Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 $200. I think I saw that post as well. I faintly remember that the premium of those far otm options didn't reflect the volatility of the stock and the stock was hovering around $100 at the time. The premiums were like $10 or something. I suspect the person and his brother were experienced options traders though.

Someone could have bought just a few 35 or 40 strike LEAPs over a year ago(which I know many people were dong with TSLA), then at the start of the short squeeze about a year ago converted them all to a lot of cheap 6-month out 75 call options and made a fortune just from those two option trades alone. I know someone who made about a 10,000% return on their 4k IRA acct from doing this trade-up, it's a gamble but can pay off. They also say they bought a bunch of Jan 2016 250 LEAPs for about $15 each in Nov.

What the first stock?

Dave, the first stock was Celgene. I don't own it anymore, but it would have huge swings like Tesla. After a couple of years of getting annoyed at baseless drops, I developed that strategy of buying extra shares whenever I thought it entered silly undervalued territory, and I had many years of some nice trading gains on top of core share appreciation. I do this less with Tesla to try to let me focus on life outside of the stock market (which can be a challenge with such a compelling company as Tesla).

I said this yesterday:

Glad to see TSLA back up. However, I have to admit that a part of me would prefer it if TSLA didn't finish above or anywhere near 200 today and resembling a hanging man candlestick. I'll even settle with finishing flat or even down a couple of points. The biggest reason is with earnings next week, I don't want to see the stock price run up into earnings with any kind of price baked in and expectations so high.

Perhaps I'm still snake bit from Q3 earnings along with all those times I saw stocks like AAPL experience a run up like this before earnings only to see all of last month's gains disappear over night.

With TSLA trading flat today, I'm feeling a little more comfortable going into earnings next week.

On Wall St. it goes from Analyst to Associate to VP to Director to Managing Director. And then you have to higher up positions after that.

VP is like a middle of the road position, but it is a lot more lucrative than being a very high up person in a normal company. Some VP's can still make over a million dollars per year, and virtually all of them make more than $250k.

Banks pay a lot, because you work extremely long hours, such as 100h/week sometimes and a minimum of 70 hours per week, and some positions a minimum of 80 hours per week.

We sure could use some NHTSA good news soon.

I'm thinking Elon has the results already and is going to release them during earnings, and because he's waiting till earnings they must be something special. Something more than just "no recall" but also a comment from the NHTSA that because of the batteries the metal objects were not able to penetrate the underbody thus saving the drivers lives, and they intend on implementing new laws that require all cars to have batteries on the bottom and be electric ..

..okay so maybe I got a little carried away :smile: I do think Elon will release them during earnings though.

On Wall St. it goes from Analyst to Associate to VP to Director to Managing Director. And then you have to higher up positions after that.

VP is like a middle of the road position, but it is a lot more lucrative than being a very high up person in a normal company. Some VP's can still make over a million dollars per year, and virtually all of them make more than $250k.

Banks pay a lot, because you work extremely long hours, such as 100h/week sometimes and a minimum of 70 hours per week, and some positions a minimum of 80 hours per week.

Yep, and for junior analysts / associates those hours can mean working the equivalent of two $40k a year jobs every week, which you could also do working at, you know, Kinko's or something. Had many friends in b-school who told me of the meat grinder on the Street. Can be lucrative, but not before you put your time in I guess.

I think that at this point NHTSA announcement most likely will come after ER, it is unlikely to be released just three business days before the call. The release week or so after the ER might be very beneficial in sustaining the rally...

The San Francisco Chronicle, May 31, 1896: The San Francisco call. (San Francisco [Calif.]) 1895-1913, May 31, 1896, Page 27, Image 27 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

"The era of the horseless carriage is coming as sure as the era of good country roads. The champions of the horse may poohpooh the idea and assert that pleasure loving man will never surrender the steed of flesh and blood to a mere piece of twentieth century mechanism..."

Fun read, Curt. Thanks.