Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Socially Responsible Investments with TSLA Gains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
G

goinfraftw

@goinfraftw
1) do you own a house or similar
2) have you maxed out the roof(s) with PV?
3) got batteries?
4) 27 months ago, factoring in US Federal tax credits of 30%, since reduced, without batteries it cost me ~$1.80/watt
5) you can obviously do better with HW costs now
cheers

I was actually referring to buying/leasing a plot of land and putting a 1-3MW solar farm on it for passive income as an investment. Another person DM'd me and suggested me wind turbines, but here's some info I garnered from looking into solar farms last night:

- 1kW per 100 sq ft
- 1mW = 2.5 acres or 100k sq ft
- 4046.86 sq meters per 1 acre
- $21,250 and $42,500 per 1 acre

Costs
- 1 MW will require 4-5 acres
- Usually costs $820,000 and $1.36 million in 2017
- Usually payback period is 8 years at 13% annual RoR
- Approvals: Siting and permitting, however, is a lot more complicated. It can take 1-3 years to get all the necessary approvals and contracts completed for a solar farm.
- Maintenance: After a solar farm is complete and online, it needs little maintenance, and can be serviced about 3–4 times a year.
solar farm is 4-5 acres

Links

Solar Farms Guide For 2020: Cases, Land Requirements, Financing, Costs, How To - TheEnergyFix

How Much Money Do 1 MW Solar Farms Make Yearly? - ProfitableVenture

How Much Money Can a Solar Farm Make? | YSG Solar

What Type of Land is Suitable for Solar Farm? - Ask Solar Mango

What is a solar farm? Costs, land needs & more

7 Ways to Invest in, and Start a Solar Farm Business in 2021 | The Kickass Entrepreneur

Payback and ROI of Solar Energy for Farms & Businesses

Hope that helps others in this thread. The investment, if done properly, is pretty astounding in terms of cash dividends coming back. It made me much more interested in investing in solar stocks sometime in the next 2 years because the dividend income is going to be worthwhile compared to other (even tech) companies that aren't around. If you want to go all the way with building an actual solar farm/utility, then its totally worth the investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually referring to buying/leasing a plot of land and putting a 1-3MW solar farm on it for passive income as an investment. Another person DM'd me and suggested me wind turbines, but here's some info I garnered from looking into solar farms last night:
My concern would be that this relies on cooperation from the local utility, or being able to sell directly to a large buyer. What happens if in 2 years the utility decides to cut net meter rates in half?

• Disagree
Reactions: Artful Dodger
My concern would be that this relies on cooperation from the local utility, or being able to sell directly to a large buyer. What happens if in 2 years the utility decides to cut net meter rates in half?

Yeah, thought of that - contracts are usually in the 5 year variety with utilities from what I read. If that happens, I'd assume the cost of building a solar farm and the government subsidies around it would make the cost be better than cut in half, right?

• Disagree
Reactions: Artful Dodger
- 1kw per 1 sq meter
- 1kW per 100 sq ft

Shouldn't that be 10 sq ft?

Costs
- Approvals: Siting and permitting, however, is a lot more complicated. It can take 1-3 years to get all the necessary approvals and contracts completed for a solar farm.
- Maintenance: After a solar farm is complete and online, it needs little maintenance, and can be serviced about 3–4 times a year.
solar farm is 4-5 acres

I think the follow on numbers may be skewed as a result...

Dunno, I read 100 sq ft. Where'd you find 10 sq ft?
mterfeet.png

Solar Farms Guide For 2020: Cases, Land Requirements, Financing, Costs, How To - TheEnergyFix

"For example, for a 1 MW solar power plant installation, the solar farmland requirements will amount to 4 to 5 acres, assuming every kilowatt of solar power requires about 100 square feet of space."

I see the mistake, I'll update the post...
Cool. I think the disconnect is that although approximately 1kW of luminous flux hits every square meter, solar panels are nowhere near 100% efficient, and you have to account for panel spacing and all the other associated equipment.

Last edited:
Cool. I think the disconnect is that although approximately 1kW of luminous flux hits every square meter, solar panel are nowhere near 100% efficient, and you have to account for panel spacing and all the other associated equipment.

I know business/investments, not much of an engineer even with a degree in it though. Thanks for the fyi

I created a separate thread since I’ve been thinking along these lines for a few weeks, since so many were talking about buying mountains or islands with all their explosive TSLA gains. Warning: Do NOT solicit for people to join your investment. That is against TMC rules, and will result in a permanent ban.
Below is copied from the perpetual investment thread to get discussion started:

- 1kW per 100 sq ft

Costs
solar farm is 4-5 acres

Links

How Much Money Do 1 MW Solar Farms Make Yearly? - ProfitableVenture

How Much Money Can a Solar Farm Make? | YSG Solar

What Type of Land is Suitable for Solar Farm? - Ask Solar Mango

What is a solar farm? Costs, land needs & more

7 Ways to Invest in, and Start a Solar Farm Business in 2021 | The Kickass Entrepreneur

Payback and ROI of Solar Energy for Farms & Businesses

Hope that helps others in this thread. The investment, if done properly, is pretty astounding in terms of cash dividends coming back. It made me much more interested in investing in solar stocks sometime in the next 2 years because the dividend income is going to be worthwhile compared to other (even tech) companies that aren't around. If you want to go all the way with building an actual solar farm/utility, then its totally worth the investment.

When Tesla does another 5x, I will retire and:

.spend 10% of my gains to open an after school youth club, combined with acitvity club for the elderly.

I really think we need to get make a meet place for the youth and lonely elderly. :)

Home work help, food, gaming, bouldering, pool tables, cinema, wood crafting etc.

Will build a geodesic dome, 24meter diameter for this.. plenty of room.

Yeah, its a fantasy.. but another 5x aint impossible.

I’ve been developing a startup in the residential solar space for quite a while and we’re finally launching in the spring. PM’d a few people here about the general concept over the years.

We’re looking to cut customer acquisition costs nationwide and eliminate the 1-to-1 sales model that’s strangling our ability to scale in the US. I hope to chat about it here over the next few months pending discussions with the admins.

Excited to see all the things people here can do with their newfound wealth over the next decade or two! There’s certainly a lot of work to be done.

"For example, for a 1 MW solar power plant installation, the solar farmland requirements will amount to 4 to 5 acres, assuming every kilowatt of solar power requires about 100 square feet of space."

I see the mistake, I'll update the post...
@goinfraftw
my 11,655watt array covers 59.9 sq meters, about 650sq ft and makes 17.4 megawatt hours/year
(roughly multiply by 67 to get an acre)
good luck with your project.! i suspect it is way off topic for here though
be sure to investigate VPP's (virtual Power Plants) like going in in South Australia and such

Ha, this is so on-time for me. I had a zoom call with an operator/installer of solar farms on friday, and am awaiting an email from him this week on potential sites for me to finance a few solar farms or rooftop installations. Will report back when I actually have some hard data. This is in the UK sadly, not sunny sunny california, but we still have SOME sun here :D.
I did already stick about 30 solar panels on the roof of my local school, but that was charity, not investment.

Community solar is getting ready to explode. Pennsylvania is about to "legalize" it as an easily accessed product and I can't wait. If it's treated like virtual net metering, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't buy in.

Would LOVE to work with a 3rd party, hell even Tesla, to design/develop/operate a solar farm finance by TMCers and offering community solar subscriptions to the masses. Freedom farms!

I created a separate thread since I’ve been thinking along these lines for a few weeks, since so many were talking about buying mountains or islands with all their explosive TSLA gains. Warning: Do NOT solicit for people to join your investment. That is against TMC rules, and will result in a permanent ban.
Below is copied from the perpetual investment thread to get discussion started:

if you go to a farm show there will be vendors looking for acreage to install solar. In my discussions with one of them, the minimum acreage was 30 acres if I remember correctly. Seemed high but may vary depending on the tariff structure.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
if you go to a farm show there will be vendors looking for acreage to install solar. In my discussions with one of them, the minimum acreage was 30 acres if I remember correctly. Seemed high but may vary depending on the tariff structure.

I've read, during this due diligence, its around $2500 / month per acre for leasing empty land

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf