Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SvC call today because my GPS would intermittently "stick" and I got some warnings about auto collision avoidance disabled and stuff.

So they pushed a firmware update to my car.

Installed a little while ago and I checked version ... Came here to find out what's new.

Anyway: I could hear the engineer in the background when I asked if the GPS "maybe fix" could also be in the firmware update they claim was going to sort probs with auto steer and auto brake - didn't get exact words but engineer said both would see bug fixes in this update.

How fortunate for me that I called on the very day 2018.10 started rolling out and I got bumped to the front (ish) of the queue.

I wish there is a big "Thanks and Godspeed" button so that everyone on the road can do so easily!

SvC call today because my GPS would intermittently "stick" and I got some warnings about auto collision avoidance disabled and stuff.

Installed a little while ago and I checked version ... Came here to find out what's new.

Anyway: I could hear the engineer in the background when I asked if the GPS "maybe fix" could also be in the firmware update they claim was going to sort probs with auto steer and auto brake - didn't get exact words but engineer said both would see bug fixes in this update.

How fortunate for me that I called on the very day 2018.10 started rolling out and I got bumped to the front (ish) of the queue.

What version were you on before?

DA677E9A-08FD-4F26-BC2F-EF18C64C1418.jpeg

MX is still in the shop but sounds like it took a while to get the firmware installed. Here’s the view of the controls from the app, with the frunk and trunk controls.

have seen several GB of data loaded to car this year, (2018.6.1 now) - unfortunately not been monitoring closely.
suspect new maps are being progressively sent and will switch over at some point.

also correlates with a failed navigation service startup preventing routing which required the SC to remotely fix.

Bit too much data for frunk/trunk opening code anyway!

This is not going to Ap2 cars...
What? You mean vs 2.5? The first ones were 2.5.

Edit: TeslaFi has 1 of 12 as AP2, rest 2.5 and 1, etc.

Not statistically significant on 12 cars. We also know this is a feature release above all else. No way it’s to a subpopulation. (Trunk and Frunk release.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Have you tried driving it? Is Autopilot any different?

I’m guessing they’re not done beta testing the new Autopilot changes yet....

So I finally got to test out Autopilot on 2018.10 this morning... here's the report you've all been waiting for!

And sorry to disappoint, but I see no major changes. I tested on local urban streets (still pretty terrible) and divided highway. There was not a lot of traffic on the highway this morning, so it wasn't a great test, but I did a lot of auto lane changing. The lane change might be ever so slightly better, or it might just be my imagination. Definitely this is not a step change; at best it's an incremental improvement.

The good news is that I have not seen the front ultrasonic sensors fail so far since the update! I even left the car out in the driveway overnight to give it a good cold soak, which has been reported to trigger them to fail, and they still worked in the morning. So maybe the big deal about this firmware release is that it finally fixes longstanding bugs with ultrasonic sensors, GPS, and other random sensor problems that people have been experiencing for the past 4-5 months.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also tested TACC approaching stopped cars at 50mph. I saw no improvement. I got uncomfortable and hit the brake before it even started slowing down or displaying the cars on the IC.

Last edited: