Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I'm going to a local gathering of car freaks tomorrow....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And lots of folks will show up and pop their hoods. Conversations will ensue about cubic inches, horsepower and transmission ratios.

I'm taking Tessie. I'll pop the hood, too, not that there will be a whole lot to look at. Anybody got an idea of what to put in the frunk? Back issues of car magazines, perhaps? A cooler full of cold soft drinks?

Maybe I'll offer rides in Ludicrous mode in lieu of go-fast parts to look at.

Reactions: Big Earl
So how did it go?
The looks I got I read as: What in the world are you doing here? LOL -- I had a nice talk with the club's president. Popped the hood. A few folks looked inside. I mean, everyone else's hood was up, why not mine too? I'm sure most had no idea whether this was a badazz Tesla or some generic Model S. In terms of mechanical go-fast goodies, there's just nothing to look at. I chatted with a few folks, looked at a lot of cars, had lunch. The event ended at 1pm and I headed home to watch a bunch of football games. :)

Yes, we went to a small cars and coffee a while back and only a handful of car owners had shown up at that point. Got a very cold reception when we pulled up in our MS and said hi and said something like nice Vette (forgot what the other cars were now). Couldn't even get a hi back. Really sad people are like that.

Yes, we went to a small cars and coffee a while back and only a handful of car owners had shown up at that point. Got a very cold reception when we pulled up in our MS and said hi and said something like nice Vette (forgot what the other cars were now). Couldn't even get a hi back. Really sad people are like that.
Next time, why not tape a message to the side windows offering a ride to anyone who asks? Could be it'll be ignored, or could be a nice little ice breaker. Good luck.

I've taken my 2010 Roadster to a few local classic car shows. I've never seen another electric car at any of them. (Somebody did bring an Amphicar, though!)

My general experience is that most of the "car guys" are intensely apathetic toward the Roadster. I mean, not outright hostile (or if any of them are, they've been polite enough to keep those feelings out of my earshot), but just utterly un-interested. They don't look it over, they don't ask about it. It's like it doesn't compute to them. They can't mentally process it and don't feel any desire to try.

When it comes to random people and families walking into the show just to look around and satisfy their curiosity, though, some of them take much greater interest. Some of them question me about it, some are just delighted to see it, some want their pictures taken with it.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I've taken my 2010 Roadster to a few local classic car shows. I've never seen another electric car at any of them. (Somebody did bring an Amphicar, though!)

My general experience is that most of the "car guys" are intensely apathetic toward the Roadster. I mean, not outright hostile (or if any of them are, they've been polite enough to keep those feelings out of my earshot), but just utterly un-interested. They don't look it over, they don't ask about it. It's like it doesn't compute to them.

When it comes to random people and families walking into the show just to look around and satisfy their curiosity, though, some of them take much greater interest. Some of them question me about it, some are just delighted to see it, some want their pictures taken with it.
It takes a leap of imagination or logic. They're dedicated to a different sort of propulsion. They don't understand EVs and they don't find anything appealing about them. Until you clean their clocks in a drag race, that is. Then suddenly there's some interest. And respect.

I think it’s that they have chosen to ignore you. And they just want you to go away as well as EVs that will eventually bring about the end of ICE as we know it.

Some may find respect for the capabilities of an electric motor but doubt most will. I feel it might be kin to when as a kid I would go meet my dad with my mom at his work at a GM plant and no one dared bringing a Japanese, more efficient car there. Dad would tell me sometimes those cars were damaged, egged, got flat tires, what have you. Kind of see Coal Rollers fitting into that category. ICE guys have a lot invested in their cars, hobby or not, and if parts dry up etc it’s a problem and the value of them may go down as well. I know for many it’s a labor of love working on them and restoring them. Always hard to see something you love struggle to stay around.

Also has to be a tough bit of reality for them to hear some major manufacturer say they are dropping internal combustion engines totally.

I think it’s that they have chosen to ignore you. And they just want you to go away as well as EVs that will eventually bring about the end of ICE as we know it.

Some may find respect for the capabilities of an electric motor but doubt most will. I feel it might be kin to when as a kid I would go meet my dad with my mom at his work at a GM plant and no one dared bringing a Japanese, more efficient car there. Dad would tell me sometimes those cars were damaged, egged, got flat tires, what have you. Kind of see Coal Rollers fitting into that category. ICE guys have a lot invested in their cars, hobby or not, and if parts dry up etc it’s a problem and the value of them may go down as well. I know for many it’s a labor of love working on them and restoring them. Always hard to see something you love struggle to stay around.
Excellent point!