Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So who's all about that hypermiling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read that the model S P100D record was just broken again. It now stands at 670miles on a full charge. They needed to go about 24mph the whole time on a closed track over 28 hours.

I'm curious as to how the 310 model 3 will do with the battery and motor efficiency changes. Who is a daily hypermiler with their commute and what not?

Reactions: DR61
hypermiling like the one on the test track is just silly nerds at play.
it's a sure thing that if you drive the car at very low speeds you will see a large increase in how far the car can go but what's the point, are you going to take a few hundred mile ride at such low speeds?
figuring out ways to increase your range at normal highway speeds would be a more fruitful experiment.

Someone can drive efficiently (aka "Hypermile") is most situations, including on the highway. One of the nice things about EVs, compared to ICEs, is that a driver can see the full benefit of things like slowing down or safely (10+ car lengths) following a semi. ICEs also see a fuel efficiency benefit, but because engine efficiency decreases as load decreases, some of the gains in drag reduction by driving slow or safely drafting are offset by somewhat lower engine efficiency.

For example, if the LR Model 3's EPA rating is with Sport wheels, a car with Aero wheels could see an extra ~20 miles of highway range. An owner who is OK with driving 55mph in the right lane could also see a ~50-70 mile increase in range.

Someone can drive efficiently (aka "Hypermile") is most situations, including on the highway. One of the nice things about EVs, compared to ICEs, is that a driver can see the full benefit of things like slowing down or safely (10+ car lengths) following a semi. ICEs also see a fuel efficiency benefit, but because engine efficiency decreases as load decreases, some of the gains in drag reduction by driving slow or safely drafting are offset by somewhat lower engine efficiency.

For example, if the LR Model 3's EPA rating is with Sport wheels, a car with Aero wheels could see an extra ~20 miles of highway range. An owner who is OK with driving 55mph in the right lane could also see a ~50-70 mile increase in range.
Yep.

'Hypermiling' as a practice is mostly centered around optimizing ICE efficiency and reducing pumping losses. An EV has mostly deprecated the entire business. Driving slow(er) and reducing brake use is better described as such directly.

One of the nice things about EVs, compared to ICEs, is that a driver can see the full benefit of things like slowing down or safely (10+ car lengths) following a semi.

I think it it MUCH more efficient to be, like, 1 car length back. I have the 2000 Honda Insight and it has the instant readout too. With drafting that close I have gotten 93.5 MPG from SF to LA and back on one 10 gallon tank. Wonder how many truckers will be upset by all the Teslas set to cruise 1 length back, pulling down their MPG

-Randy

Drafting behind semis is just asking for all kinds of trouble. Dirt and rocks from the road are thrown up by the semi wheels and damage your paint more than normal. It's dangerous, its annoying to the truck driver. Please don't do it.

Extreme hypermiling to see how you can break the record on a single charge is of course not practical in real world driving, but extreme hypermiling like this teaches you what affects range and what you can do to save energy.

I like to drive smooth and efficient, but I don't drive slow at all. For example I keep a slightly larger distance to the next car than most people do. It helps driving smoother and using brakes much less and maximize regen. On freeways I'm probably in the top 20% speed bracket. I found the most effective way to drive energy efficient is looking ahead in traffic and adjust early. The less speed adjustments you have to make (both accelerating and decelerating) the more efficient you are. The harder necessary speed adjustments are, the less efficient you are.

What's the opposite of a hypermiler, because that's what I am. I want a great range for a performance model with 19 in wheels that drives 80 mph everywhere.

I think this will be the mission of the M310. Zip around everywhere, no concern for speed, range, or Wh/mi. It's lighter, narrower, with better efficiency.

I think this will be the mission of the M310. Zip around everywhere, no concern for speed, range, or Wh/mi. It's lighter, narrower, with better efficiency.

+1
When I got my Model S there was the 85 and 60. It was a stretch for me to buy a Model S but I still opted for the larger battery. Totally the right decision. If everything goes by plan you are fine, but life never goes as planned and you will need the extra range.

I think it it MUCH more efficient to be, like, 1 car length back. I have the 2000 Honda Insight and it has the instant readout too. With drafting that close I have gotten 93.5 MPG from SF to LA and back on one 10 gallon tank. Wonder how many truckers will be upset by all the Teslas set to cruise 1 length back, pulling down their MPG

-Randy
I usually do 2 and I've never had any sort of issue with a trucker when drafting, you throw blocks for them and they appreciate it.

Drafting behind semis is just asking for all kinds of trouble. Dirt and rocks from the road are thrown up by the semi wheels and damage your paint more than normal. It's dangerous, its annoying to the truck driver. Please don't do it.
that is how you may feel but I and many others draft often. if I see a trucker doing a constant 70+mph I fall in behind and enjoy the savings, once or twice drafting saved my bacon on extremely windy days.

that is how you may feel but I and many others draft often. if I see a trucker doing a constant 70+mph I fall in behind and enjoy the savings, once or twice drafting saved my bacon on extremely windy days.

It's less of a 'feeling' on my end but just facts. More rocks hitting your car and higher risk because of the reduced distance isn't feelings.
I had to do it a few times to make it on road trips when I planned wrong, but nothing I'd recommend.

I currently drive a Gen 1 Volt and I do some moderate hypermiling -- particularly on trips where doing so will mean the difference between being able to do the whole trip on battery only vs having to burn some gas.

If I get a Model 3 there will be less incentive to drive efficiently since it's already so efficient and since there'd be no risk of burning gas. But I would hope that I'd retain at least some of my efficient driving habits. :)

I currently drive a Gen 1 Volt and I do some moderate hypermiling -- particularly on trips where doing so will mean the difference between being able to do the whole trip on battery only vs having to burn some gas.

If I get a Model 3 there will be less incentive to drive efficiently since it's already so efficient and since there'd be no risk of burning gas. But I would hope that I'd retain at least some of my efficient driving habits. :)
This is me too.
I'm looking forward to driving 70 mph instead of 63.

• Funny
Reactions: jsmay311
I just read that the model S P100D record was just broken again. It now stands at 670miles on a full charge. They needed to go about 24mph the whole time on a closed track over 28 hours.

I'm curious as to how the 310 model 3 will do with the battery and motor efficiency changes. Who is a daily hypermiler with their commute and what not?
You will never know from me because I don't have that kind of time, nor is it important to me.

Well if I can find a hill that I can go down hill on both sides......then I might consider it.

Reactions: FlyingKiwi

-Randy
Reluctantly sold my 2000 Insight, soon to be an MS75 owner. I also got great mileage, like 84 mpg following a horse trailer from western Maryland to Baltimore....that was Hagerstwn to Baltimore on 1 gallon. With MS active collision avoidance I could visualize duplicating a similar feat but in a much much safer way. My wife finally got tired of staring at the horse asses forcing me to change 'hosts'...lol!!

Maybe here's a safer idea, I work for Volvo Truck, we have an option called 'I See', where the truck learns the most efficient way across a new route saveing it to memory for use again, or downloads the route strategy from other truck's records / GPS coordinates downloaded from a cloud database. It saves fleets millions. Tesla if they haven't already started should develop this SW.

It would work in much the same way, MS/X hyper milers, or anyone, could drive their regular daily routes and share that information with other MS/X drivers saved to a downloadable cloud file. The most efficient drives e.g. lowest wh/mile would be available to download to autopilot (AP). AP would then do more than steer and hold speed, it could also anticipate grade changes, etc. Together we could collectively save kWh as a group / fleet which means burning less coal.