Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software stuck on 2021.3.104, but Tesla thinks I am on 2021.4. How can this be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. I also bought my Tesla expecting to get the same updates as everyone else. Problem is, Tesla never actually said they would update all cars with the same new features as far as I know.

Now it is certainly possible that we will one day be updated with the same new features as other cars, and that is the outcome I am hoping for, but what will we do if that is not the case? Suppose Tesla tells us cars made in Mid 2021 will not be capable of running the latest software due to hardware constraints? Would they be within their rights to do this?

What if your Tesla today is the best it will ever be?

This is new ground as far as I am aware. We never really had software defined cars before.

I agree. I also bought my Tesla expecting to get the same updates as everyone else. Problem is, Tesla never actually said they would update all cars with the same new features as far as I know.

Now it is certainly possible that we will one day be updated with the same new features as other cars, and that is the outcome I am hoping for, but what will we do if that is not the case? Suppose Tesla tells us cars made in Mid 2021 will not be capable of running the latest software due to hardware constraints? Would they be within their rights to do this?

What if your Tesla today is the best it will ever be?

This is new ground as far as I am aware. We never really had software defined cars before.
take it as a lesson, and look for alternatives. Tesla should really take care of what they promise and the brand is standing for.

Reactions: rjpjnk
finally, 2021.3.105 getting some love under teslafi.com

1632762130893.jpeg

Reactions: rjpjnk
I love my Tesla and will likely continue to do so even if it never gets a software update, but still I find myself in this mindset where, like many others, I am expecting updates, and feel disappointed when they don't show up. I feel entitled to these updates, so why aren't there here? I for one would feel rather cheated if I were to find out that Tesla has no plans to ever update our "depression cars" made during the chip shortages, but then I got to thinking. Did Tesla ever promise me anything?

All I see on their website regarding updates is this

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.20.17 PM.png

And that doesn't promise much.

So what are our expectations regarding updates? Has anyone seen a clear statement from Tesla on this?

We may all laugh at this 2021.3.104 Islanding in a few months as all our cars are brought onto the main line software release and feature parity, but eventually there will come a day where new features will not be supported on older hardware, just as it is with computer apps and operating systems.

I think this is worth pondering.

I believe we are cutting a new path here as the early adopters of what is essentially becoming a software defined vehicle. In the old days you bought a car, and if all went well it had the same capabilities on its last day as its first. Now we are buyers of cars that change and effectively "grow" new features over time. What should we expect in terms of support? I would like to expect that manufacturers make every effort to make new SW defined features backwards compatible with as many cars as possible, but is it reasonable to expect this? What would be their motivation to spend the extra money in SW development to maintain separate load lines for older vehicles, or vehicles with "unusual" parts used only for a short period?

• Disagree
Reactions: FalconNinetyD