've never complained.

I had one on 95 last week where it slowed 27 MPH from set for reasons beyond me. Normally I immediately override but nobody was behind me so I decided to let it ride. It was abrupt in that I wasn't expecting it but only to the point of full Regen braking.

I really find the whole thing curious and am interested in seeing how Tesla, or any other manufacturer, continues to improve.

That said, when others complain of random braking, I believe them 100% and based on different driving habits and physical limitations (we're all unique people after all) I understand how it can affect individuals differently.

My anecdote there is just a single incident, and on my weekly 250+ mile drives I almost always override a braking event, though I'm usually not in a position to let it ride and see how significant each event might be. It just isn't something that detracts from my experience, I think in the same way you described.

That said, when others complain of random braking, I believe them 100% and based on different driving habits and physical limitations (we're all unique people after all) I understand how it can affect individuals differently.

Yup, everyone has their own threshold. I have a teenage driver in my household, and I occasionally gather enough courage to ride with him. Random braking doesn't phase me at all (LOL).