Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I really dislike this too. The intention was that a recent AP disengagement + slow drifting over a lane line triggers a warning in case the user accidentally disengaged AP. The only way to defeat it seems to be to make a significant steering command alongside with disengaging AP.

It falsely triggers for me all the time when I try to do a smooth lane change on a straight highway.

Ah, okay. Well I'm not jerking the car around at highway speed. Now that I know it's coming I can ignore it.

Of course "crying wolf" is a great way to reduce the effectiveness of a warning.

This stuff ain't easy to get right.

Reactions: chillaban
I've never experienced that. Must be something different about how they paint the lines in your region.

Surely the software can tell the difference between a lane widening/narrowing by a couple of feet, versus a whole extra lane.

My '18 P100D does exactly the same thing. When in the right lane on AP, as the right line appears to get extra wide to allow for the on ramp, the car moves to the middle of this wider "lane" and gradually moves back left as the on ramp merges into the right lane. Surprised the heck out of me when it did that. I'm on 12.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Interesting Teslafi log entries ... rollbacks from 16? Note the second entry.. previous version 18.16, new version 18.12

upload_2018-5-7_12-26-36.png

Yeah, I really dislike this too. The intention was that a recent AP disengagement + slow drifting over a lane line triggers a warning in case the user accidentally disengaged AP. The only way to defeat it seems to be to make a significant steering command alongside with disengaging AP.

It falsely triggers for me all the time when I try to do a smooth lane change on a straight highway.
Yes for an 8 hour drive I did recently on the open highways for which the maps did not recognise or allow auto lane change to work, I had this happen almost every single time when I manually changed lanes, which amounted to over a hundred times. Very annoying.

Yes for an 8 hour drive I did recently on the open highways for which the maps did not recognise or allow auto lane change to work, I had this happen almost every single time when I manually changed lanes, which amounted to over a hundred times. Very annoying.

I find that it only happens within 1-2 seconds of manually disengaging AP (when manually changing lanes). It thinks you've lost control of the vehicle and it no longer is operating (accidental disengagement). I find if I signal and let it blink twice fully before changing lanes, it does not throw up the red hands of death warning.

I find that it only happens within 1-2 seconds of manually disengaging AP (when manually changing lanes). It thinks you've lost control of the vehicle and it no longer is operating (accidental disengagement). I find if I signal and let it blink twice fully before changing lanes, it does not throw up the red hands of death warning.
I obviously must drive much more aggressively than you :p

• Funny
Reactions: croman
It's interesting (well it is to me anyway) that the 2018.16 roll-out is still continuing. My car downloaded 2018.16 while on the WiFi at my house this afternoon (evidence supported by router / access point stats). My car is apparently one of two on TeslaFi that got 2018.16 today, as opposed to the fifty-eight cars that updated to 2018.18. :confused:

Oh well, I don't have the cold weather package, so no heated steering wheel anyway. Hopefully the MCU won't crash randomly like I had with 2018.12 (not a lot, but definitely enough to make me go "hmmm").

My first release with the "new" browser...it can display my work's external-facing portal with a fairly complicated SVG-based network map, although the one time I tried this, it took about a minute to render and it made the browser unusable (couldn't even click off to another page, so I ended up rebooting the MCU to get things back into a sane state).

Bruce.

EDIT: S85D (so obviously AP1 and MCU1)

Last edited:
It's interesting (well it is to me anyway) that the 2018.16 roll-out is still continuing. My car downloaded 2018.16 while on the WiFi at my house this afternoon (evidence supported by router / access point stats). My car is apparently one of two on TeslaFi that got 2018.16 today, as opposed to the fifty-eight cars that updated to 2018.18. :confused:

Oh well, I don't have the cold weather package, so no heated steering wheel anyway. Hopefully the MCU won't crash randomly like I had with 2018.12 (not a lot, but definitely enough to make me go "hmmm").

My first release with the "new" browser...it can display my work's external-facing portal with a fairly complicated SVG-based network map, although the one time I tried this, it took about a minute to render and it made the browser unusable (couldn't even click off to another page, so I ended up rebooting the MCU to get things back into a sane state).

Bruce.

Very interesting!

Yeah 2018.12 is getting long in the tooth for me. Starting to get a little weary of the occasional MCU instability, though I've been quite happy with AP2 performance and everything else in this build.

So half of me wants something newer, the other half wonders if I might regret it!