Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think we ever had "control". AFAIK, it was automatic based on ambient temperatures.
When I first called Tesla to report issues with my heated steering wheel and heated seats
They asked me to look in the app. When I told her I didn’t have anything but temperature control . She had me check my version of the app and it was up to date.
So, she was quite surprised.

Will try to get some vid ...
Anyone else notice the rear view camera is much better with this update? Not sure if it is zoomed or more detail or less fish eye or faster frame rate?

Yeah, honestly I feel like the frame rate of the entire MCU is much better with .16. I was on .12 before. Not only does the MCU seem remarkably faster and more responsive, but the frame rate is noticeably different. The map display is extremely smooth while in motion (not jumpy like it used to be) and there are some graphical polishes that I've noticed (like minimizing and stuff) that I never noticed before (it may have just been too choppy to really show).

The map specifically is pretty much as smooth as the NEW cluster NAV map. 60fps, which is what is advertised on the new NAV map.

Maybe an MCU update from 15fps to 60fps?

Separate, always
New Maps
20180501_212334.jpg

20180501_212415.jpg

I was thinking rather than pay for a new MCU... I'm hoping we can wait and puchase a new oled screen with the mcu.... no need for an interior refresh, all tesla has to do is keep updating the screens and processors.

I got 2018.16 this morning 2017 S90D AP2 MCU1. My observations so far:

Bad:
Steering wheel heat does not work
Premium sound is still awful - no changes since it was altered in 2018.14
Auto-Pilot still ping-pongs dramatically in the lane at very low speeds - TACC braking seems less "natural" , slight wandering feel in the wheel with AP2 at higher speeds - basically no AP2 / TACC improvements / possible degradation in function
No browser performance improvement

Good:
Auto-Wipers seem to be working / reacting better to moisture / rain

Overall, this update is a bust - anytime there is less functionality than before, it should be pulled ASAP. I read many posts explaining the steering wheel heat issue, etc...and saw the slowdown of the update on TeslaFi, but this time I received it faster than usual (and wish I hadn't)

...Would someone with 2018.16 on MCU1 try bit.ly/2pi7JML on their car browser and let us know the results?

Updated from 2018.12 to 2018.16. I noticed my max Wi-Fi throughput (tested at fast.com) is increased from 2.5Mbps to 7.1Mbps.

Kanting - Any chance you would run that test above? And/or browserbench.org/JetStream/ which also crashes for me, at splay-latency (second row, second column). The first used to run, so that it now crashes seems more problematic. I don't know if the second would ever run on MCU1.

Last edited:
Just got 2018.16 (from 2018.12) and wow, UI is much faster. I still have 2018.12 on the Model X and the difference between the two is noticeable. When driving around so that the maps are rotating, the refresh rate of the maps on the 17" display feels like 30fps now versus 15fps on the older firmware. Rear view camera pops up instantly when shifting to reverse where before it would lag a few seconds. Even the hiding and unhiding of the icons at top is much smoother.

Reactions: croman and ahkahn
Kanting - Any chance you would run that test above? Or browserbench.org/JetStream/ which also crashes, for me at splay-latency (second row, second column). The first used to run, so that it now crashes seems more problematic. I don't know if the second would ever run on MCU1.

Okay I got the SunSpider completed once (see the result below) but when I rerun it it keeps crashing (webpage reloaded) at the end of the 1st loop. Also, my JetStream never completed, and the 1st time it crashed at typescript and the other times at splay-latency.

upload_2018-5-2_10-29-34.png

That would be great. With 10.4 I maxed out at 2.9Mbps even with access point only 1m away from the right mirror.

My connection with my access point is 5 meters away through a plywood wall!

Thank
Okay I got the SunSpider completed once (see the result below) but when I rerun it it keeps crashing (webpage reloaded) at the end of the 1st loop. Also, my JetStream never completed, and the 1st time it crashed at typescript and the other times at splay-latency...
Thank you. The one SunSpider result you managed to get is worse than my old one by more than 30% (6000ms vs 4500ms). I have no idea what that means. If anyone else can run it, results would be appreciated. New MCU2 scores run 780ms.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: croman