Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SOC for 100KW software-limited to 85KW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 85KW pack on my model S was replaced under warranty with a “brand new” 100KW pack …but then software limited back to 85.

My question is: does this mean that when I set the charge limit to 100% in reality my pack will only be 85%? I presume so but would welcome confirmation from anyone who really knows.

Are you sure it’s a 100kwh pack? Can you take a picture of the battery sticker? This would be the first time I’ve heard of Tesla putting a 100 in a car that was not born a 100.

To answer your general question, yes, that’s exactly how software locks work so you could in theory charge to 100% all day every day without any negative effects.

I'll note that note all of the letter bump revisions are improvements, just changes. Like if a component was swapped out with a comparable one from a different supplier, they'll sometimes bump the revision since it was technically revised, but this doesn't necessarily mean "better".

Would be interesting to see confirmation of the battery pack label posted publicly here. While I've seen Tesla do this several times over the years, I don't think anyone has publicly posted about it. Would be a good additional nail in the coffin on the YouTuber-spread misinformation that 100 packs aren't compatible. ;)

Also, *put's on salesman hat* don't wait for your pack to fail. Upgrade today! :cool:

The 85KW pack on my model S was replaced under warranty with a “brand new” 100KW pack …but then software limited back to 85.

My question is: does this mean that when I set the charge limit to 100% in reality my pack will only be 85%? I presume so but would welcome confirmation from anyone who really knows.
If they did this they are incredibly inconsistent. An 85 to 100 doesn’t seem fair to others who got a refurb 85 under warranty. Regardless you are very lucky! (Secretly I just hoped my battery failed inside warranty and I get a 100kwh pack)

I'll note that note all of the letter bump revisions are improvements, just changes. Like if a component was swapped out with a comparable one from a different supplier, they'll sometimes bump the revision since it was technically revised, but this doesn't necessarily mean "better".

Would be interesting to see confirmation of the battery pack label posted publicly here. While I've seen Tesla do this several times over the years, I don't think anyone has publicly posted about it. Would be a good additional nail in the coffin on the YouTuber-spread misinformation that 100 packs aren't compatible. ;)

Also, *put's on salesman hat* don't wait for your pack to fail. Upgrade today! :cool:
Since you’ve said you are doing a ton of S battery repairs I have a question. Have you seen a lot of the early v1 90 packs failing? If so do they have higher mileage?

Since you’ve said you are doing a ton of S battery repairs I have a question. Have you seen a lot of the early v1 90 packs failing? If so do they have higher mileage?
We've replaced every variant of pack for a failure of one kind or another at this point. I can't say we've seen a significant amount of failures specifically with the v1 90 packs, but those packs definitely seem to have the highest degradation of everything we've worked on, aside from a particular 60-type pack that's not very common.

Failures tend to increase with age. Mileage might as well be random. While it correlates well with capacity degradation, it seems to have little bearing, if any, on if a failure will happen or if a pack is healthy.

Reactions: tesluv108

DC31B852-D996-416A-826F-B71A89102505.jpeg

You mean 85 kWh pack and 100 kWh pack? Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not KW.
I’m more curious why they didn’t use one of the new 85kWh 350V packs..
It’s definitely a 100kWh pack. From studying previous posts I expected it to be a refurbished pack but after a long wait (8weeks) I was told they were fitting a brand new pack.

Where is the battery label to be found? I’ll post a picture.

My S is early - 2015… the pack failed 7years and 10 months through an 8 year warranty. Aren’t I lucky.

It’s definitely a 100kWh pack. From studying previous posts I expected it to be a refurbished pack but after a long wait (8weeks) I was told they were fitting a brand new pack.

Where is the battery label to be found? I’ll post a picture.

My S is early - 2015… the pack failed 7years and 10 months through an 8 year warranty. Aren’t I lucky.
This involves getting down on your knees or lying down. Turn front wheel and you will see the sticker on pack on front right (passenger) side below the wheel well. Also state your mileage and how often you supercharged the pack

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Nope. It's provisioned so to you 100% is the 85Kwh. A side benefit is that you're never really charging to 100% of the pack because of the provisioning so it's a like less harsh on the battery.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC