Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Socially Responsible Investments with TSLA Gains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read, during this due diligence, its around $2500 / month per acre for leasing empty land

I think that's too optimistic of a number. After all, there is costs that are probably not baked in to that figure. Taxes, both on the income and on the land, interest on any loan, as well as the salary of the maintainers of the solar farm--washing them to keep production up, keeping out trespassers or wire eating rodents, repairing damage from wire eating rodents and hail, etc.

Reactions: goinfraftw
This is a very interesting thread. I have been trying to understand how to further accelerate the transition to renewable energy and cut fossil fuel off from the cashflow that they use against us.

One is advocating for going electric around your neighbors and friends. I have very mixed results with that, and it is very frustrating to me when they buy the next new gas car despite having test driven the Model 3 and having been explained that the new gas car is going to lose value like a rock once the electric cars are better understood and have fully self driving and other features adding value beyond 'can be driven manually from a to b'. They are buying a new gas car now and are stuck with it for the next ten years as their car loan goes upside down.

Often it is a question of immediate budget, and so for relatives, I am considering sponsoring the decision, i.e. if they have $350/month payments in their budget but not $450/month, then I could cover the $100/month if it allows them to make the transition now instead of in two years. However my spouse is much less excited about that idea and wants to have a full budget planning with worst case scenarios for college for both our teens done first, despite the obvious portfolio size increase over the last few years. Probably not wrong about that.

Another idea I have is to get into real estate flipping, buy homes in good locations with close to replacement needing roofs and decent garages, add Tesla solar roof, electric car chargers, renovated air conditioning with heat pump to displace gas furnace use, and sell them to the woke crowd that already drives electric or is about to.

Another one is to find out about community projects and builder projects, and try to insert myself with the idea and maybe some budget, to provide solar and electric charging places for tenants. One inhibitor to the adoption to electric driving is apartment dwellers that do not have a garage for EV charging and don't want to be following the old gas station visit model with superchargers. If we enabled work place charging off of solar at daytime, and also at public transportation where people park as they commute to the city next year once the pandemic is under control, it could lower some of those barriers.

Any other ideas?

be cautious. not everyone has positive thoughts about solar PV farms. as an example
Stuarts Draft, Virginia, near Round Hill,
what's being discussed on Facebook is a group of an unknown size opposed

This is an 83 megawatt PV array
(I expect it to go through)
essentially free electricity from sunlight, with no fuel cost
snip
".........On Tuesday, January 12 at 7:00 pm the Augusta County Planning Commission will hold a public hearing at the Government Center in Verona on the proposed Round Hill Solar Project. This 880 acre project will be located in the viewshed along Tinkling Spring, Churchman’s Mill and White Hill Roads with 560 acres covered with 12 foot high solar panels that will not be effectively screened by landscape buffers. It will fundamentally change the rural character of the Stuarts Draft community and destroy this iconic farming landscape. If you are opposed to this invasive large scale solar project, it is important that you attend the public hearing and express your opposition.”............"

https://www.roundhillsolarproject.c...-Community-Meeting-Package-2020-07-24_web.pdf

Round Hill Solar

Another one is to find out about community projects and builder projects, and try to insert myself with the idea and maybe some budget, to provide solar and electric charging places for tenants. One inhibitor to the adoption to electric driving is apartment dwellers that do not have a garage for EV charging and don't want to be following the old gas station visit model with superchargers. If we enabled work place charging off of solar at daytime, and also at public transportation where people park as they commute to the city next year once the pandemic is under control, it could lower some of those barriers.
Great response. Many of your ideas are outside of my ability and comfort level. I would like to be the person who fixes and flips houses or runs commercial real estate, but that’s not my skill set. Here’s an PNW organization that helps fund and install solar and retrofits: https://www.communityenergyproject.org/our-services/
I’m planning to donate dollars directly, less work for me while I still feel good and have time to maximize production of garden vegetables.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Great response. Many of your ideas are outside of my ability and comfort level. I would like to be the person who fixes and flips houses or runs commercial real estate, but that’s not my skill set. Here’s an PNW organization that helps fund and install solar and retrofits: Our Services - Community Energy Project
I’m planning to donate dollars directly, less work for me while I still feel good and have time to maximize production of garden vegetables.
I've been toying with that idea myself. I think high tech farming will be where we head in the future with smaller production facilities located near people. Fresher food, less waste, etc. I have a small bit of exposure to the space due to my Reef aquarium hobby (building LED fixtures and understanding the basics of wavelengths)

Perhaps aquaponics as well. My other idea to give back to the world is to simply grow coral. Our reefs may be gone in the next couple decades so we need to preserve these amazing animals and hopefully reintroduce them to new areas as existing reefs die.

be cautious. not everyone has positive thoughts about solar PV farms. as an example
Stuarts Draft, Virginia, near Round Hill,
what's being discussed on Facebook is a group of an unknown size opposed

This is an 83 megawatt PV array
(I expect it to go through)
essentially free electricity from sunlight, with no fuel cost
snip
".........On Tuesday, January 12 at 7:00 pm the Augusta County Planning Commission will hold a public hearing at the Government Center in Verona on the proposed Round Hill Solar Project. This 880 acre project will be located in the viewshed along Tinkling Spring, Churchman’s Mill and White Hill Roads with 560 acres covered with 12 foot high solar panels that will not be effectively screened by landscape buffers. It will fundamentally change the rural character of the Stuarts Draft community and destroy this iconic farming landscape. If you are opposed to this invasive large scale solar project, it is important that you attend the public hearing and express your opposition.”............"

https://www.roundhillsolarproject.c...-Community-Meeting-Package-2020-07-24_web.pdf

Round Hill Solar
This project was turned down on a 4-3 vote

• Informative
Reactions: aubreymcfato
I've been funneling some TSLA proceeds into my residential solar startup inspired by many of the themes espoused here on TMC. I'll obviously be trolling the membership here in the years to come offering equity, but I have a couple questions for the near term:

1) I was able to funnel some cash from an IRA for 2020 working capital via the CARES Act, but now the remainder of my holdings are sitting in a Fidelity IRA. I have about double what I need for a modest retirement and am reading about a guy who successfully bankrolled his startup from a "self directed" Roth IRA. Anyone have experience with such an effort?

I hold 99% of my equity and would love to "buy" maybe 10% within a self directed Roth to self-fund, maintain as much control as possible, and avoid tax on appreciation. There are rules against self-dealing in self-directed IRAs, but it seems like that is exclusively in the real estate or direct loan side of things. To me it seems this is achievable with any LLC selling shares, regardless of existing ownership.

2) Can the appropriate mod/admin hit me up with a PM? I'm interested in discussing/brainstorming UX & customer journey with folks here in the Energy forum and don't want it to come off as self-promotion. Eventually I might be pitching to these island owners for equity and want to be transparent from the start. I'm on like my 3rd weekly ban, so my leash is already short!

Gracias for any help & info!

I've been funneling some TSLA proceeds into my residential solar startup inspired by many of the themes espoused here on TMC. I'll obviously be trolling the membership here in the years to come offering equity, ……

…… don't want it to come off as self-promotion. Eventually I might be pitching to these island owners for equity and want to be transparent from the start. I'm on like my 3rd weekly ban, so my leash is already short!
I would tread very lightly as this is explicitly against TMC rules.