Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So many flats....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tire pressure does impact susceptibility but not in the way many imagine. Higher pressure is more puncture resistant. Before you say "whoa, that can't be right", hear me out.

If you run over a board with a screw or nail sticking straight up, it's probably going to puncture the tire regardless of your pressure. But there are many more loose screws and nails on the road than ones sticking up through boards. And I avoid running over ANY board, no matter how harmless looking, because you never know if it will have a staple, nail or screw sticking up through it. My eyes are simply not up to the task of seeing nails at speeds above 35 mph or so.

The most common kind of punctures I've seen are slow leaks with the screw or nail stuck in the tread. This implies it probably wasn't in a board, it was laying loose on the road. You might wonder how it gets stuck in the tire if it's laying flat on the road? Sometimes the front tire (or the car in front) hits it first and throws it up. Then, your car's tire hits it at just the right angle to capture it between the tread and the road such that it punctures the tire. A soft tire is much more susceptible to this because a well inflated tire is more likely to cause it to "skid" on the road surface back into a harmless flat position. A low inflation pressure tire is also more likely to kick up the threat from a harmless position to a threatening position.

It's also possible for the tire that is punctured to be the one that levers the screw or nail up from parallel with the road surface when a tread block or groove hits the head of the screw or nail just right and there is a void in the tread pattern that allows the point to rotate up into the tire where it can pierce it. This kind of flat is also more likely with low inflation pressures. Hard tires tend to skid the thread away, not capture it.

So, low inflation pressures create more flat tires due to pinched sidewalls from potholes and road debris as well as puncture flats. Low pressures also cause the rubber to run warmer where it is also more susceptible to flats via all three methods (pinched sidewalls, punctures and blow-outs.).

The bottom line, don't set your tire pressure on the low end of acceptable and don't neglect them so long they get low on their own.

Remember, when the weather cools, it is necessary to add air to your tires to avoid all ktypes of flats. I maintain the tire pressures on both our Model 3's pretty religiously and after three years with both cars and multiple sets of tires we have had zero flats in 3 years and over 50K miles. Pressure must be set cold, before the car is driven even 1 mile.
Agreed, but the pothole and wheel damage caused by lower pressure is much more aggravating (and expensive) than the occasional puncture. In the 2013 S with the OE Goodyears, I had so many flats I got rid of the tires at 14K miles. The sets Michelin tires that replaced them had maybe two flats during the next 120K miles (same commute, same residence). I always keep plenty of air in the tires and check them the morning after any service has been performed to be sure no one messed with the pressures.

Agreed, but the pothole and wheel damage caused by lower pressure is much more aggravating (and expensive) than the occasional puncture.

Since low pressure is the cause of all kinds of tire woes, it doesn't matter which is more aggravating - the fix is the same. More pressure than the recommended (or, at a bare minimum, no less than the recommended cold PSI). I know of exactly zero use cases in which it makes sense to run even one PSI less than the manufacturer's minimum recommended pressure.

I'm convinced the reason some people have so many problems is largely because some people don't really believe that "cold" means "cold" and they prefer to adjust pressures based upon what the TPMS says while they are driving. They are concerned when they see numbers like 48 PSI displayed on the center screen, even though that's a normal pressure. They think a tire reading that high is more likely to "pop" because it has so much pressure. Nothing could be further from the actual truth.

For those who have a hard time getting this, I'll be crystal clear:

It's NORMAL for the TPMS to read well above the cold PSI. Because it's generally reading hot PSI. Just remember, tire pressures are ALWAYS referring to the pressure measured cold. The maximum pressure of many tires listed on the sidewall is 50 psi. This is a cold PSI reading which means the tire is not over the maximum safe pressure even it reads as high as 55 PSI after some driving. To be clear, 55 psi hot is generally too high for maximum cornering, braking and even tread wear, my point is it is not over the rated maximum pressure of the tire and is not at increased risk of blowout. If anything, it's at reduced risk of blowout because tires run cooler at higher pressures.

So don't shy away from pressures on the high side because you think it over-stresses the tire, it's actually the other way around, lower pressures stress the tire more. In almost every use case there are good reasons to not run tires at the maximum cold psi but fear of "popping" is not one of them.

However, there are often good reasons to run the tire above the manufacturers recommended cold PSI. Often this number is a compromise based on ride smoothness over pavement imperfections and you will actually get higher performance from higher pressures. By "higher performance" I'm referring to better cornering in particular and sometimes shorter stopping distances.

There are other factors to consider, like evenness of treadwear from side to side. The ideal pressure for even treadwear side to side can be different for different drivers even when they have identical setups. I drive pretty hard on a twisty roads with a fairly abrasive road surface so I need a higher pressure to prevent the outsides of the tread from wearing faster than the middle. Gentle drivers on straight, smooth pavement will require a lower pressure than I run to avoid wearing the center tread prematurely. Higher pressures are particularly important for extended hard cornering because it helps control sidewall tuck-under and excessive heat buildup that can reduce traction and make tires feel "greasy".

Tire life can be considerably longer with higher pressures. This is mostly due to reduced heat buildup from a reduction in sidewall flexing. A cooler running tire lasts longer and maintains the properties of the rubber longer for good traction. Most of the benefit is in the first 2 to 4 PSI above manufacturer's recommended pressures. Tires that have experienced too much thermal cycling (repeated heating cycles) can harden and lose grip as they enter the last half of their life. This effect is most noticeable on cold, wet roads. I've seen people swear a particular tire has crappy traction when the only issue was they ran too low of air pressures for conditions which caused the rubber on the tread to age prematurely. Higher inflation pressures can prevent many issues as your tires age. You will know you have been running pressures too high if the tread depth wears shallower in the middle of the tire than near the shoulders.

If all this sounds too complicated and interdependent to make an informed decision, I have some good rules of thumb:

1) Always set the pressure manually using the same pressure gauge on every tire. The TPMS uses a separate measuring device on each tire and has variances from tire to tire of up to 1 psi. The TPMS is useful for noticing sudden changes that could indicate a puncture but that's about it.
2) Never run less than the manufacturer's recommended cold PSI unless you have a very special circumstance and know exactly what you are doing.
3) Don't set the pressure for the plushest ride you can achieve without completely ruining performance. In general, the pressure that will return the best driving experience and the best ownership experience is not the pressure that will return the smoothest ride. There is more to driving than a plush ride.
3) Never set the cold PSI above the sidewall maximum (although it's OK if the hot PSI rises above).
4) Try to maintain a relatively consistent PSI through the life of the tires. Making large changes to the PSI requires the tread to "wear in" to the new pressure before the effect can be fully appraised. Avoid large changes in PSI by maintaining the tires within a narrow band of pressures. This requires seasonal adjustments, even in most mild climates.
5) Buy a tread depth gauge online. They are very inexpensive and can be used at 25% wear, 50% wear, etc. to see if you have been running appropriate pressures. If your pressures have been all over the board you will learn nothing. That's why it's important to maintain PSI in a narrow range.
6) Generally, a good starting point is 2-4 psi above the manufacturers recommended pressure.

Since low pressure is the cause of all kinds of tire woes, it doesn't matter which is more aggravating - the fix is the same. More pressure than the recommended (or, at a bare minimum, no less than the recommended cold PSI). I know of exactly zero use cases in which it makes sense to run even one PSI less than the manufacturer's minimum recommended pressure.

I'm convinced the reason some people have so many problems is largely because some people don't really believe that "cold" means "cold" and they prefer to adjust pressures based upon what the TPMS says while they are driving. They are concerned when they see numbers like 48 PSI displayed on the center screen, even though that's a normal pressure. They think a tire reading that high is more likely to "pop" because it has so much pressure. Nothing could be further from the actual truth.

For those who have a hard time getting this, I'll be crystal clear:

It's NORMAL for the TPMS to read well above the cold PSI. Because it's generally reading hot PSI. Just remember, tire pressures are ALWAYS referring to the pressure measured cold. The maximum pressure of many tires listed on the sidewall is 50 psi. This is a cold PSI reading which means the tire is not over the maximum safe pressure even it reads as high as 55 PSI after some driving. To be clear, 55 psi hot is generally too high for maximum cornering, braking and even tread wear, my point is it is not over the rated maximum pressure of the tire and is not at increased risk of blowout. If anything, it's at reduced risk of blowout because tires run cooler at higher pressures.

So don't shy away from pressures on the high side because you think it over-stresses the tire, it's actually the other way around, lower pressures stress the tire more. In almost every use case there are good reasons to not run tires at the maximum cold psi but fear of "popping" is not one of them.

However, there are often good reasons to run the tire above the manufacturers recommended cold PSI. Often this number is a compromise based on ride smoothness over pavement imperfections and you will actually get higher performance from higher pressures. By "higher performance" I'm referring to better cornering in particular and sometimes shorter stopping distances.

There are other factors to consider, like evenness of treadwear from side to side. The ideal pressure for even treadwear side to side can be different for different drivers even when they have identical setups. I drive pretty hard on a twisty roads with a fairly abrasive road surface so I need a higher pressure to prevent the outsides of the tread from wearing faster than the middle. Gentle drivers on straight, smooth pavement will require a lower pressure than I run to avoid wearing the center tread prematurely. Higher pressures are particularly important for extended hard cornering because it helps control sidewall tuck-under and excessive heat buildup that can reduce traction and make tires feel "greasy".

Tire life can be considerably longer with higher pressures. This is mostly due to reduced heat buildup from a reduction in sidewall flexing. A cooler running tire lasts longer and maintains the properties of the rubber longer for good traction. Most of the benefit is in the first 2 to 4 PSI above manufacturer's recommended pressures. Tires that have experienced too much thermal cycling (repeated heating cycles) can harden and lose grip as they enter the last half of their life. This effect is most noticeable on cold, wet roads. I've seen people swear a particular tire has crappy traction when the only issue was they ran too low of air pressures for conditions which caused the rubber on the tread to age prematurely. Higher inflation pressures can prevent many issues as your tires age. You will know you have been running pressures too high if the tread depth wears shallower in the middle of the tire than near the shoulders.

If all this sounds too complicated and interdependent to make an informed decision, I have some good rules of thumb:

1) Always set the pressure manually using the same pressure gauge on every tire. The TPMS uses a separate measuring device on each tire and has variances from tire to tire of up to 1 psi. The TPMS is useful for noticing sudden changes that could indicate a puncture but that's about it.
2) Never run less than the manufacturer's recommended cold PSI unless you have a very special circumstance and know exactly what you are doing.
3) Don't set the pressure for the plushest ride you can achieve without completely ruining performance. In general, the pressure that will return the best driving experience and the best ownership experience is not the pressure that will return the smoothest ride. There is more to driving than a plush ride.
3) Never set the cold PSI above the sidewall maximum (although it's OK if the hot PSI rises above).
4) Try to maintain a relatively consistent PSI through the life of the tires. Making large changes to the PSI requires the tread to "wear in" to the new pressure before the effect can be fully appraised. Avoid large changes in PSI by maintaining the tires within a narrow band of pressures. This requires seasonal adjustments, even in most mild climates.
5) Buy a tread depth gauge online. They are very inexpensive and can be used at 25% wear, 50% wear, etc. to see if you have been running appropriate pressures. If your pressures have been all over the board you will learn nothing. That's why it's important to maintain PSI in a narrow range.
6) Generally, a good starting point is 2-4 psi above the manufacturers recommended pressure.
This is 100% correct. You might add, "Never adjust pressure in a hot tire unless there is a leak and you need to add some to make it to the tire shop". The definition of hot tire is a tire that has been driving more than one mile slowly. A cold tire is one that has sat overnight for at least eight hours. (Tire compounds heat up really fast).

You are literally betting your life on your tires, so tires are not the place to cheap out.

I know of no on-road instance where lower pressure helps. Off-road is different, but the speeds are (or at least should be) much lower. Also there is a special case when traveling from gravel roads to pavement multiple times a day. In this special case, the gravel can chew up the tread and perhaps be pounded into the belts. This almost never occurs with car tires, but can sometimes be seen on pickups with highway tread tires.

Most people drive backwards. They use the speed limit at the minimum speed and the vehicle placard pressure as the maximum pressure--it should be the opposite. The vehicle placard pressure is almost always the pressure you never want to go below.

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
All air is pretty much all nitrogen. Not sure paying for nitrogen does anything, especially since half the tire (the outside) sits in all that horrible air. I agree with vecii, it's where you live. When we had a house being built near us, everyone began having flats. Sloppy builders.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I agree with StealthP3D and think everything has been said.

Actually, I forgot something. This will not surprise any of you who know me!

This is important! If you read the above guidelines and say "Oh, I don't keep an eye on my tires very closely, I wonder what they are at?" and then you go check and find them 3 psi below the manufacturers recommendation so you say "I think I'll try adding 2 psi to the manufactures number". So you add 5 lbs. and even them all up. And you go for a drive to test it out. Well, it's important to understand you might not like what you feel. It might feel loose in the corners and the higher pressure might make it seem like you can feel every bump. The first problem is caused by the tread needing to wear into the new pressures- and the second problem is simply what you have become accustomed to. It can take a thousand miles or more depending upon the roads you drive on and your driving style to equalize the tread wear. And how long it takes you to adjust to the firmer ride is variable from person to person. But I think it's worth sticking with it, ideally from day 1 of new tires until the end (or your tread depth gauge shows the beginning of uneven wear).

Maybe you can have a look at the load index as well, sometimes manufacturers offer different options and the higher the better.

Higher load indexes can reduce flats to a limited degree, particularly impact flats. But those generally only happen from a pressure that is less than ideal or very severe impacts or very low profile tires (in which case a higher load index might not even be available or desirable). So this is generally not a great way to reduce flat tires in general.

The other reason a higher load index is not necessarily a wise choice is they can give the car a "wooden" feel over bumps and reduce traction (they don't conform as well to irregularities under the tread). Generally, if you have tires with too high of a load index your ideal tire pressure will be lower than it would be if you had a more appropriate load index. I might go up one load index range if I knew my car was most often fully loaded and driving on the highway.

I actually went down one load range on my winter tires since I know I'm rarely fully loaded in the winter and I wanted the extra sensitivity of the lower load range. They are still rated for the full GVWR but at a slightly higher pressure. Most people will want the load range recommended for their vehicle.

Last edited:
Higher load indexes can reduce flats to a limited degree, particularly impact flats. But those generally only happen from a pressure that is less than ideal or very severe impacts or very low profile tires (in which case a higher load index might not even be available or desirable). So this is generally not a great way to reduce flat tires in general.
This was true for bias-ply tires. In radial tires a higher load index really only adds a tiny bit of thickness to the casing cords. It almost never changes the tread compound or belt structure.

This was true for bias-ply tires. In radial tires a higher load index really only adds a tiny bit of thickness to the casing cords. It almost never changes the tread compound or belt structure.

A more supportive sidewall limits the treads ability to conform near the shoulders of the tread. And it weighs more. It can be a good thing depending upon the specific application and use but I wouldn't say, in general, it's a good rule of thumb. If you move up in load ranges you might find the ideal tire pressure for the tire is no longer the ideal tire pressure for the car. I wouldn't do it without a better reason than "a higher load range is better".

All air is pretty much all nitrogen. Not sure paying for nitrogen does anything, especially since half the tire (the outside) sits in all that horrible air. I agree with vecii, it's where you live. When we had a house being built near us, everyone began having flats. Sloppy builders.
Paying for nitrogen is very close to a scam for on-road surface vehicles. There are instances where nitrogen helps. Aircraft and underground vehicles (mines and Boring company) use nitrogen because if a fire breaks out additional oxygen is not added to the fire. Above ground there's already plenty of oxygen so a the bit from the tires doesn't matter.

The other use is race cars. Because nitrogen in guaranteed to be dry, it provides consistent lap times when setting up the suspension to get that extra 1/100th of a second reduction. There are also some small local race tracks that don't have electricity so nitrogen is about the cheapest and safest way to inflate the tires.

The bit out how hold pressure longer hasn't been true since oxygen tight liner compounds started to be commonly used. Nitrogen also changes shrinks and expands with temperature just the same as nitrogen plus oxygen (e.g. air).

A more supportive sidewall
I'm not sure about this bit. If you remove the belts the sidewall has virtually no supportive function. Even with a really heavy sidewall such as found in a large truck tire, removing the belts lets you deform the sidewall with small finger pressure. The purpose of the casing is to contain the air pressure which supports the load. There may be some additional stiffing in the bead area, which is what you might be referring to.

Last edited: