Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So...what's changed after 130,000 Model S's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am eagerly awaiting my refreshed Model S that I ordered last week. This is the first time ever that I've upgraded in less than 3 years, not to mention staying with the same brand, and same model of vehicle! Not to mention that I've also pre-ordered the Model 3 to ensure yet more Teslafication of my family...

My original VIN (delivered Aug 2013) is around 16,200 (due end of June 2016) and my newly issued VIN is in the 145,300's.

This has me reflecting on the growth of Tesla and the developments I've watched in this short time. While we all know Tesla doesn't have model years, there have been continuous improvements. Things that have been added to the car over the last 130,000 cars include (in rough order of release by my memory):

Parking sensors
Folding mirrors
Titanium undershield (Tank Mode!)
Better fit & finish
Enhanced front (and somewhat improved rear) seats
New braking system
Autopilot!!!
Dual motors
90 kWh battery (and 70-75's)
New face and rear diffuser (subtle)
Integrated center console
Bioweapon defense filter
LED headlights with cornering

Expanded Supercharging network
Numerous software enhancements

...and that's all I can remember for now.

What a remarkable experience this has been. Can't wait to jump up to the latest generation and see what you kids with that fancy Autopilot are going on about!

This has easily been the most fun I've had with a car, and I'm looking forward to another great run!

In case you need one, a referral for $1000USD/$1200CAD off (good til July 15): Referral | Tesla Motors

I think I forgot other benefits that aren't directly related to the hardware of the car, and these are starting to emerge as a huge Tesla-only (at least for now) benefits:

1. The established (and expanding) Supercharger network. Even when the Bolt or any other longer range EV comes to market, no one has the large fast charging network already in place.
2. The Hive Mind of Autopilot. No one has the interconnected learning for autonomous/driver assistance that Tesla has. Adding a million miles per day (and growing) will only further expand Tesla's lead.

Other innovations introduced right after I got my original car:
1. Resale value guarantee for loans via TM
2. Happiness Guarantee for leases
3. Infinite drivetrain warranty

Other hardware changes I missed:
1. Wheel-specific TPMS
2. Realtime production improvements (I think Elon quoted about 20/week) that aren't user-facing.

I don't think competitors should underestimate the power of the continuously improving autopilot data. Just this last few months, the tech press is abuzz with all the new innovations of AI/machine learning, and that needs data to feed it. Our connected cars (like it or not) will contribute to this learning, and we've already seen AP improve as a result!

Well, got my new 90D! In RED! Never had a red car before and I'm loving it. Took the front plate off since I figured I might as well go full rebel mode if I'm going red anyway!

Car is getting paint protection film applied as I type this, and I'll get her back tomorrow! Missed having it over the weekend but wanted the beautiful face and hood protected before summer road trips.

Red%20facelift.jpg

A few other changes since my classic VIN in the 16,000's (new car is in the 145,000's):

1. LTE internet connection
2. Motorized charge port door
3. Nicer base 19" wheels (slipstreams) -- although I'm missing the 21's and will likely swap out some day
4. Lower trim below the doors is body-colored
5. Smaller frunk :-( (acceptable tradeoff for the dual motors)
6. AC is quieter on this newer car -- I can't feel it vibrating through the steering wheel and I can't hear its buzzing like I could with my original

Car is still calibrating its sensors, I understand. Autopark functions weren't activating yet and my DS tells me a newly delivered car spends the first week calibrating the sensors. Autopilot works well already, though.

I have an earlier P85 (VIN 3xxx) and they have made quite a few improvements since I purchased my P85.

And, what's surprising is that Tesla has been able to maintain the cost at about the same level - a 90D has about the same performance (with longer range) than my P85 - and costs about the same - and for that cost, you get so much more - AutoPilot, summons, power folding mirrors, ...

Though I'm probably going to wait for a larger battery upgrade (100D?) and for the 2nd generation of the AP hardware - since my P85 is still running great.

But... the software remains a disappointment - and not sure we'd spend another $100K unless Tesla can close the gap on functionality (better smartphone integration, media player, navigation) and provide higher quality software.

Yesterday, when we were driving at highway speeds - the center console display rebooted on its own - and when it came back, we lost the XM radio stations, and couldn't get it back to tuning the MLB game we had been listening to...

Car is still calibrating its sensors, I understand. Autopark functions weren't activating yet and my DS tells me a newly delivered car spends the first week calibrating the sensors. Autopilot works well already, though.
Steve, congrats on your new car, and thanks for reminding us of the many many improvements Tesla has made to the S in just 4 years.

I did not realize that new cars need time to "calibrate" their AP sensors. That doesn't make sense to me and I am skeptical that your DS is giving you correct information. The forward camera, radar, and 16 ultrasonics are simply hardware that is manufactured to specific tolerances, I don't understand what needs to be "calibrated". The implication seems to me to be that the car firmware somehow "learns" something about the specific sensors in the car and either adjusts them or adjusts to them. I am doubtful that is occurring. But I could be wrong...

Well, got my new 90D! In RED! Never had a red car before and I'm loving it. Took the front plate off since I figured I might as well go full rebel mode if I'm going red anyway!

Car is getting paint protection film applied as I type this, and I'll get her back tomorrow! Missed having it over the weekend but wanted the beautiful face and hood protected before summer road trips.

Red%20facelift.jpg

A few other changes since my classic VIN in the 16,000's (new car is in the 145,000's):

1. LTE internet connection
2. Motorized charge port door
3. Nicer base 19" wheels (slipstreams) -- although I'm missing the 21's and will likely swap out some day
4. Lower trim below the doors is body-colored
5. Smaller frunk :-( (acceptable tradeoff for the dual motors)
6. AC is quieter on this newer car -- I can't feel it vibrating through the steering wheel and I can't hear its buzzing like I could with my original

Nice car! My daughter talked me out of the red and I hope I don't regret it. I'm getting white because my wife drives a red car :(

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Argh! Funny (ish) enough I just got the front plate ticket last weekend! Aaaarrgh!

I have now sadly reattached the plate but this time using normal Phillips slotted bolts and the plate is held on the fascia using a set of command adhesive Velcro. It's so I can take it off for pictures etc. I'll see how the command adhesive works.

Lesson learned but not happy! Signing the petition!

I got Suntek instead of Xpel this time -- I thought the Suntek was a smoother finish, but there's probably little difference between the two. I do get the impression that the Suntek is a bit thinner so maybe it'll be less durable? Just purely speculative. I'm happy with it, regardless.

Adding to the refinements:

Autopilot 8.0: yes, there will be further refinements, but it amazes me that Tesla was able to rethink the hardware and expand its capabilities for the existing fleet. I'm amazed that the car can indeed see 2 cars ahead, even if I can't see the car myself! This is pretty incredible - kudos to the Tesla engineering team!

Argh! Funny (ish) enough I just got the front plate ticket last weekend! Aaaarrgh!

I have now sadly reattached the plate but this time using normal Phillips slotted bolts and the plate is held on the fascia using a set of command adhesive Velcro. It's so I can take it off for pictures etc. I'll see how the command adhesive works.

Lesson learned but not happy! Signing the petition!

In California, the law says "affixed", so the plate can be mounted with magnets (glued on behind the bumper and on back of plate) or velcro or just about anything, including electrical tape. I wish more states / provinces would get the idea to get rid of this outdated law. Personally, I just figured on paying the fine, and the last time was on my previous car, ten years ago.

In California, the law says "affixed", so the plate can be mounted with magnets (glued on behind the bumper and on back of plate) or velcro or just about anything, including electrical tape. I wish more states / provinces would get the idea to get rid of this outdated law. Personally, I just figured on paying the fine, and the last time was on my previous car, ten years ago.
In CO, you can also put the front plate on the dash in the lower left or lower right of the windshield. Although I don't and haven't had a front plate in years and never got ticketed.