Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During my SC appointment this week to fix an intermittent door handle issue, I got updated from 2018.2 to 2018.16. I have a 2014 MS60 AP1 car.

Has anyone else noticed that AP is significantly worse on surface roads in this version? It is still fine on a highway or major divided road, but around town AP has trouble finding the lane and bounces all over it (sometimes even out of it). I find myself canceling it multiple times during drives.

I know I missed a few versions of the updates and have an AP1 car which is better than the AP2 (at least until recently), but this seems contrary to all the raving reviews I have seen online. wondering if others have experienced this, or if it is only AP1 cars that are experiencing it.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
Has anyone else noticed that AP is significantly worse on surface roads in this version? It is still fine on a highway or major divided road, but around town AP has trouble finding the lane and bounces all over it (sometimes even out of it). I find myself canceling it multiple times during drives...

Do you still have auto lane change on surface roads? All I know is that I really liked that feature in an older model S loaner from the SC last fall and we still don't have it in AP2 cars. As I recall, that older S also drove excellently on surface roads.
Perhaps your old AP firmware modules have been 'upgraded' to the latest AP firmware modules.

I took my car to a SvC on Friday for some work and when it was there I got a notification for a new update (was on 2018.12). I picked up the car Friday afternoon and scheduled the update since the SvC didn't actually make the update but rather just appeared to stage it. By the time I left the lot, the update disappeared.

I suspect it might have been 2018.16 (or some variant of that), but don't know for sure. Can only suspect that the update disappeared because it was rolled back?

Looking on TeslaFi this morning and it looks like updates have all but stopped for the 2nd weekend in a row. Not sure what to make of all of this.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Do you still have auto lane change on surface roads? All I know is that I really liked that feature in an older model S loaner from the SC last fall and we still don't have it in AP2 cars. As I recall, that older S also drove excellently on surface roads.
Perhaps your old AP firmware modules have been 'upgraded' to the latest AP firmware modules.
Yes, I can still use AP to change lanes on surface roads, but it restricts the speed a lot more and sometimes incorrectly. For example, I used it last night on a straight major road with a speed limit of 45. I set it at 52 and it restricted it to 50, then dropped it to 35 through a school zone, even though it was not applicable at the time. Basically, it put me over 10 MPH under the set speed and well under the actual speed limit.

Can u not to that on an AP2 car?

PS, got my map update 4 days after firmware upgrade.

Last edited:
Yes, I can still use AP to change lanes on surface roads, but it restricts the speed a lot more and sometimes incorrectly...
Sure wish my "Enhanced" AP2 would change lanes on surface roads.
Yes, AP2 is restricted to 5 MPH over a GPS position-related speed limit taken from some database. Sometimes the database is quite wrong or has no speed limit information. When there is no info, the default limit is 40 MPH.

I took my car to a SvC on Friday for some work and when it was there I got a notification for a new update (was on 2018.12). I picked up the car Friday afternoon and scheduled the update since the SvC didn't actually make the update but rather just appeared to stage it. By the time I left the lot, the update disappeared.

I suspect it might have been 2018.16 (or some variant of that), but don't know for sure. Can only suspect that the update disappeared because it was rolled back?

Looking on TeslaFi this morning and it looks like updates have all but stopped for the 2nd weekend in a row. Not sure what to make of all of this.
I would assume (lol) they are switching to 18 that has appeared on one or two cars and was supposed to have the steering wheel fix and who knows what else. Except that it’s so weird that when a new release comes out you often see people still getting the previous one and the one before that...

This release system defies explanation (never mind comprehension...).

Reactions: _jal_ and jorobsand
This release system defies explanation (never mind comprehension...)

Agree. I didn't say anything to the SvC considering the issues many are having with 2018.16, so I feel pretty content staying on 2018.12. I am curious to see the browser enhancement that started with 2018.14 but I don't think it's worth the loss in functionality in the stereo and gripes some are having with AP.

I have the new maps, so I am good until the fix :).

This AP restriction to 5mph over limit on non freeway roads is fairly new. (Driving Feb 2017 AP2 model S). I commute down 20 miles of nice straight limited access state highway. Now I’m a stone in the stream. Slowest driver on the road. Can’t use AP anymore to commute. Hope this is temporary. Long haul freeway trips still great for me.

I would assume (lol) they are switching to 18 that has appeared on one or two cars and was supposed to have the steering wheel fix and who knows what else. Except that it’s so weird that when a new release comes out you often see people still getting the previous one and the one before that...

This release system defies explanation (never mind comprehension...).

Some people may have had the updates staged but delayed installing them for some reason. For example, if they were on vacation without their Tesla.

Or if they are on vacation with their Tesla and don't want to risk a broken update. I did this in January on the way to the North Cape.
Definitely a possibility that it downloaded, was a later install and then was picked up by ev-fw.com and TeslaFi. Seems to be a lot of them... I haven’t done a real analysis, though.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Brought this over from the Model X Crash thread...

Why does AP2 behave differently? On a fundamental level, the software was written by different people. So naturally they did it very differently.

I have some empirical evidence that AP2 preferentially follows the left-hand lane markings, and only uses the right-hand lane marking to determine the width of the lane. And that width calculation appears to happen at a slower update rate than lane following.

Our local HOV lanes have double lines, spaced a few feet apart, between the HOV lane and the regular traffic lanes. Periodically there is a stretch where you are allowed to transfer on/off the HOV lane. When that happens the lines merge and the HOV lane gets several feet wider.

What happens when AP2 comes across this sudden widening? It follows the left-hand line at the same distance for a couple of car lengths, and then suddenly jerks towards the "new" center of the lane.

Similarly when the transfer section ends and the lane narrows up again, AP2 drives straight for a bit, and then suddenly jerks towards the "new" center of the lane again.

These jerks are so violent that I disengage autopilot when using the HOV lanes. On longer stretches I may turn it on, but then hold the wheel very solidly when we transition... or simply turn AP off just before it happens.

My analysis of this behavior suggests that there several algorithms that run at different update rates. First there's some pretty smart logic that tries to find the left and right lane markings. Once it has that figured out, there are three algorithms that determine the car's trajectory. One algorithm makes the car follow the calculated center of the lane. A second algorithm watches the left-hand lane markings and calculates where that lane center is based on where the left line is plus half of what AP2 thinks the lane width is. A third algorithm, which clearly runs on a slower update rate, looks at the right and left markings and calculates the lane width. I believe that is the best explanation of AP2's extremely non-graceful reaction to a relatively quick change in the lane width.

Of course there may be exceptions to the above, but I haven't seen any AP2 behaviors that contradict it.

So yes, if the algorithm picks up the wrong left-hand line at a leftward exit lane, it will tend to pull the car onto the shoulder between the lanes. It will then see the apparently widening lane and get confused, probably veering somewhat rightward after a bit because it thinks the lane is getting wider.

Why would it be programmed this way? If I had to guess, it's to avoid having the car follow the right-side line onto off ramps. Something that AP1 loved to do, as I recall.

I just recently drove on the HOV lanes with autopilot engaged. This issue with the sudden jerking when the lanes narrow and widened has been completely eliminated. The car now handles it gracefully. It smoothly moves into the center of the widened lane, and then back to the center when the lanes narrow again.

From the display it looks like it no longer interprets the two lines separated by two feet as a lane, which it definitely used to do.

This is a major improvement.

Brought this over from the Model X Crash thread...

I just recently drove on the HOV lanes with autopilot engaged. This issue with the sudden jerking when the lanes narrow and widened has been completely eliminated. The car now handles it gracefully. It smoothly moves into the center of the widened lane, and then back to the center when the lanes narrow again.

From the display it looks like it no longer interprets the two lines separated by two feet as a lane, which it definitely used to do.

This is a major improvement.

This behavior is actually dangerous. I have called and emailed Tesla "escalated" and have spoken to my service center about it. When driving in the right lane and passing a entrance ramp the car will move to the right to the middle of what "would be" two lines. People entering from the entrance ramp as well as those around you are not certain of what you are doing and it is very dangerous. Have had people going around honking their horns, turning heads, etc... thinking I must be texting or something. I have been informed by my SC from their discussions with the escalation team that it WILL be fixed in an upcoming software release.

This behavior is actually dangerous. I have called and emailed Tesla "escalated" and have spoken to my service center about it. When driving in the right lane and passing a entrance ramp the car will move to the right to the middle of what "would be" two lines. People entering from the entrance ramp as well as those around you are not certain of what you are doing and it is very dangerous. Have had people going around honking their horns, turning heads, etc... thinking I must be texting or something. I have been informed by my SC from their discussions with the escalation team that it WILL be fixed in an upcoming software release.

I've never experienced that. Must be something different about how they paint the lines in your region.

Surely the software can tell the difference between a lane widening/narrowing by a couple of feet, versus a whole extra lane.

Exactly. I find myself always having to monitor merging traffic to see if I need to disconnect AP simply for safety purposes.

Reactions: boonedocks
I've never experienced that. Must be something different about how they paint the lines in your region.

Surely the software can tell the difference between a lane widening/narrowing by a couple of feet, versus a whole extra lane.
Doug, this is not an unusual situation. Happens to me all the time when confronted with freeway on ramps. AP cannot see merging traffic when it is out of sight of the cameras. It just sees two lines and tries to center the car between them without noticing there is a merging car coming up from behind on the right.

QUOTE="Doug_G, post: 2724557, member: 2892"]I've never experienced that. Must be something different about how they paint the lines in your region.

Surely the software can tell the difference between a lane widening/narrowing by a couple of feet, versus a whole extra lane.[/QUOTE]
Nope it can not. Here is but one of many examples of this:

E775EF32-6FEE-4011-8588-365DF981AA3C.jpeg
[

I've never encountered that. But our merge lanes tend to have dotted lines across them all the way along. But I didn't have that happen on a recent trip to NY/NJ recently. That said, it may have still been on 2018.14 at the time.

I did have a (repeated) curious situation on that trip, though, e.g. when coming across a gore point where the highway split. I used the steering wheel to override the autopilot to exit right. It went "Bing-Bong" to indicate that the Autopilot disengaged, and THEN a few seconds later "BEEP BEEP BEEP" and "Take over" on the display. Well thanks for startling me but I already took over and you knew about it. It did that half a dozen times during that trip. Not helpful.

Another weird thing it did on that trip - once in a while an Autopilot lane change would suddenly abort for no reason midway through. Blinker is still on, absolutely nothing in the way. When the car jerked back I overrode it with the steering wheel. This happened at least half a dozen times, and on several of those it also did the BEEP BEEP BEEP "Take over" thing after disengaging.

I did have a (repeated) curious situation on that trip, though, e.g. when coming across a gore point where the highway split. I used the steering wheel to override the autopilot to exit right. It went "Bing-Bong" to indicate that the Autopilot disengaged, and THEN a few seconds later "BEEP BEEP BEEP" and "Take over" on the display. Well thanks for startling me but I already took over and you knew about it. It did that half a dozen times during that trip. Not helpful.

Yeah, I really dislike this too. The intention was that a recent AP disengagement + slow drifting over a lane line triggers a warning in case the user accidentally disengaged AP. The only way to defeat it seems to be to make a significant steering command alongside with disengaging AP.

It falsely triggers for me all the time when I try to do a smooth lane change on a straight highway.

Reactions: croman and conman