Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[...]CNBC reporter: "Kevin, Kevin, do you drive one of these?"
[...] this woman came up to me and said "have you ever thought if it's good for you to sit on the world's largest battery? [...]
The potential energy stored in the battery is meaningless until you use it. This would be the same as sitting over a coiled spring (or fifteen gallons of gasoline). There is nothing coming from it that can be measured. You can measure voltage (or spring tension, or, I guess, weigh the gasoline), but until you turn the car on, nothing is happening. And in terms of EMF, you'd have to poke around where it's being used, so, the computers, or the inverters, and, of course, the motor. The thought of trying to hold a meter up near the motor wiring while simultaneously mashing the accelerator is kind of amusing. But, it's not about the battery. (Except in the "sitting on top of 15 gallons of gas" sense :wink: )

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one :biggrin:

Yeah, i do the same as Johan, bring my phone to the gym and hit refresh on google finance and TMC while stretching. Didn't know other people did that...I had a lunch date with my girlfriend about the same time as Credite suisse upgraded, and she was like "what's up with your phone, i thought the market was closed".

Yeah, i do the same as Johan, bring my phone to the gym and hit refresh on google finance and TMC while stretching. Didn't know other people did that...I had a lunch date with my girlfriend about the same time as Credite suisse upgraded, and she was like "what's up with your phone, i thought the market was closed".[/QUOTE]

You should be able to take her out for a nice dinner Friday night! :wink:

Edit: In all seriousness though: It pays to be vigilant if you have weeklies though. I have been in and out of the $260s several times this week. Never timing perfectly but have made money. Moved on to $270s just before market close......Hopefully Credite Suisse will allow me to take my family to a nice dinner Friday night.

Yeah, i do the same as Johan, bring my phone to the gym and hit refresh on google finance and TMC while stretching. Didn't know other people did that...I had a lunch date with my girlfriend about the same time as Credite suisse upgraded, and she was like "what's up with your phone, i thought the market was closed".[/QUOTE]

You should be able to take her out for a nice dinner Friday night! :wink:

Edit: In all seriousness though: It pays to be vigilant if you have weeklies though. I have been in and out of the $260s several times this week. Never timing perfectly but have made money. Moved on to $270s just before market close......Hopefully Credite Suisse will allow me to take my family to a nice dinner Friday night.
Follow closely with upgraded tends to be large spike that comes down later in day

When talking to my parents on the phone today, my mother mentioned that; "Tesla is coming out with the Model 3 in 2017." She knows and cares nothing about cars.

This must mean something.

I do not bring my phone anywhere near the gym, always stays in the car. I also don't train during trading hours though

Does anyone have trailing stop loss/limit orders on their TSLA? I just added one at 20% below the price, but given TSLA's volatility I don't know if that will encompass the range of reasonable price fluctuations. What do you think?

I don't think limit orders are a good idea. Especially not for TSLA that is so volatile. There must be a way where you can get a warning if the price drops 20 % or you may just pay attention during the day. Imagine if two Model S's went up in fire in one day combined with a chinese costumer crushing his car over some minor issue. That might push the stock down quite a bit, but I would for sure use that oppertunity to buy more shares if I had the money to do so

Does anyone have trailing stop loss/limit orders on their TSLA? I just added one at 20% below the price, but given TSLA's volatility I don't know if that will encompass the range of reasonable price fluctuations. What do you think?

Nope. During the forum panic, when TSLA dropped from 190 to 120, I increased my holdings by 50% in the 130s. Only sell if your thesis changes. Don't sell just because the market becomes irrational - and it will become irrational again.

The 52-week low is currently $116 or so and I think the ATH before that low was like $195. That is a 40% decline. The simplest way of hedging without taking the risk of triggering a stop loss is buying a protective put. Although that has its own set of caveats and of course costs money.

maybe a buy order at 20% below?
but I only have TSLA I plan on keeping right now..

hmm, just made tea. fortune says 'patience pays'

Last edited:

I tried out trailing % stop loss orders on some other stocks a few years ago. They were almost always a bad idea. Really they just solidify your losses at the worst possible time, sort of resembling margin calls that way. Never again for me.

I am surprised at today's price action. I thougth we would have a 'CS report' burst followed by consolidation a little lower. I see that there is a lot of weekly option action at the 260 level so we may be seing a little market manipulation. My theory will only prove to be true if we end the week at 260ish.

I use trailing stops to lock in gains, I have a real job (or two...) so I can't babysit the chart all day, but if I see a stock going up, and I think it's time to sell (it's getting near what I think is the top), I don't just sell, I put in a trailing stop at barely below the current price. The risk is that it drops to the stop and then flies upwards and I miss out, but more often it allows it to run up a bit more before selling and netting me just a bit more than had I sold using a market or limit order.
As with all other tactics there are risks, but there's never a way to avoid all risks, just mitigate them.

My brokerage has also just now implemented bracket orders, and I plan to use them a lot more in the future. Allows me to buy a stock, and set an automatic stop loss, along with a sell limit at the same time. Much better for peace of mind.

Figuring out where to put the stop (so that it doesn't get triggered by normal fluctuations, but still protects you from a sinking ship) is always a challenge, but not having one on a stock is a pretty big risk as far as I'm concerned.

I like doing this too. When I make a decision to sell something, either because I am satisfied it is at my goal or to cut losses, I instead set a stop loss just under market value. That way if I am wrong and it is set to run up so be it. Otherwise it will sell as I originally intended.