Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So that happened..... somehow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vawlkus

Feb 28, 2017
Halifax
C063F009-49C4-4E4E-8700-E39AB52B9C7E.jpeg
6203DB0F-F593-40A1-9166-BCFEB2AA25E4.jpeg
775C64D8-7459-48BC-A43B-B7A6F850C649.jpeg
1318ED07-27C4-406A-9BF7-5FD179CE2237.jpeg
76F221F0-FA6C-44C4-859B-C9AA87506959.jpeg
2962C47E-5916-4683-9F92-404319D6BEC7.jpeg
Kinda annoyed, and seriously puzzled. Saturday we had a bit of snow overnight. Sunday morning I defrost my X, move it so the plow truck can clear my spot, and when I go back out a couple hours later, I find a giant crack in the base of my windshield. Starts below the hood and comes up on both the passenger and drivers sides. There’s no crack to the touch on the outside or inside of the car, so it’s like there’s a middle layer of glass that’s cracked.
I’ll attach some pictures, but it’s hard to see.

This is a 2017 X, so it’s been through winters before, and it wasn’t especially cold (-7C at the worst over the weekend), and I’m really scratching my head over what caused this. Given I’m about 2k kms from a service center, I’m likely gonna need it fixed locally, probably under insurance.

Man this is quite sad to see as I had a similar issue with Mercedes - 1st on the S-Class 5 years back and then last year on my wife's B-Class.

They changed it for me on their dime on the S-Class but not on the B.

Keep us posted on what Tesla says.

• Informative
Reactions: richyrich
Do they also have to make sure the physical camera alignment is done properly as well? I’m not entirely sure on the whole process that is done when a windshield is replaced.
I’m gonna talk with my local Ranger, but from my view of it, the physical cameras just need to be mounted, then the software will adjust for their positioning.

I’m gonna talk with my local Ranger, but from my view of it, the physical cameras just need to be mounted, then the software will adjust for their positioning.
I do know that there is a physical calibration that needs to be maintained as well. My VIN was flagged as required to get a new physical pitch alignment a while ago and it needed to be done at a service center.

So based on that, if the windshield installer accidentally moves something in the camera housing during the removal/install you’ll want to know how that will be remedied. Just something to be aware of.

Best of luck getting everything sorted quickly!

Reactions: byeLT4
Still doesn’t explain how after almost 4 years, this just randomly happens out of nowhere.
Similar thing happened to me to my car years ago (not a Tesla). The windshield place told me sometimes an impact sometimes doesn’t leave a mark, but does cause a very minor crack/ weakness. Turning in the windshield heat vent when it’s really cold can cause enough expansion stress that it suddenly cracks, often right along the line where the heat’s blowing. Mine happened when I was driving to work one super cold morning and actually made a bang when it went.

I do know that there is a physical calibration that needs to be maintained as well. My VIN was flagged as required to get a new physical pitch alignment a while ago and it needed to be done at a service center.

So based on that, if the windshield installer accidentally moves something in the camera housing during the removal/install you’ll want to know how that will be remedied. Just something to be aware of.

Best of luck getting everything sorted quickly!
Maybe it's batch specific. According to what my Ranger told me, there are several pitch angles in the unit itself that the cameras will utilize during the re-calibration procedure. Unless the unit is wrecked during the windshield swap, it should auto adjust when it calibrates.

Similar thing happened to me to my car years ago (not a Tesla). The windshield place told me sometimes an impact sometimes doesn’t leave a mark, but does cause a very minor crack/ weakness. Turning in the windshield heat vent when it’s really cold can cause enough expansion stress that it suddenly cracks, often right along the line where the heat’s blowing. Mine happened when I was driving to work one super cold morning and actually made a bang when it went.
There's zero impact marks, and it apparently starts below the line of the hood, so there's literally about zero chance there was any impact that caused this.

It COULD be heat related, but I have a hard time with that, seeing as it wasn't really cold, and it's been through a couple of winters already.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
There's zero impact marks, and it apparently starts below the line of the hood, so there's literally about zero chance there was any impact that caused this.

It COULD be heat related, but I have a hard time with that, seeing as it wasn't really cold, and it's been through a couple of winters already.
Same with mine - there was no obvious originating damage, and my car was probably about 3 winters in. It was a Jeep Patriot though and because of the fairly upright windshield it did tend to take a few hits from small stones. Nothing that left a mark though.

I think sometimes (and could have been the same with mine) it’s just something in the manufacture of the windshield itself that has some kind of internal stress that’s just waiting for the right condition over time to finally let go.

I had this happen last year on my Model S windshield. In hindsight, made the mistake of turning on full defrost during pre-heat. Defrost blasts high heat onto the windshield and causes tremendous temperature stress in the glass.

Thanks for this info.

I commented earlier having dealt with this on my Merc. I do remember turning on full defrost on the B when it happened.

However we have owned 2 Model S and never faced this but this I’ll likely make it a point to warm it up slowly instead of blasting the defrost.

OP did you turn the defrost on when this occurred.

Thanks for this info.

I commented earlier having dealt with this on my Merc. I do remember turning on full defrost on the B when it happened.

However we have owned 2 Model S and never faced this but this I’ll likely make it a point to warm it up slowly instead of blasting the defrost.

OP did you turn the defrost on when this occurred.
I almost never use it unless the windshield starts to fog up while I’m driving.
I don’t even use the wiper alley heater, too much of an effort to get to it.

I typically just hit the climate shortcut on the front of the app.

I had this happen last year on my Model S windshield. In hindsight, made the mistake of turning on full defrost during pre-heat. Defrost blasts high heat onto the windshield and causes tremendous temperature stress in the glass.
I don't think what you did should be considered a mistake. That is what the defrost is for.
I have been doing the same thing coming back to my car sitting outside by -15c after an ice storm covered with ice.

Reactions: richyrich