Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So you don't have a 2021 "refresh"...who cares, really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I've been around cars for a while and probably have owned 40 vehicles, including 2 Teslas. I just want to throw it out there for discussion... I think it's rather comical how many folks are reacting to the slight changes in the 2021 Model 3's. The truth is for any other car manufacturer, these slight changes would probably go under the radar unless you're a salesperson talking to a customer on the lot.

These Youtube videos are like Saturday Night Live skits - comparing a "refreshed" 2021 Model 3 to a 2019 or 2020. I literally feel like I'm being "punked"... Oh no, it's no joke (very sad)... Their excitement beings to build as they find some un-noticeable (to 99% of the public) change to a hub cap shape. Then, their head literally explodes when they say, "it has black trim and the center console is slightly different", with the same level of enthusiasm as if they just saw aliens land in their own back yard. Wait until the "secret" heated steering wheel is activated - it will be like the second coming of Christ on this forum. You want to know why some people think Tesla owners are pretentious idiots? Case and point on the 2021 MY having a few changes, and the Tesla Community's reaction to those slight changes. Looks like a lot of Kool-Aid has been passed around here, folks...

I'm a major Tesla Fanboy and LOVE-LOVE-LOVE my car, but holy hell...what am I missing? Does the 2021 fly?

Purchasing a Tesla is similar to purchasing a computer, tv, or audio equipment. In a few weeks or months there will be upgrades. If you are the kind that must have the latest, then the best course of action is to purchase the best you can afford and then never look at another ad, review, or forum entry until what you've purchased no longer does what you purchased it to do. (Alternative is to have an unlimited budget.)

I don't care at all really about the cosmetic changes but I do wish my car had the ability to pull heat out of the battery to warm the cabin, that's the biggest win for the update by far. This can make a huge difference in winter efficiency if you preheat the battery before you leave on a cold trip or if you supercharge along your trip. That being said, not something i'd swap my car in for.

Purchasing a Tesla is similar to purchasing a computer, tv, or audio equipment. In a few weeks or months there will be upgrades. If you are the kind that must have the latest, then the best course of action is to purchase the best you can afford and then never look at another ad, review, or forum entry until what you've purchased no longer does what you purchased it to do. (Alternative is to have an unlimited budget.)

it took almost 2 years before there were noteworthy changes on the model 3 over my existing car (chrome trim delete, heatpump, center console), and even those changes are basically trivial except for increased battery density. And even the extra range isn't a big deal.

it would be dumb to upgrade my 2019 LR RWD 3

Hey guys,

I've been around cars for a while and probably have owned 40 vehicles, including 2 Teslas. I just want to throw it out there for discussion... I think it's rather comical how many folks are reacting to the slight changes in the 2021 Model 3's. The truth is for any other car manufacturer, these slight changes would probably go under the radar unless you're a salesperson talking to a customer on the lot.

These Youtube videos are like Saturday Night Live skits - comparing a "refreshed" 2021 Model 3 to a 2019 or 2020. I literally feel like I'm being "punked"... Oh no, it's no joke (very sad)... Their excitement beings to build as they find some un-noticeable (to 99% of the public) change to a hub cap shape. Then, their head literally explodes when they say, "it has black trim and the center console is slightly different", with the same level of enthusiasm as if they just saw aliens land in their own back yard. Wait until the "secret" heated steering wheel is activated - it will be like the second coming of Christ on this forum. You want to know why some people think Tesla owners are pretentious idiots? Case and point on the 2021 MY having a few changes, and the Tesla Community's reaction to those slight changes. Looks like a lot of Kool-Aid has been passed around here, folks...

I'm a major Tesla Fanboy and LOVE-LOVE-LOVE my car, but holy hell...what am I missing? Does the 2021 fly?

A lot of people that own these cars are techies, they're not actual car people. That's why there is an obsession with 'gotta have the latest greatest doohicky' no matter what it is. Most actual car people are easy to spot. If it is more of a gimmick than function, we just ignore the changes.

I don't care at all really about the cosmetic changes but I do wish my car had the ability to pull heat out of the battery to warm the cabin, that's the biggest win for the update by far. This can make a huge difference in winter efficiency if you preheat the battery before you leave on a cold trip or if you supercharge along your trip. That being said, not something i'd swap my car in for.

Totally...that's a nice feature. However, doesn't justify calling a car a "refresh" IMO.

Remember, I'm also the guy with a Tesla flag in my garage, a hat, jacket, and Elon books. Kudos to folks grabbing the latest and greatest model! I'm jealous of the heat pump and black trim. However, do realize, you have 95.9% of what everyone else has. It's treated as if the 2021 needs its own forum. o_O

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt and SigNC
Chrome delete - eh
Center console - eh
USB-A to USB-C ports - eh
Überturbine wheels - eh
Power trunk - eh
Range increase from 299 to 315 - eh

0-60 reduction from 3.2 to 3.1 -

WTF!?!? :mad:

Yeah...it's because they never changed the website from 3.2 since the last performance software update, or the test driver didn't eat a double quarter pounder that day.

You forgot...

Hub cap update: New Forum Created

A lot of people that own these cars are techies, they're not actual car people. That's why there is an obsession with 'gotta have the latest greatest doohicky' no matter what it is. Most actual car people are easy to spot. If it is more of a gimmick than function, we just ignore the changes.
yep. Combine this with hype culture and you see & hear a lot of dumb *sugar*.

Reactions: Gsxr150