Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Relative to poaching from Apple, I think Tesla will continue to brain-drain from other companies and attract the very best minds for some time now. This is especially true of engineering talent at old ICE companies. If you are a highly talented person and see that your company is only half interested in compliance vehicles, you will be eager to get to where the innovative action is. This will continue to be to Tesla's good well into the future.

Wow didn't know that. Are traders higher than vp? Googling doesn't show me the real food chain.

Employees at investment banks/broker dealers typically have a role and a level. VP is a level within a hierarchy (usually analyst, associate, AVP, VP, Director, Managing Director, or similar). Trader would be someone's role. You could be a trader at a VP level etc.

In a vain attempt to stay on topic, looks like we are going sideways-ish after a few days of excitement.

Relative to poaching from Apple, I think Tesla will continue to brain-drain from other companies and attract the very best minds for some time now. This is especially true of engineering talent at old ICE companies. If you are a highly talented person and see that your company is only half interested in compliance vehicles, you will be eager to get to where the innovative action is. This will continue to be to Tesla's good well into the future.
Agreed. Tesla's continued ability to draw away talented staff is a great retort to shorts. You and I are just investing money; these hires are investing their careers and are undoubtedly receiving a non-trivial part of their comp in at-the-money options. If these new hires didn't see big upside from shifting to Tesla, why would they leave their current jobs with great employers?

Employees at investment banks/broker dealers typically have a role and a level. VP is a level within a hierarchy (usually analyst, associate, AVP, VP, Director, Managing Director, or similar). Trader would be someone's role. You could be a trader at a VP level etc.

In a vain attempt to stay on topic, looks like we are going sideways-ish after a few days of excitement.

Yeah, my guess is that we need good q4 to pierce the $200. The other good piece of news that can do it is NHTSA. I think a good china reservation number surprise will shoot the stock up to $300. By that I mean if they have 20k reservations in china. Which is unlikely.

back to my interest. In a normal corp, vp are officers and usually shareholders. Managing directors and directors usually sits on the board. I am guessing it is not the same on wall street and none of them holds significant shares?

I might have made a mistake selling at 199....

I have bought a lot of shares over the last 9 months. The last round of purchases I had made were 250 shares at 172 several months ago. I panicked when the stock fell after that, but held on. Yesterday when it hit 199.70 I sold those 250 shares and took my profits. Then I placed a buy order for 250 shares at 180, thinking I will make another 10% when it drops back down to 180 and then rebounds in a few months. However, I'm worried now that it won't come back down to 180, and I will have lost the future growth of 250 shares of stock. :redface: I don't know how you day traders do it! My one trade trying to time the market is killing me.... :eek: It will come back down to 180 at some point..., right???? :confused:

Yeah, my guess is that we need good q4 to pierce the $200. The other good piece of news that can do it is NHTSA. I think a good china reservation number surprise will shoot the stock up to $300. By that I mean if they have 20k reservations in china. Which is unlikely.

back to my interest. In a normal corp, vp are officers and usually shareholders. Managing directors and directors usually sits on the board. I am guessing it is not the same on wall street and none of them holds significant shares?

Yes, VP's are different on Wall St in most large companies at least. There are large numbers of people at the VP level across a firm and they would not be the most senior in the department. They may participate in the company share plan but would not be a significant shareholder. VP on Wall St. is less senior, and more abundant than in a start-up for example.

Indeed, still some catalysts on deck.

I have bought a lot of shares over the last 9 months. The last round of purchases I had made were 250 shares at 172 several months ago. I panicked when the stock fell after that, but held on. Yesterday when it hit 199.70 I sold those 250 shares and took my profits. Then I placed a buy order for 250 shares at 180, thinking I will make another 10% when it drops back down to 180 and then rebounds in a few months. However, I'm worried now that it won't come back down to 180, and I will have lost the future growth of 250 shares of stock. :redface: I don't know how you day traders do it! My one trade trying to time the market is killing me.... :eek: It will come back down to 180 at some point..., right???? :confused:

when we crossed 100 it never really came back down. Check the short term thread for 2013 for approximately 7000 posts saying "dang, I hope the stock goes down a bit so I can get back in".

I think Justine probably deserves that position, since I expect she is doing 95% of the child rearing of those 5 boys. Maybe Justine is mother-in-chief and Talulah is also helping in his personal life. Good arrangement if you can get it...
not to be too caustic but i suspect any speculation on his private life should be off bounds and would encourage the moderators to enforce that. its not much different when the shorts tried to make case about his private life. private life is ...well private.

It will come back down to 180 at some point..., right???? :confused:

rd, I understand how those swings may look tempting. Tesla is the second stock I've taken a large position in with the intent to hold on for long term upside as you alluded to.

here's my approach... core shares, I don't sell. what do I do? on big drops, I load up on some extra shares for trading. if you have the buying power to do this, your core shares are always in the stock, but you can take advantage of silly selloffs by buying and selling on a quick rebound, sometimes as little as hours, sometimes months for me. silly selloffs being ones based on irrational behavior (think zooming in on 5 weeks of fire frequency rather than a year plus of data...). of course, it takes work to understand a company's value well enough to recognize the difference between a silly selloff and a right sized sell offs based on news that will really effect long term picture.

I would place a buy order for 150 shrs @ $190 (good chance of hitting hit this week) then 30 minutes after the market opens on the Feb 20th buy 150 shrs at market.

Having a game plan will be more profitable then emotional day trading for most.

Last edited:
We toyed with the idea of stock playing over the past year. My original purpose for buying shares was to take the profit after a few years and buy a Model S, or a Model E whichever came first (enough profit, or 2017), plus, support the company in actually getting to a Model E. We're very conservative and generally protect our initial investments (by cashing in our initial stake and continuing investment on the profits). The volatility has given us some tense moments, but in the end our decision was/is to hold long in support of the company's vision, including our original stake. I have no idea why the stock is bouncing around so much... but I'm a firm believer in "never assume a conspiracy when mere stupidity would explain it". Besides supporting Tesla's vision, I wouldn't be able to mentally take the wild swings short term if I was buying and selling on downs/ups. I understand your pain.

[subnote: I threw out my "wait" plan last month and grabbed a Model S, purely in further support of Tesla's vision to the Model E of course :)]

...Yesterday when it hit 199.70 I sold...
You have my sympathy. I sweated selling (at least some) near the new ATH but in the end didn’t. Why would it go much above 200 when the CEO says it’s overvalued? Why won’t it just keep going up as production continues to increase? In the end I convince myself that these “small movements” since the 10th are just that and my pot is just not big enough be worth trading on them. 180? 200? in the end will it be enough to matter?

Maybe somewhat off topic - Tuesday night was a presidential dinner with Pres. Hollande of France at the White House, guess who was on the guest list?

Mr. Elon Musk, Los Angeles, CA
Mrs. Talulah Musk
Hollandes State Dinner: The Guest List - Washington Wire - WSJ

Didn´t they divorce in 2012? Has this something to do with "Everyhting is awesome?" :)?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/getty/article/Id=468846621
ALeqM5iYL8STsGJbO-XtD52LEujKZTFyxw

No much else going on right now....

I would say that a VP in a bank is the equivalent to a Director title in a more normal operating company. Bank VPs do not lead departments and do not sit on any sort of management committee. In fact you can have several VPs in the same department reporting to one or two "Managing Directors." A Managing Director title is more equivalent to an operating company VP title as they would be responsible for a given department, including budgets, P&Ls, strategy & then also sit on the more broad corporate committees.