Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So you don't have a 2021 "refresh"...who cares, really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, you bought the same car you already had but found enough value in the few changes for 2021...but you also realize it's the same car with a couple changes.

I don’t think anyone thinks it’s a totally redesigned car. You tubers are bound to jazz it up because they are chasing clicks. The actual component changes Tesla made are all very well documented. There are actually quite a lot, even though none of them are earth shatteringly important.

Would I sell a 2018 for a 2021 of same spec? Nope. Do I prefer the updates? Yes, all of them as it happens. Enough that I delayed my order for a few weeks to get the 2021 update. Glad I did that at least.

Reactions: BeeGood
The only thing I wish I would have gotten is the new center console and the new headlights. Wasn't a big enough change for me to wait though.

the new headlights are cool but our old centre console is definetely better/sleeker looking.
If you cant stand the piano black (i cant and mine is ruined anyway) - put a vynil cover or a plastic cover over it - looks much better than the new console.

Wireless charging can be added cheaply as an aftermarket option. you can even charge two phones then.

Last edited:
obviously you jumped trims, but outside of the price increase of the LR how much did you actually lose assuming you just went SR+ to SR+.

Rhode Island winter cold MURDERED the range in my 2020 SR+. I’d get maybe 120 miles of it, and she was brand new. This LR with the heat pump, amazing. I was charging to 90% daily. Now I’m charging to 70% once a week about. Also, the drain at night was trash. 10% at times. Maybe 1-2 here, If that. The heat would need to be blasted to get the cabin warm in the SR+ as well. Not now. 65 and it’s warm in seconds.

All that being said, if one lives in Key West... stick with the 2020 SR+. For me, no brainer to jump to the 2021.

Rhode Island winter cold MURDERED the range in my 2020 SR+. I’d get maybe 120 miles of it, and she was brand new. This LR with the heat pump, amazing. I was charging to 90% daily. Now I’m charging to 70% once a week about. Also, the drain at night was trash. 10% at times. Maybe 1-2 here, If that. The heat would need to be blasted to get the cabin warm in the SR+ as well. Not now. 65 and it’s warm in seconds.

All that being said, if one lives in Key West... stick with the 2020 SR+. For me, no brainer to jump to the 2021.

I am in Atlanta, and we are far from brutal winters but I still feel the winter range loss. Nothing nearly as drastic as your experience, but probably around 10%.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
I am in Atlanta, and we are far from brutal winters but I still feel the winter range loss. Nothing nearly as drastic as your experience, but probably around 10%.

Same here, and the difference with the heat pump is definitely noticeable.

I wish I had kept track of my Wh/mi before I traded in my 2020, but my 2021 gets a lot closer to the rated line in this “cold weather” (by Metro ATL standards :)).